By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

So Big Boss isn't highlighted as a central part to MGS5 in the trailers? Ohh right, he is. He is the main character after all. He is just as central, if not more central to the game as Miis are to Tomodatchi Life,so please spare me on how its a bad analogy. Prove that the physical appearance of big Boss in MGS5 is not the primary reason that MGS outsold MGS4. That's essentially what you're asking me to prove. But you can't prove a negative., can you? You don't like it because it shows how wrong you are and your elitist attitude of "you can't grasp marketing approaches" is furthering the point that you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Again, your assertion requires you to prove that Miis are more appealing or more interesting to their audience than any other similar, generic avatar. Good luck with that.

Fire Emblem: Awakening could have sold beffer because of dozens of different reasons (like being bundled with a custom 3DS, or it being the highest rated fire emblem game ever). narrowing it down to "the approach" (whatever that means) as the primary reason without any evidence to support that is impossible. For example, prove that Fire Emblem: Awakening being bundled with a custom 3DS, or the fact that it is the highest rated fire emblem game ever was less of a factor in its sales success than "the approach". Seriously. Prove it.

It is a bad analogy because the are many flaws in that argument from the type of marketing approach to how the adverts are conducted to even the context, MGS is marketed as a cinematic experience much in the same way all the preious games have with trailers showing select bits of action and sometimes cryptic messages, TL on the other hand are are informal adds with people saying how they are creating Miis for fun. The two approaches are so different it makes your attempt at an argument here comical, a negative can proven that comment alone highlights your constant sidestepping, a poor argument like what you're pushing with all these flawed logics and broken analogies is what can't be proven.

That's easy for me I can just highlight sales of their games to show their style and approach connects better with consumers.

Desperation at it's finest, Awakening sold and was recieved better because of the new approach, the's plenty of evidence to support it like how all the other games are good and recieved well critically and their critical average is not even that far from Awakening either with the GBA game hitting around 90% average, TSS and POR hovering in the high 80s and such, quality was never an issue for the series. Custom 3DS' are limited edition and numerous games have those, what changed in Awakening was the approach and what further proves my point is how Fates has sold just as well in Japan following up on the same approach no bundle there either. The previous titles had the same approach and sold poorly while the two new games utilized a new approach and have so far had consistently good sales, evidence is there even if you try hard to not see it.

Well you definitely haven't played MGS5 if you think it was marketed as, or was a "cinematic experience". There was about 90% less cutscenes and time spent watching cutscenes compared to MGS5. This was a point that was continuously repeated by Kojima and other Konami staff. On the other hand, based on the Tomodachi Life ads and articles i've seen, the fact that you were using Miis was a small part of the ads. The ads were mostly about that you could do with the characters you create, and the bottom line you could do that with literally any style of generic customizable avatar. Just because advertising obviously showed Miis in game doesn't mean that it continuously focused on the focused on the fact it was showing Miis. These are two different things that you appear to fail to be able to differentiate.

The popularity of an item in no way indicates its quality or appeal. You can take a new IP that 95% of people who play it enjoy (let's call it Game A), and another new IP that 70% of people who play it enjoy (let's call it Game B). Now let's say you heavily market Game A and don't market Game B at all. Then, as it turns out Game A sells 15 times more than Game B. Is Game A more appealing than Game B? Obviously not.  This is a prime example of an "Appeal to the People fallacy". It is quite obvious then that you have not proven anything. You are literally assuming this game that so happens to feature Miis sold because it featured Miis. You do not have any way of knowing this, and you have come anywhere close to providing any type of proof of that.

Again - what do you mean by "new approach"? This doesn't mean anything. If this describes everything that makes Awakening differernt than its predecessor, including gameplay, marketing, price, distribution, advertising, bundling, etc. - then I guess you're right, but that is such an incredibly generic term that it isn't any bit meaningful. The way you can completely dismiss other plausible reasons without any evidence to support it other than "other games reviewed well" (but not as well, so it definitely could be a factor) , and "there were limited numbers of the bundle"(but you don't know if that means there were 75,000 bundles sold, or 750,000 bundles sold) just goes to show how you are blatantly guessing as to why Awakening sold well. Don't believe me? Tell me the dominant primary reason why MGS5 sold better than MGS4. Please go ahead, and be ready to demonstrate why the 10 other equally plausible reasons I'll list in response are definitely not the primary reason why MGS5 sold better than MGS4.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

Well you definitely haven't played MGS5 if you think it was marketed as, or was a "cinematic experience". There was about 90% less cutscenes and time spent watching cutscenes compared to MGS5. This was a point that was continuously repeated by Kojima and other Konami staff. On the other hand, based on the Tomodachi Life ads and articles i've seen, the fact that you were using Miis was a small part of the ads. The ads were mostly about that you could do with the characters you create, and the bottom line you could do that with literally any style of generic customizable avatar. Just because advertising obviously showed Miis in game doesn't mean that it continuously focused on the focused on the fact it was showing Miis. These are two different things that you appear to fail to be able to differentiate.

The popularity of an item in no way indicates its quality or appeal. You can take a new IP that 95% of people who play it enjoy (let's call it Game A), and another new IP that 70% of people who play it enjoy (let's call it Game B). Now let's say you heavily market Game A and don't market Game B at all. Then, as it turns out Game A sells 15 times more than Game B. Is Game A more appealing than Game B? Obviously not.  This is a prime example of an "Appeal to the People fallacy". It is quite obvious then that you have not proven anything. You are literally assuming this game that so happens to feature Miis sold because it featured Miis. You do not have any way of knowing this, and you have come anywhere close to providing any type of proof of that.

Again - what do you mean by "new approach"? This doesn't mean anything. If this describes everything that makes Awakening differernt than its predecessor, including gameplay, marketing, price, distribution, advertising, bundling, etc. - then I guess you're right, but that is such an incredibly generic term that it isn't any bit meaningful. The way you can completely dismiss other plausible reasons without any evidence to support it other than "other games reviewed well" (but not as well, so it definitely could be a factor) , and "there were limited numbers of the bundle"(but you don't know if that means there were 75,000 bundles sold, or 750,000 bundles sold) just goes to show how you are blatantly guessing as to why Awakening sold well. Don't believe me? Tell me the dominant primary reason why MGS5 sold better than MGS4. Please go ahead, and be ready to demonstrate why the 10 other equally plausible reasons I'll list in response are definitely not the primary reason why MGS5 sold better than MGS4.

I own MGS5 on Steam and have played it heavily, the are cinematic moments in MGS5 like any other game believe me like the encounters with the Skulls as well as the beginning, pivotal sections and end of each chapter, they even start and end with credits like a TV series. The TL ads were entirely Mii focused which is the whole point, you argued the Miis and their interactions were never a draw to the game yet that's the main premise the marketing focused on, something you can never argue.

Except with Miis it would be game A,B,C,D,E and so on selling better which again is highlighting better appeal, when the other games include the likes of the Sims and such they're not exactly shot on marketing. What adds to this is the only other similar game that sold as well as TL was another game imitating the Mii style.

Awakening's style and approach with its characters and events differs significantly from previous game, the art direction is a lot more like modern animes with even anime like cutscenes, story and events are more in line with what you get in other JRPGs (a change that some long term FE fans aren't as fond of), character personalities are much typical anime types with the game feeling a lot more slice of life then the conflict of Lords throughout the series. Gameplay wise the game didn't really change much if anything at all, this gave Awakening appeal to more people. I can give you a simple reason why MGS5 has sold more one that is not even hard to think of, it's multiplatform, it's on 5 platforms to MGS4's being exclusive to PS3.

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

I own MGS5 on Steam and have played it heavily, the are cinematic moments in MGS5 like any other game believe me like the encounters with the Skulls as well as the beginning, pivotal sections and end of each chapter, they even start and end with credits like a TV series. The TL ads were entirely Mii focused which is the whole point, you argued the Miis and their interactions were never a draw to the game yet that's the main premise the marketing focused on, something you can never argue.

Except with Miis it would be game A,B,C,D,E and so on selling better which again is highlighting better appeal, when the other games include the likes of the Sims and such they're not exactly shot on marketing. What adds to this is the only other similar game that sold as well as TL was another game imitating the Mii style.

Awakening's style and approach with its characters and events differs significantly from previous game, the art direction is a lot more like modern animes with even anime like cutscenes, story and events are more in line with what you get in other JRPGs (a change that some long term FE fans aren't as fond of), character personalities are much typical anime types with the game feeling a lot more slice of life then the conflict of Lords throughout the series. Gameplay wise the game didn't really change much if anything at all, this gave Awakening appeal to more people. I can give you a simple reason why MGS5 has sold more one that is not even hard to think of, it's multiplatform, it's on 5 platforms to MGS4's being exclusive to PS3.

Well obviously there are some cutscenes in MGS5, it is a Kojima game afterall. However, the story of the game is mostly told through listening to cassette tapes at your leisure rather than being forced to watch cut scenes. It is quite obvious that Kojima tried to make a much less cinematic MGS game than its predecessors and there is absolutely no arguing that as he has said it himself. The marketing did not focus on the cinematic elements of this game. In fact they released 5 different videos that completed the same mission five different games. The marketing of MGS5 mostly focused on the gameplay, not on the cinematics. You arewrong.

It's actually quite easy to argue against. Like MGS5, the marketing of TL was more focused on gameplay than on the inclusion of Miis. I never argued that the Miis weren't a draw for everyone, simply that they were not the reason most people bought the game.  I mean it should go without saying that when I say "Nobody cares about Miis" that I don't actually mean literally no one, right? The fact of the matter is that people buy games for many different legitimate reasons and that no one reason can be singled out as to the reason why this game sold well 5 million copies. You keep contending that the main draw of this game is the fact that you can import Miis into the game, that if this game never featured Miis it would not have sold as well. You have not demonstrated this. On the other hand, I contend that you cannot know that and there are all of these other reasons why people may have bought the game, and while the inclusion of Miis may have been a reason, or the reason for some, the vast majority of people who bought and enjoyed the game likely couldn't care less if the game featured Miis, or some other generic avatars. Literally the only way you can prove why people bought that game is if you got ahold of some survey data that asked people why they bought TD and most of the people listed "inclusion of Miis" as one of their top reasons for buying it. You don't have anything like that so you're literally just speculating why people bought it.

So you're contending that all games featuring Miis sell better than similar games without Miis? Because I'm not sure you really want to go there. That's not a direction that makes your case look better. Especially when Game A came bundled, Game B came with a Wii Remote and Game C came with a Wii Remote Plus, but I'm sure those games sold that well because they had Miis in it and not because it came free with a console, or was $10 more than buying an additional Wii Remote.

Prove that Awakening's success was due to its different gameplay and not due to it's marketing campaign. I'm dying to know how you can actually say that this game obviously sold better than its predecessors because of things like its art direction. Prove that is an important deciding factor for people that bought the game. Ohh you think MGS5 sold better thna MGS4 because it was on more platforms? I say that it sold better because it featured base building, soldier recruiting and drivable vehicles. Prove those differences were not as significant of a factor on whether or not people decided to buy MGS5 over MGS4.

potato_hamster said:

Well obviously there are some cutscenes in MGS5, it is a Kojima game afterall. However, the story of the game is mostly told through listening to cassette tapes at your leisure rather than being forced to watch cut scenes. It is quite obvious that Kojima tried to make a much less cinematic MGS game than its predecessors and there is absolutely no arguing that as he has said it himself. The marketing did not focus on the cinematic elements of this game. In fact they released 5 different videos that completed the same mission five different games. The marketing of MGS5 mostly focused on the gameplay, not on the cinematics. You arewrong.

It's actually quite easy to argue against. Like MGS5, the marketing of TL was more focused on gameplay than on the inclusion of Miis. I never argued that the Miis weren't a draw for everyone, simply that they were not the reason most people bought the game.  I mean it should go without saying that when I say "Nobody cares about Miis" that I don't actually mean literally no one, right? The fact of the matter is that people buy games for many different legitimate reasons and that no one reason can be singled out as to the reason why this game sold well 5 million copies. You keep contending that the main draw of this game is the fact that you can import Miis into the game, that if this game never featured Miis it would not have sold as well. You have not demonstrated this. On the other hand, I contend that you cannot know that and there are all of these other reasons why people may have bought the game, and while the inclusion of Miis may have been a reason, or the reason for some, the vast majority of people who bought and enjoyed the game likely couldn't care less if the game featured Miis, or some other generic avatars. Literally the only way you can prove why people bought that game is if you got ahold of some survey data that asked people why they bought TD and most of the people listed "inclusion of Miis" as one of their top reasons for buying it. You don't have anything like that so you're literally just speculating why people bought it.

So you're contending that all games featuring Miis sell better than similar games without Miis? Because I'm not sure you really want to go there. That's not a direction that makes your case look better. Especially when Game A came bundled, Game B came with a Wii Remote and Game C came with a Wii Remote Plus, but I'm sure those games sold that well because they had Miis in it and not because it came free with a console, or was $10 more than buying an additional Wii Remote.

Prove that Awakening's success was due to its different gameplay and not due to it's marketing campaign. I'm dying to know how you can actually say that this game obviously sold better than its predecessors because of things like its art direction. Prove that is an important deciding factor for people that bought the game. Ohh you think MGS5 sold better thna MGS4 because it was on more platforms? I say that it sold better because it featured base building, soldier recruiting and drivable vehicles. Prove those differences were not as significant of a factor on whether or not people decided to buy MGS5 over MGS4.

MGS5 is just as cinematic as any other MGS game it's just applied to an open world and is more evenly spaced compared to previous games, Kojima also said that the game would answer all questions and it didn't.

Nope the ads for TL are clearly focused on pushing the appeal of creating Miis and their crazy interactions, a marketing campaign focused on Miis would not have yielded any sales is they had no draw. Tomodachi Life wasn't even an established series on top of being different from it's predecessor which was minigame based and was unknown to the west as well who didn't know what the game was about, this why Miis where a heavy focus in the marketing as they're recognizable, how about you prove Miis were not a big draw for a start as you've yet to back anything you've posted until then you'll have to swallow it and don't give no nonsense about no being possible to prove a negative either as that's complete garbage.

Game A wasn't bundled in Japan, still sold around 4m, game C require Motion Plus and was one of the few games that needed it and went on to sell 32m while another game that was bundled with WMP Skyward Sword sold about 4m in comparison.

The evidence is there in the open for Fire Emblem previous games had the same type of marketing and sold less, the game before Awakening sold only 400k, You argued earlier about gameplay in games well that didn't change in Awakening but what I mentioned before did highlighting it had an impact on the games appeal, it sold more on a userbase far less then the platforms the last two on games were on (Wii and DS, 250m users) and it outsold those two games combined.

MGS is simple, base building, recruiting and such has been in the series for a while in a few previous games which haven't sold as well as MGS5, the game has access to the userbases of 360, X1, PS3, PS4 and PC which should easily be a pool of 200m users as opposed to MGS4 which has access only to the 80m PS3 owners. These 5 platforms are also very much geared to similar type of gamers as well.

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

MGS5 is just as cinematic as any other MGS game it's just applied to an open world and is more evenly spaced compared to previous games, Kojima also said that the game would answer all questions and it didn't.

Nope the ads for TL are clearly focused on pushing the appeal of creating Miis and their crazy interactions, a marketing campaign focused on Miis would not have yielded any sales is they had no draw. Tomodachi Life wasn't even an established series on top of being different from it's predecessor which was minigame based and was unknown to the west as well who didn't know what the game was about, this why Miis where a heavy focus in the marketing as they're recognizable, how about you prove Miis were not a big draw for a start as you've yet to back anything you've posted until then you'll have to swallow it and don't give no nonsense about no being possible to prove a negative either as that's complete garbage.

Game A wasn't bundled in Japan, still sold around 4m, game C require Motion Plus and was one of the few games that needed it and went on to sell 32m while another game that was bundled with WMP Skyward Sword sold about 4m in comparison.

The evidence is there in the open for Fire Emblem previous games had the same type of marketing and sold less, the game before Awakening sold only 400k, You argued earlier about gameplay in games well that didn't change in Awakening but what I mentioned before did highlighting it had an impact on the games appeal, it sold more on a userbase far less then the platforms the last two on games were on (Wii and DS, 250m users) and it outsold those two games combined.

MGS is simple, base building, recruiting and such has been in the series for a while in a few previous games which haven't sold as well as MGS5, the game has access to the userbases of 360, X1, PS3, PS4 and PC which should easily be a pool of 200m users as opposed to MGS4 which has access only to the 80m PS3 owners. These 5 platforms are also very much geared to similar type of gamers as well.

So much congitive dissonance. On all of your points. Literally all of them. Your cognitive dissonance is astoundingly blatant. You are so sure of your answers when you literally have no credible evidence other than your opinion. I am just wasting my time. This is absolutely ridiculous that you make the same baseless assertion after baseless assertion over and over again.

Look we get it. You think Miis are amazing. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the gaming community as a whole really, really couldn't care less about Miis. Deny it or accept it, I simply do not care. Have a nice life.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

So much congitive dissonance. On all of your points. Literally all of them. Your cognitive dissonance is astoundingly blatant. You are so sure of your answers when you literally have no credible evidence other than your opinion. I am just wasting my time. This is absolutely ridiculous that you make the same baseless assertion after baseless assertion over and over again.

Look we get it. You think Miis are amazing. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the gaming community as a whole really, really couldn't care less about Miis. Deny it or accept it, I simply do not care. Have a nice life.

Ironic post coming from you, rest of the gaming community aren't their targets with Miitomo and it doesn't stop them having appeal either.

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm grasping at straws?

The fact that you can import or create generic characters the exact same way as you can in any other game which allows you customize an avatar is somehow unique because that avatar is called a "Mii"? You gotta be joking me.

I create a character in the Sims that looks like Obama. Look Obama is my neighbor. How fun. I can invite Obama to my parties. i can set Obama up with my other neighbors. Obama goes on a date with a sim I created that looks like George Bush. How exciting! Vs - I create a character in Tomodachi life that looks like Obama.  Obama is my neighbor. I can invite Obama over to my parites. ! No wait! This is a Mii specific experience! It's all about the Mii! A Mii is my neighbor! Miis are special!

What?

You can replace the avatars in Tomodachi Life with Microsoft Avatars and it wouldn't change the game in any way! It would play exactly the same. You could do exactly the same with with characters just as custom. The Mii does. not. matter. No one cares whether or not the characters look like Miis or not!

But here is where you lost me. Can you guess where?

"but is built around the quirk and social charm of Miis"

The quirk and social charm of Miis? What quirk and social charm? They literally had zero personalities in any way before this game. They had no voice. They had no quirks. There was literally nothing to distinguish one Mii from the next besides their appearance! They were souless, voiceless avatars that you could customize the look of. That's why when you add or import the character into TL you need to give them a voice, a personality. There is absolutely zero reason why this exactly same game could not be made with literally any other avatar style. None.  What are you getting on with?

You are grasping at straws you have been for a while an example is when you've tried moving goalposts with your under 5m comment earlier, Miis have a distinct style to them that has developed over the years and the game is built around that. Your argument is amusing because earlier you tried using the whole "That can describe anything" yet here you are putting forward something even worse, sure you can replace Conker with Master Chief and CFD would still play the same how ever that doesn't change the fact that may impact the games appeal.

Creating an avatar in the Sims has it's own charmed compare to creating an avatar else where the whole game is built around that style and concept, same with Miis, it's not hard to understand or at least it shouldn't be the reason you're up in arms over it is because you took a stance against Miis and this flat out proves you wrong. This game was introduce to the west highlighting the Miis in an ND for a start and is marketed with Miis being the stars, at this point you need to proved to me that Miis aren't the draw because the whole marketing campaign says you're talking rubbsh.

Really? I bet if you go out on the street and start asking random people about them, maybe 1 in 50 will still remmeber the fad that were the Miis... they are simple, ugly, and boring. Their integration is the only reasonm I dislike my 3DS.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Nautilus said:

It makes complete sense to be hosted by it.First because it would "force" people downloading it to play the games, but not only that, but nintendo said the next 4 games would be pay-to-play.If thats the case, they could be simply be an in app purchase, thats could stand alongside the free minigames that comes free with it(the difference being its a more complete game, but still not near in the console or handheld level)

Can I have a link to this, please?

spemanig said:
Nautilus said:

It makes complete sense to be hosted by it.First because it would "force" people downloading it to play the games, but not only that, but nintendo said the next 4 games would be pay-to-play.If thats the case, they could be simply be an in app purchase, thats could stand alongside the free minigames that comes free with it(the difference being its a more complete game, but still not near in the console or handheld level)

Can I have a link to this, please?

The actual term he uses is pay-to-download, but its the same thing.It is mentioned right at the beginning of the article

Link below:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/29/nintendo-and-denas-first-mobile-game-is-miitomo-launch-delayed-to-2016

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

It's very... Iwata.

I remember talking (with Iwata) about things like, “Say you’re back in middle school. There’s a girl in your school whose name you don’t know. You always take the same train to school together. Can’t we come up with some good way to ask her out?”

You would think Iwata of all people would have been able to ask her DIRECTLY.