By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anita Sarkeesian: An Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review

I liked the review, as I like Anita Sarkeesian's videos most of the time. I'm yet to see anything wrong about her agenda.

Assassin's Creed sucks, it's on my list of worst video game series of all time, but this video actually made me slightly interested in AC Syndicate. At least it has a nice cast of characters and lively world to balance the repetitive and boring gameplay.

Around the Network
wilco said:

So here is the thing on that. The rules of the forums are all fine and good but I'm going to call a spade a spade. It's really not an accusation, its just a fact that plenty of users didn't even give the video a chance. There was even one user who said he was going to learn how to code and make a game for the express purpose of spiting Sarkeesian. That is an absurd level of animosity for someone that the user probably doesn't even know.

I've said it many times before. I just don't get the vitriol being directed at Sarkesian. Yes, she is off base sometimes but her videos are just opinions. She poses absolutely ZERO threat to anything. I get your issues with the video because you articulated them. I just don't understand why more people can't simply argue the merits and flaws of Sarkesians videos instead of either dismissing or demonizing her. 

The frustrating part is that there is actually a pretty interesting dialogue that could be had on both sides if people would just tone down the hostility and argue their positions in a meaningful way. I'm not even saying people should be nice, but at least make some kind of point, the "anita sarkesian is dumb" comments add nothing to the conversation.

Tbh, I am not convinced I deserve a warning. I politely described what I thought was happening with some of the posts here. I even agreed that the review isn't great but it's passable. I even opened my "asccusation" with "I feel like..". That's one of the ways you gently get someone's attention and make them engage on a deeper level than "FALL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH" and "WORST REVIEW EVER". I wasn't even pointing fingers until I was dragged to explain what I meant further.

I am actually a bit surprised, that out of all mods, Tachi is one to talk about "making comments about other users in this thread". Giving her previous approval of objectively far worse behaviour.

This then This happened not so long ago. Maybe I should've went on the offensive so that she agrees with me and then, I wouldn't have been warned.

..and now, I am officially in a sticky territory but at least I'd welcome the ban in this case

Remember when feminism was a positive thing?

jardesonbarbosa said:
I liked the review, as I like Anita Sarkeesian's videos most of the time. I'm yet to see anything wrong about her agenda.

Assassin's Creed sucks, it's on my list of worst video game series of all time, but this video actually made me slightly interested in AC Syndicate. At least it has a nice cast of characters and lively world to balance the repetitive and boring gameplay.

My problem with Anita's view is that I find absurd that some people pretend that an artist must do the following every time when writing a story:

1) Sit down and ponder how to please everybody by making characters and portraying situations that represent every individual

They expect writers to make a list and check mark every group up for representation

2) Those who don't do the above are called sexists and misogynists

3) If a sexist character is created in a story = the writer is sexist

I suppose every story that had a murderer, rapist, a dragon, a samurai, a god, a penguin, etc. had one of those writing behind it

4) They pretend that art should be educational when art is about lots of things which includes depictions of the real world around us, that real world that can be beautiful and ugly, and unfair as it can be righteous.

No one can force an artist to make a happy ending, to make a righteous protagonist in every story, to punish within the same story a character people loathe for his/her questionable dialogue and positions, that doesn't even happen in real life.

I can enjoy a story like the one Anita proposes, but it is absurd that every story must be written following the same guidelines, absurd and unacceptable.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Why even post this here? she is a enemy to gaming i used my youtube blocker which stops videos from starting and just down voted it done.

Around the Network
wilco said:
I've said it many times before. I just don't get the vitriol being directed at Sarkesian. Yes, she is off base sometimes but her videos are just opinions. She poses absolutely ZERO threat to anything. I get your issues with the video because you articulated them. I just don't understand why more people can't simply argue the merits and flaws of Sarkesians videos instead of either dismissing or demonizing her. 

The frustrating part is that there is actually a pretty interesting dialogue that could be had on both sides if people would just tone down the hostility and argue their positions in a meaningful way. I'm not even saying people should be nice, but at least make some kind of point, the "anita sarkesian is dumb" comments add nothing to the conversation.

I don't think vitriol is particularly helpful. But as for the general negativity towards her, I think that's entirely justified. The list of problems with her and what she's said and done is almost endless at this point. 

Lying, deliberately mischaracterising, ignorance of the subject matter, a general antagonism towards the audience (based on focusing on the harassment and using it to disregard the masses of polite disagreement), an insane tendency to play the victim (in the polar opposite way that police and FBI advise you to respond to harassment with), and a complete lack of dealing with any of the thousands of criticisms of her work and just proceeding regardless (unless she can respond to criticism in an environment where she's unchallenged).

Oh yeah, and the fact that she went to the UN to try and get them to censor the internet to shut down her critics.

And all of that ignores the fact that her pseudo-scientific approach (i.e coming up with a list of things you dislike and then quoting examples that fit your points) is a useless way of arguing about ANYTHING.

She complains about there being too many white people? Its London in the 19th century FFS!

This is getting out of control. I'm all for diversity in games, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Its the RE5 thing all over again.

Whats next? Every game needs a disabled person? A transsexual? At least one dead person? Got to respect the dead, right?

And the gameplay is "Just like all other AC games". That's probably not very informative for someone who hasn't played an AC game...

DakonBlackblade said:
Locknuts said:

More like a commentary on the characters from a feminist perspective. Considering games are still a relatively weak story telling medium, I couldn't care less about the characters.

Ye it is not, this argument is old and invalid. Telltale Games, Mass Effect, Witcher 3, Life is Strange, The Last of Us and many other games have proven just how strong a medium for telling a story video games are, they imerse you in the story in a way only videogames an, actively making you the main character, putting you in controll. So ye video games are a super strong medium to tell a story, its the devs that oftenly dont know how to use this medium well.

We'll have to agree to disagree. None of the games you mentioned, or any others that I've played can compare to a great book or film in terms of storytelling IMO.

Why is she catching grief for her vids like this? Because she's trying to politicize a hobby or in this case a game in order to further her misguided agenda. Her vid wasn't a review but just an "opinion" on the game's female character. That's what she talked about for most of the vid. If she truly wanted to help out women, she would be in some countries trying to bring about equality. Her couch must be awfully comfortable.

It's sad to see Ubisoft trying so hard to be PC with AC. There's not much appeasing people like Smplarkeezieshan

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016