By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Tomb Raider been wasted?

Bryank75 said:

We all now know that Rise of the Tomb Raider is a critical success, it is objectively considered a good game. (Tastes aside)

My concern in this thread is whether ROTR will be a commercial and strategic success from the XBox divisions point of view.

In an interview with Phil Spencer, Eurogamer asked the following;

"In part is it about having an answer to Uncharted 4? The comparison between the last Tomb Raider and Uncharted has been made.

Phil Spencer: Totally. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity."

It is clear that both titles were supposed to launch around the same time, causing a big head to head and a lot of publicity. However this was not to be as Sony / Naughty Dog delayed the game till Q1 2016. 

With all this in mind and remembering that although the game will have been launched for quite a while it will still be exclusive to X1 when UC4 launches. Will Rise of the Tomb Raider fulfil its role for MS Studios? and will it be a commercial success when all is accounted for?

(If you wish, you may also address the delay of UC4 and whether you believe it was a "real" delay or partly strategic.)

Its a big mistake for both MS and SE. But they both deserve it when it doesn't do nothing special sales wise or move consoles. The majority audience for this game is on PS. Also it's releasing at the wrong time. When all the 3rd party big hitters are being released. Tomb Raider will just get lost among the big games like Halo 5,Black Ops 3,Fallout 4,Assassins Creed Syndicate,Just Cause 3 and Battlefront.  Also Sony just done a world wide price cut

Around the Network

Has Tomb Raider been wasted? In terms of the quality of the game? No. In terms of choosing one console over multiple consoles to further increase the install base? Yes.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Metroid33slayer said:
Bryank75 said:

This thread is really NOT an anti-Xbox thread and in the OP I state that the game is very good and critically successful. Here we are more concerned with the game from a business point of view. "Will it be profitable?" And "has it fulfilled its strategic purpose?" Are key questions. 

As many people have posted here, the audience for the game on Xbox are enjoying it a lot. 

The title is basically saying it is wasted on xbox one, the poster is trying to cloak it under the guise of concern but anyone can see that he is having a dig at the xbox one.

Also to note the user was originally perma banned for targeting Xbox fans and only those fans and having a self admitted hatred for MS and Xbox in general so with an unban it's no surprise to see a thread like this from someone, the traits on this site are all mostly readable from a mile away. If this were multilat we wouldn't be seeing this or in fact we'd be seeing "PS4 sells more than Xbox, why is Xbox bothering, why is it so shit?", because that's mostly what the focus seems to be on this site, whatever good news even if it;s small that comes out for Xbox, it;s more than doubled with negative news to pummel down whatever good it had coming, same goes for PC and at times Nintendo.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Machiavellian said:

Paying a lot of money to get a exclusive for 1 year sounds like paying for development.  Not sure how else you look at that.  As for the bad pub, seems a lot of PS4/PC gamers got over it because from what I have been reading, people pretty just say they will wait to get the game on their platform of choice.  Gamers are a very fickle bunch or I should say the most vocal.  The little bit of bad blood never outweights a good game.  I highly doubt the franchise is going to suffer any blow as long as CD continue to make top quality games.  What has always killed franchises is poorly made games more than the platform war egos of fanboys.

There is a difference btween paying a lot of money for something and funding a product. Funding someting is taking care of the costs, if MS had aproached CD and SE and said: "here make the game, send me the bills Ill pay for it", thats funding, and usualy when someone is funding something it gives him a certain level of controll cause he can just stop sending money if he thinks the product isnt shapping up like he wanted it to. But the way I think this deal went (I might be wrong) is that the game had already been funded/was being funded by SE itself and was already under development, MS came and said "hey Square do you want X millions to make this exclusive to the XboxOne for 1 year ?", Square said yes took the money and if they used it to pay for the game development or not thats entirely Squares and CD problem, MS didnt have any controll on the development of the game itself cause they werent the ones paying the bills at all. Thats the difference.

I dont know I still think this whole thing might blow up on SE/CDs face, it wasnt a bad deal for MS thats for sure, itll boost XOnes sales, but tbh I care about the games way ore than I do about Sony and Ms itself, so if a deal helps one of them and hurts a game developer potentialy costing us future releases of great games, Ill think it was a terribel deal.

Chazore said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Bryank75 said:

This thread is really NOT an anti-Xbox thread and in the OP I state that the game is very good and critically successful. Here we are more concerned with the game from a business point of view. "Will it be profitable?" And "has it fulfilled its strategic purpose?" Are key questions. 

As many people have posted here, the audience for the game on Xbox are enjoying it a lot. 

The title is basically saying it is wasted on xbox one, the poster is trying to cloak it under the guise of concern but anyone can see that he is having a dig at the xbox one.

Also to note the user was originally perma banned for targeting Xbox fans and only those fans and having a self admitted hatred for MS and Xbox in general so with an unban it's no surprise to see a thread like this from someone, the traits on this site are all mostly readable from a mile away. If this were multilat we wouldn't be seeing this or in fact we'd be seeing "PS4 sells more than Xbox, why is Xbox bothering, why is it so shit?", because that's mostly what the focus seems to be on this site, whatever good news even if it;s small that comes out for Xbox, it;s more than doubled with negative news to pummel down whatever good it had coming, same goes for PC and at times Nintendo.

I may have been perma-banned but since I came back I've been like gandelf the white and been perma-awesome! 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
John2290 said:

The best TR game is by far Angel of Darkness which was it's least we'll received but it was the best the game got before moving to a more auto jump/grab ledge style.

*fainted*

But..but the cool cards it came with! /sarcasm

Chazore said:
Metroid33slayer said:

Traits are on any and every site. It jus seems like on this site if people have a different opinion on something folks take offense...and feel like they are being targeted and picked on. For instance you for some reason left Sony out of your list like it doesn't get hit with negative news just like Xbox, PC and MS so would I say you are picking sides in this? It happens to all of them Sony, MS, Nin and PC. Then you generalize saying if it were this then this would happen...There have been plenty of games that have sold better on PS4 than XB1 and while a select few may say silly stuff most don't. So let's just say it happens to everyone and move on...your posts makes it seem like you are bother or upset about something that happens to every company and will always happen....no big deal just let it go! Shoot I willr espond and converse with folks debate different points that is what forums are for! Folks need to stop being so sensitive!(not you personallyjust speaking in general lol)

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:

Traits are on any and every site. It jus seems like on this site if people have a different opinion on something folks take offense...and feel like they are being targeted and picked on. For instance you for some reason left Sony out of your list like it doesn't get hit with negative news just like Xbox, PC and MS so would I say you are picking sides in this? It happens to all of them Sony, MS, Nin and PC. Then you generalize saying if it were this then this would happen...There have been plenty of games that have sold better on PS4 than XB1 and while a select few may say silly stuff most don't. So let's just say it happens to everyone and move on...your posts makes it seem like you are bother or upset about something that happens to every company and will always happen....no big deal just let it go! Shoot I willr espond and converse with folks debate different points that is what forums are for! Folks need to stop being so sensitive!(not you personallyjust speaking in general lol)

You make it sound like everything is equally fair and yet life is never equal or fair so why should this be?, of course it's easy to say "other sites are exactly the same and people take offense and think they re targeted" and call it a day without actually understanding why. Of course Sony gets some negative news but nowhere near as much as the other platforms, in fact a lot of the negative news tends to stem from the opposite sides rather than the side that carries the positive news.

But sure call me some big generalizing hypocrite if that makes you feel like the better man on a horse, I see exactly what I see and I'm not alone on this because I have talks with people from different sites and platforms, sure you can call them the same as you clearly call me but that's not going to change perception or what is actually happening.

"your posts makes it seem like you are bother or upset about something that happens to every company and will always happen", I would appreciate if that were put into proper English because I can't make sense of that.

I'm not really that sensitive but I do dislike seeing bad traits being more commonplace and I do take those traits into account, I mean why should police officers or people in the psychiatric field bother with taking in or observing traits if it's clear that they will get flustered or upset?, it's not like they observe to figure out said person or predict what they are likely to do. People on here love predictions when it comes to sales data, copies sold, rep etc and as for me I predict behavior patterns based on posters traits, doesn't mean I'm magically upset or desperate to down someone, I just prefer keeping an eye on people who have been known to cause trouble and see if they are likely to change, OP claims he has and I'll keep to his word. Just like I'll keep to yours.

Of course this should be continued someone else if you desire to drag it out as it's strafing off into off topic territory.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

You make it sound like everything is equally fair and yet life is never equal or fair so why should this be?, of course it's easy to say "other sites are exactly the same and people take offense and think they re targeted" and call it a day without actually understanding why. Of course Sony gets some negative news but nowhere near as much as the other platforms, in fact a lot of the negative news tends to stem from the opposite sides rather than the side that carries the positive news.

But sure call me some big generalizing hypocrite if that makes you feel like the better man on a horse, I see exactly what I see and I'm not alone on this because I have talks with people from different sites and platforms, sure you can call them the same as you clearly call me but that's not going to change perception or what is actually happening.

"your posts makes it seem like you are bother or upset about something that happens to every company and will always happen", I would appreciate if that were put into proper English because I can't make sense of that.

I'm not really that sensitive but I do dislike seeing bad traits being more commonplace and I do take those traits into account, I mean why should police officers or people in the psychiatric field bother with taking in or observing traits if it's clear that they will get flustered or upset?, it's not like they observe to figure out said person or predict what they are likely to do. People on here love predictions when it comes to sales data, copies sold, rep etc and as for me I predict behavior patterns based on posters traits, doesn't mean I'm magically upset or desperate to down someone, I just prefer keeping an eye on people who have been known to cause trouble and see if they are likely to change, OP claims he has and I'll keep to his word. Just like I'll keep to yours.

Of course this should be continued someone else if you desire to drag it out as it's strafing off into off topic territory.

If I ever offended you or a console or game you hold in high esteem I am sorry. Everyone here was having a great debate with some good points and intelligent insight until it was invaded with people on a witch hunt. If you hate me, that's fine..... I really don't mind but I would appreciate if you wouldn't bring the negativity into the other peoples day. After all we are here discussing a hobby and many have enough to deal with in the day to day of reality. 

Bryank75 said:

If I ever offended you or a console or game you hold in high esteem I am sorry. Everyone here was having a great debate with some good points and intelligent insight until it was invaded with people on a witch hunt. If you hate me, that's fine..... I really don't mind but I would appreciate if you wouldn't bring the negativity into the other peoples day. After all we are here discussing a hobby and many have enough to deal with in the day to day of reality. 

You don't need to be sorry, you've never offended me before lol and I can't say I hate you. I just dislike traits that occur from some folk at times when one platform just gets a released exclusive (timed or not) or something positive about it, some come to bring the new release down a notch in some ways, I don't see this thread as big on that but some are certainly making it out to be which is no surprise since some of the dislikes stem from the folk who have to wait but that's also a common theme in general with each gen and the deals made.