By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How To Build A Solid $500 Gaming PC For Fallout 4 And GTA V

Azuren said:

All fine and dandy, but the point of my post was pointing out that playing from the couch is not a PC experience. It's an awkward console experience. 

How exactly is it awkward? You can set it up to be practically the same experience as a console experience and plus some (the additional features I mentioned.) Wasn't your argument that if you have a PC connected to a television you are missing out on PC gaming somehow? I listed plenty of things unique to PC gaming that you still enjoy with a television only platform, and which you cannot really do or do efficiently on consoles. You don't lose any of the console experience either. 

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Mr_No said:

Agreed. What's not to say that some parts of this budget PC won't have to be changed on the long (or short) run? I mean, if players would want a better PC experience without hassles and continuous upgrading, they'd want to spend more on the parts, and it wouldn't be a budget PC anymore. Sure, it can run Fallout 4 and GTA V decently as of now. But what about GTA 6? Or the next Fallout? The next Battlefield? The next Elder Scrolls? What about the future games we don't know about? Of course some upgrading will have to be done eventually. But wouldn't it be better for the gaming PC to be futureproof?

Well, the point is making a PC to run GTA V and Fallout 4, isn't it? Little to no point claiming it probably won't run on max games that doesn't even exist yet. Not to mention that when they do, the build will still outperform the graphic settings of PS4/X1 on every game bar the very few oddballs like Arkham Knight, which are complete clusterfucks. The build is fine, and it uses some of the best, if not the best, price/perf ratio pieces in the market. As for those claiming it is a weak build, it probably still outperforms over 90% gaming PCs in the planet, as per Steam data on hardware.

I can't speak for the rest of the people in this thread, but I don't think this is a weak build. Sure, the point is to make a PC that can run GTA V and Fallout 4 properly, but what about future games? Will they run on this build? If it doesn't, will the people buy more cheap parts to make it run recent games or will they just try to futureproof it by going for the recently released expensive parts?

Also, I know why people want to prove that PC gaming doesn't have to be as expensive as others claim, but I don't believe just showing them builds and how inexpensive they can be could convince the overwhelming majority to build a PC. After all, 90% of gaming PC's in the planet still perform lower than OP's build.

Mr_No said:

Also, I know why people want to prove that PC gaming doesn't have to be as expensive as others claim, but I don't believe just showing them builds and how inexpensive they can be could convince the overwhelming majority to build a PC. After all, 90% of gaming PC's in the planet still perform lower than OP's build.

I just want to stipulate the bolded. 90% of PC's used for gaming. A PC used for gaming doesn't necessarily have to be a gaming PC. It could be an office workstation that someone plays Leagues of Legends on in their free time. The main purpose of it is an office-workstation and therefore it is an office pc, not a gaming pc. 

Azuren said:
Kirin_gaming said:

Nope, I for example only had 5 things when I started living on my own.A mattress, a monitor, my gaming PC, my laptop and my PS3.The setup you mentioned would've been useless for me, since apparently you can't use a console with a monitor, just like you can't use a PC with a TV...

If that's all someone owns, then they have more pressing concerns than PC vs Console to worry about. 

Don't worry I was already making $2500 a week flipping cars at the time, and that was four years ago...I'm not sure where that PC vs console argument came from.I have all current gen consoles, some of them more than twice,and like I said before, I don't like cheap PCs, so I built myself one for $4000.Since we have to include peripherals in the price I guess it is a $10000 PC, That includes all the items that you guys mentioned should be included in the price along with my entertainment center, instead of a desk 'cause where else you gonna put a computer am I right? My sound system, a man needs good sound for his gaming.DS4 controller and Elite XB controller, cause how else you gonna play? Oh and my tv since I use that as monitor.Not sure if I should include the price of the electricity to power it, and the price of my house, since that PC has to go somewhere, ah what the hell $585,000.

I was gonna write about the freedom that you have with PC gaming, like you decide how you play your games, you choose whether to play with kb/m or gamepad,you decide the resolution, you decide whether you want more fps or graphical effects, but now that I look at the cost of PC gaming I don't think I'll ever recommend it again...

Mr_No said:
haxxiy said:

As for those claiming it is a weak build, it probably still outperforms over 90% gaming PCs in the planet, as per Steam data on hardware.

I can't speak for the rest of the people in this thread, but I don't think this is a weak build. Sure, the point is to make a PC that can run GTA V and Fallout 4 properly, but what about future games? Will they run on this build? If it doesn't, will the people buy more cheap parts to make it run recent games or will they just try to futureproof it by going for the recently released expensive parts?

It's not a weak build per se, but if I have the choice spending $600 on this build (OS + Keyboard/mouse + 360-controller included) or $650 - $660 for the same build with a R9 290 (4GB) instead of the R9 380 (2GB), I never would cheap out on the last 50 - 60 bucks.

The 10% higher price will bring at least 50% more performance and a lot less worries with badly optimized VRAM-hungry games.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Mr_No said:
haxxiy said:

As for those claiming it is a weak build, it probably still outperforms over 90% gaming PCs in the planet, as per Steam data on hardware.

It's not a weak build per se, but if I have the choice spending $600 on this build (OS + Keyboard/mouse + 360-controller included) or $650 - $660 for the same build with a R9 290 (4GB) instead of the R9 380 (2GB), I never would cheap out on the last 50 - 60 bucks.

The 10% higher price will bring at least 50% more performance and a lot less worries with badly optimized VRAM-hungry games.

Actually the r9 290 isn't even that much greater price-wise (if fan-noise isn't an issue - I personally hear any AMD card, they are all loud, so I don't mind.) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043

$220 after rebate for a Sapphire R9 290 vs. $199 (after rebate) for the 2GB r9 380 in the OP. Although I suppose the power supply in the OP would probably have to be changed as well since the r9 290 has 35% higher TDP than the r9 380. 

Everyone forgets keyboard and mouse in builds. Not gonna buy a console without the gaming controller, other ps4 would just be $290

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
Everyone forgets keyboard and mouse in builds. 

Nope, I wrote "$600 on this build (OS + Keyboard/mouse + 360-controller included)" instead of $500. For the extra $100 you should get a windows license + an "okay" keyboard/mouse bundle + a 360-controller OR a windows license + a good keyboard/mouse-bundle (if you don't like gamepad-controls).

OdinHades said:

Just look how Anno 2205 is eating away even high-end hardware. I don't know, there are quite a few reasons for gaming on PCs. But if you really want to go that way, you should spend a little more. You won't be happy for too long with such a cheap build.

Really, really not so sure about that one.

As for the second, some people look for cheaper alternatives, college gamers for instance are likely to not splurge a ton on high end parts, there will be some that do but not a majority. That's just one example of a demographic that tends to roll with cheaper options, some older or younger gamers will splurge on hgiher end parts (I splurge on what I ened anyway besides monitors, mice and keyboards).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Conina said:
chapset said:
add the OS, keybord and mouse and optical drive ( because how the hell are you gonna install the drivers that will come with your peripherals)
  • possibility A: you don't need to... most popular drivers are already included in a windows build
  • possibility B: Windows recognises the hardware and automatically downloads the needed drivers
  • possibility C: you download the drivers from the internet and install them
  • possibility D: you ask the support if they can send you the driver or the proper URL, if you can't find it yourself
  • possibility E: a friend with an optical drive copies the drivers and sends them to you by e-Mail
  • possibility F: a friend with an optical drive copies the drivers on an USB stick
  • possibility G: a friend lends you an external optical drive... it's a one time thing, you never need it again
  • possibility H: you buy an optical drive, install the drivers and give it back within warranty ;)
  • possibility I: you buy an optical drive, install the drivers and sell it with minimal loss
  • possibility J: ... shall I go on?

Or buy an optical drive and keep it so you don't have any problem in the future and add that to the cost of your pc.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.