By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

John2290 said:
d21lewis said:

This one might be the one you're hoping for. There is risk in the platforming and some legit puzzles. Just turn off the beacon that tells you where to go when you click R3. You'll be right at home.

I liked TLR too. Don't know why but it was better to me than TR3 and Chronicles. But don't get me wrong. This game isn't nearly as tough. And I did wind up in some combat killing about ten guys after a few hours of play. Not sure if the game is going to have more exploration of more combat but starting off it has a very good balance.

The best TR game is by far Angel of Darkness which was it's least we'll received but it was the best the game got before moving to a more auto jump/grab ledge style.

*fainted*

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
method114 said:
Chazore said:

Pretty much this, the same happens for PC/PS4/Wii U/Xbox players all the time. That and SE is likely to get more out of this deal in the end anyway.

I actually think SE is losing on this deal. I don't know how much they were paid by MS so I guess that's the main thing I would have to consider. Either way though I think they're hurting the overall franchise by doing this. They may have come out ahead with this game because of MS's money but what did they lose by doing this? MS wont be there for TR3 at least I wouldn't rely on them being there. So now by the time the game comes out will anyone still care? Sure I will but I'll be waiting until it drop to sub $20 on steam. Mainly because the first one started off great but got really boring towards the middle and I had to force my way through the rest of the game. I could be wrong I just don't really see how SE is winning here this game is getting less hype then it did when the first one came out.

You're making presumptions and we don't know the financial details. MS could have thrown a ridiculous amount of money SE for this, we don't know.

I think this game is going to sell a couple million on Xbox platforms and it will sell a couple million on Playstation consoles as well. The game will succeed because its awesome and will be on 5 platforms by next year.

Worst case scenario, it won't sell as well as Tomb Raider 2013 (8.5 million according to SE). But it will still do well.

5 Platforms? Has SE confirmed a PS3 release? Seems rather pointless putting a late port onto a dying console, which is going to be a pain to port to as people start to forget how to work with PS3. Better to port it to Vita.

MS would have been mad to throw more than one hat full of money at SE for timed exclusivity. But I guess anything can happen.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

DakonBlackblade said:
Machiavellian said:

Here is the deal.  Tomb Raider was funded by MS so the developer had no risk in making the game.  If anything, MS would see more issue if people decided to gt the game on the PC/PS4.  There is still a good deal of people on the X1 so who knows how good the legs will be for this game.  If everyone is going to just get the game for the PC/PS4 the developer and publisher still comes out on top.  Yes the game will not be sold at 60 bucks but since MS already paid for it, the developer/ publisher still wins out.  If anything the one getting hurt will be MS if the game does not sell well on the X1.

Last but not least, Tomb Raider is not Fallout or Halo.  What I mean by that is that since its a different genra for the people like myself, it comes right on time.

From my understanding MS didnt fund anyhting, if they had TR would never be releasing for PS4 (Bloodborne was funded by Sony and will never release on any other plataform). MS simply payed a lot of money to buy the game for 1 year, now financialy it might be great for Square and CD because the game will eventualy release on PS4 so theyre not completly giving up on a chunk of the market, like Titanfall did, but I dont see it being good on the long run for the franchise cause the game got a lot of bad publicity due to the deal, is launching on a way too crowded period and theres 0 chances itll sell 1 year from now as well as it would sell on the PS4 if it were releasing simultaneously. So maybe SE and CD make some money, but the franchise might sufer a heavy blow on the long run and I might be wrong but if I were SE ID e more interested in keeping the franchise healthy than making some quick cash.

Paying a lot of money to get a exclusive for 1 year sounds like paying for development.  Not sure how else you look at that.  As for the bad pub, seems a lot of PS4/PC gamers got over it because from what I have been reading, people pretty just say they will wait to get the game on their platform of choice.  Gamers are a very fickle bunch or I should say the most vocal.  The little bit of bad blood never outweights a good game.  I highly doubt the franchise is going to suffer any blow as long as CD continue to make top quality games.  What has always killed franchises is poorly made games more than the platform war egos of fanboys.

I didn't even know the new Tomb Raider was already out. After the E3 they didn't talk much about that game. Well, as much as I love the 2013 Tomb Raider, I'll wait a year to get the PC version and maybe another year to get it 50% off. Every major gaming website is talking about Fallout now. I don't think Tomb Raider would sell well now even if it was a multiplat release.

AbbathTheGrim said:

Woah, slow down dude, some things are off-limits.

Can we at least have female Link??

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

well, there's this:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7541784

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

ktay95 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

What...the hell?

Is there a female version of Link? Or is that the most androginous japanese design ever?

binary solo said:

5 Platforms? Has SE confirmed a PS3 release? Seems rather pointless putting a late port onto a dying console, which is going to be a pain to port to as people start to forget how to work with PS3. Better to port it to Vita.

MS would have been mad to throw more than one hat full of money at SE for timed exclusivity. But I guess anything can happen.

The thing is porting between 7th gen consoles is relatively easy given similar capabilities. Scaling this game back to work on Vita would be significantly more work.

Also, a year from now PS3 will still sell more software than Vita. PS3 still has million sellers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
method114 said:
Chazore said:

Pretty much this, the same happens for PC/PS4/Wii U/Xbox players all the time. That and SE is likely to get more out of this deal in the end anyway.

I actually think SE is losing on this deal. I don't know how much they were paid by MS so I guess that's the main thing I would have to consider. Either way though I think they're hurting the overall franchise by doing this. They may have come out ahead with this game because of MS's money but what did they lose by doing this? MS wont be there for TR3 at least I wouldn't rely on them being there. So now by the time the game comes out will anyone still care? Sure I will but I'll be waiting until it drop to sub $20 on steam. Mainly because the first one started off great but got really boring towards the middle and I had to force my way through the rest of the game. I could be wrong I just don't really see how SE is winning here this game is getting less hype then it did when the first one came out.

You're making presumptions and we don't know the financial details. MS could have thrown a ridiculous amount of money SE for this, we don't know.

I think this game is going to sell a couple million on Xbox platforms and it will sell a couple million on Playstation consoles as well. The game will succeed because its awesome and will be on 5 platforms by next year.

Worst case scenario, it won't sell as well as Tomb Raider 2013 (8.5 million according to SE). But it will still do well.

Of course I'm making presumptions I specfically said "I think" and that I don't know how much money MS threw at them which is key to all of this. Everyone talkiing about this is making presumptions cause we don't know all of the facts. It selling lower to me is not a good thing the franchise should be growing not dropping. SE from what I undesrtand was dissappointed in the sales of TR. So going lower isn't something I would think they want.

Yes, the game will underperform significantly.

When its finally released on PS4 it will sell less then half of what it would have done otherwise, especially arriving after Uncharted 4.

Platform Exclusivity aside, I feel the timing is simply not right. I think a January release would have done them more good. Ideally September but I doubt the game would have been ready for that.