By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
Blob said:
potato_hamster said:

Maybe the Wii U isn't the best anecdote to use as it appears that the console was almost exclusively bought by diehard Nintendo fans. The argument here is that your average person who plays video games whether it be on a smartphone or a playstation doesn't really care at all about Miis, and wouldn't buy a game or a console just to create and interact with them.

Except these aren't people who have bought a wii u. These are regular people who have come around to my place and might just be keen for a bit of mario kart and smash. 

I'm not saying miis are currently popular. But from what I've seen people still enjoy them when exposed to them. And I think their integration can tickle some semblance of nostalgia as well. 

Are they enjoying miis or are they enjoying games that happen to feature Miis? Just as a counter to your anecdote, in my experience with my Wii, people who come over and play the scattered game of Wii Sports or Wii Play literally couldn't care less what their Mii looks like.

Around the Network

I think Nintendo is still unsure about how to put their IPs on mobile without being hit by backslash from hardcore fans. Like Konami with pachinko machines (though there are many other problems with Konami that helped to create the flack).

About Miitomo, i don't really have a opinion yet. I need to see more of it, but being able to street pass with your smartphone instead of carrying a 3DS in sleep mode would be nice.

potato_hamster said:
Blob said:
potato_hamster said:

Maybe the Wii U isn't the best anecdote to use as it appears that the console was almost exclusively bought by diehard Nintendo fans. The argument here is that your average person who plays video games whether it be on a smartphone or a playstation doesn't really care at all about Miis, and wouldn't buy a game or a console just to create and interact with them.

Except these aren't people who have bought a wii u. These are regular people who have come around to my place and might just be keen for a bit of mario kart and smash. 

I'm not saying miis are currently popular. But from what I've seen people still enjoy them when exposed to them. And I think their integration can tickle some semblance of nostalgia as well. 

Are they enjoying miis or are they enjoying games that happen to feature Miis? Just as a counter to your anecdote, in my experience with my Wii, people who come over and play the scattered game of Wii Sports or Wii Play literally couldn't care less what their Mii looks like.

I don't believe miis are the draw per say. People like to use their mii fighter and they add a personal touch. 

Blob said:
potato_hamster said:
Blob said:
potato_hamster said:

I don't believe miis are the draw per say. People like to use their mii fighter and they add a personal touch. 

It's certainly not a bad idea to include it,  but I don't think anyone is going to pass on the next Smash Bros game if the Mii fighter isn't included.