By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
VitroBahllee said:

How is that a far more factual argument?

Miis were once PROFOUNDLY POPULAR AMONGST NORMAL PEOPLE. 

Beyond a video game phemomenon, hence the 'casual allure' of the Wii during its peak years.

Now, the heyday of the Wii is in the distant past. Miis are popular only among people who still think Nintendo are as cool as normal people did in 2006-2009.

I would argue that the Wii allowed more people to be able to play video games through simple motions allowing it to become so popular.  That was the real brilliance of the Wii.  Video games have always been out of reach to most of the population due to the complex controls and high difficulty/learning curve.  The NES controller was too complicated for my parents and then the controllers just started acquiring more and more buttons.  The Wii allowed even my grandma to play bowling which was probably her first home console video game played.  That is why the Wii sold so much.  It allowed easy gaming which has now been replaced by touch games on phones.  It doesn't take that much skill usually with most games that are on smartphones.  That is why all the casuals play touch games on their phones now.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:

So they are STILL selling the stock at a low (because it is going down even from last week) and they plan to repurchase it in the future, when they expect it to go up again?

Seriously: if they thought it was going to go up in the future, people would be BUYING at this low point right now and holding. You can type all you want, but you are not making any sense.

Here's a tip don't get involved in what you don't understand, last week was when the delay was announced so ofcourse the price would be dropping, most investors sold the second they became aware of the delay, in other words they sold before any significnt drops in prices happened. By the time you or anyone on forums are hearing about the delay they've already sold while it's overweight to net a return.

It doesn't make sense to you because you have sod all understanding of investing and the markets, you just know the bare bones buy low sell high which is equivalent to someone's understanding of sales only being make your product attractive. The are things to look at buying a stock things like the resistance level, support level and chart data available that indicate the best time to enter positions on a stock on top of that some investors now would be going short on the stock as opposed to buying the stock now (short being predicting a price drop) to cash in on the stocks drop in price.

Believe me right now the are people preparing to enter positions on the stock once they think it's hit the right level for them to make a return in future.

200 votes
Yes - 103 51.5%
No - 97 48.5%

Wow, perfect split.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

VitroBahllee said:
zorg1000 said:

Ok, let's see some game series that started in 1996. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Diablo, Tekken, Pokemon....what do u know, all franchises that are still going strong about 20 years later, ur argument seems to be that because Miis started in 2006 that they can't possibly be popular in 2016 which is a weird way of thinking.

Yeah, but as folks are so keen on pointing out, Miis were popular amongst NORMAL people as a fad, not amongst the gaming elite. Let's see some NORMAL fads from 1996: the macarena. Pogs. Light up shoes.

Do u not realize u gave an impossible task? There is no such thing as a 20 year old fad.

There is nothing that proves Miis were in fact a fad though, the decline from Wii to Wii U is not proof that people stopped liking Miis.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Blob said:

Lol I love how people who don't like miis think their opinion is factual. Anecdotally I've found people Still enjoy miis, when exposed to them.

Even on the wii u, people I have around still enjoy making miis and playing as them. People love making their mii fighter on smash bros, and are annoyed that they cant use their mii on mario chase as you can only (stupidly) have twelve accounts.
There is a market for them still imo, they've just been dormant for a while. Guess we will find out though next year. 

Maybe the Wii U isn't the best anecdote to use as it appears that the console was almost exclusively bought by diehard Nintendo fans. The argument here is that your average person who plays video games whether it be on a smartphone or a playstation doesn't really care at all about Miis, and wouldn't buy a game or a console just to create and interact with them.

Around the Network

I think it's the best foot forward they could take. Miitomo shows a commitment to build their own network of players, their way. Whether it's mobile, 3DS, WiiU, or NX - it's all under this one hood. Because Nintendo's network has lacked things like system-wide voice chat and easy to access friends list/messaging, it's lacked the kind of vibrancy XBL and PSN have had. While Miiverse has accomplished a lot on it's own, it is but one leg to the chair. Miitomo offers a unique social gaming interaction PSN and XBL haven't really gone after in earnest.

Whether or not Miitomo is fun and useful to use, we'll see that when it arrives. But I think it's something they'll refine and improve long-term along with NX and other initiatives.Ultimately, Miitomo will be differentiate Nintendo's online offerings in a meaningful way.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

potato_hamster said:
Blob said:

Lol I love how people who don't like miis think their opinion is factual. Anecdotally I've found people Still enjoy miis, when exposed to them.

Even on the wii u, people I have around still enjoy making miis and playing as them. People love making their mii fighter on smash bros, and are annoyed that they cant use their mii on mario chase as you can only (stupidly) have twelve accounts.
There is a market for them still imo, they've just been dormant for a while. Guess we will find out though next year. 

Maybe the Wii U isn't the best anecdote to use as it appears that the console was almost exclusively bought by diehard Nintendo fans. The argument here is that your average person who plays video games whether it be on a smartphone or a playstation doesn't really care at all about Miis, and wouldn't buy a game or a console just to create and interact with them.

Well it's a good thing u don't need to buy a game or console to create and interact with Miis in Miitomo

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
VitroBahllee said:

Yeah, but as folks are so keen on pointing out, Miis were popular amongst NORMAL people as a fad, not amongst the gaming elite. Let's see some NORMAL fads from 1996: the macarena. Pogs. Light up shoes.

Do u not realize u gave an impossible task? There is no such thing as a 20 year old fad.

There is nothing that proves Miis were in fact a fad though, the decline from Wii to Wii U is not proof that people stopped liking Miis.

Is there any proof that the average Wii owner really cared about them in the first place?

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Is there any proof that the average Wii owner really cared about them in the first place?

Nope not really, but u and others are the ones saying Miitomo will fail because nobody cares about Miis. I haven't really seen anybody here say Miitomo will succeed because of Miis.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Nope not really, but u and others are the ones saying Miitomo will fail because nobody cares about Miis. I haven't really seen anybody here say Miitomo will succeed because of Miis.

Yeah, the whole Mii discussion really got me off track from my central message: only people who are glad they bought a Wii U think this "game" looks like a good debut mobile offering.

I argue that investors thought Nintendo were going to launch an actual Nintendo game on mobile, not this. I argue that this isn't what anybody wanted. I argue that this is not a cool thing. My position is 'Almost anything other than this would have been better received.' My position is that 'this, plus the fact that they are announcing a Quarter long delay and STILL this is all they are launching, is the pits.'

Furthermore, those who are seriously claiming that their genuine reaction to this news was 'Sweet, now I can learn more about the people around me!' are either in huge denial or significantly odd.