By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 American Nightmare

Lingyis said: 
Sony understands the reason behind Nintendo's success, thus a collaboration would only be worthwhile given Nintendo strategy is intact.

Do they understand the reason behind Nintendo's success? The PSP and PS3 represent shifts away from what made Sony successful in the complete opposite direction that Nintendo's shift has been in.

Honestly, since the modern videogame industry was created by Nintendo there has never been a "Console War" that was won by the most powerful system; the Master System was more powerful then the NES, the Neo Geo was more powerful than the SNES, the N64 was more powerful than the Playstation, the XBox was more powerful than the PS2, the Gamegear was more powerful than the Gameboy, the GBA didn't really have competition, and the PSP is more powerful than the Nintendo DS. Sony's belief that processing power matters is what is causing their problems.

Around the Network

PS3 has KILLZONE 2!!!!!! ;)

Dolla Dolla: .5 million PlayStation 3 units it shipped last fiscal year, 3.6 million were sold to retailers.

Don't you think some went to other places like, oh hell I don't know, Europe or Asia?

Dolla Dolla: Uh ... Mayweather did beat De La Hoya. Well spotted.

I saw the fight and De La Hoya was ripping him in half. The Judges made a poor call on that fight and the whole world knows it. But like I said, people want to see the underdog win (even if in reality he doesn't).

Dolla Dolla: The chances of them releasing MGS4 and FFXIII this year are so close to zero that it's best you should expect them in 08, leaving them with no killer apps.

You seem to know so much on the progress of these games. Do you work for Konami and Square-Enix? Ok, ok.

We'll play ball in your court. Let us scratch MGS4 and FFXIII off the 2007 calendar just for grins. Sony is still going to have Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword by the end of this year too. So in the end Sony is going to have at least 3 killer apps by the end of its first year anyways, which is ahead of time from the 360. Like I said before, 360 had only 1 killer app. by the end of its first year. Hell, PS3 had its first on day one.

Dolla Dolla: [blu-ray] Yes, it explains the delays in getting the PS3 released, as well as part of the reason for the enormous price tag.

Sure it costs a pretty penny, but it's a penny I'm willing to spend when I see how games on the 360 are barely reaching 8hrs. Not only that, if you have an HDTV and actually seen how not only HD the format is, but how detailed the picture is compared to an upscaled DVD, you'd see that it's well worth the price. I like the comfort of knowing that my games are not going to be held back due to space constraints. I also get a bit gitty knowing Kojima is putting an order in for a 50gb blu-ray disc (apparently the game is over 24gb long).

Dolla Dolla: Actually, the blame falls squarely on Sony's shoulders. You see, if they had delivered a great system on time with no delays and had a decent install base, GTAIV would've been exclusive. Unfortunately, the 599USD announcement was a betrayal to more than half of the folks looking to upgrade from PS2 to PS3. So, Rockstar, caring about money, thought they would be able to sell more copies if they made it for the 360, as well.

And risk coming out with a Playstation 2.5? That right there is what Microsoft did wrong. If they waited an extra year like Sony and Nintendo did and actually thought of what they should release they wouldn't be in such bad shape as far as how the long term relationship with the game industry is going to kill them in the end. I mean you can even infer that they didn't know what they were doing when you see even today that the red circles of death are almost inevitable. Take a look at this even: http://kotaku.com/gaming/moving-target/my-360-just-died-262033.php

Not only that, but if Microsoft waited a year and got HD-DVD in their console they could have had a better chance at saving the format all together, let alone, have no space constraints (you can compress a game only so much before it just won't work anymore). I liked Gears of War a lot, but 8hrs just doesn't justify $400. Not only that, but only having shooters.

599USD is a deep hole in many people's pockets, that I'm not going to lie about. But what's a few hours of over time for a week going to do to you? You act as if Sony made it absolutely impossible for people to get their hands on a PS3. I worked about 3 extra hours a day for a few days and got me a PS3, and here's what I have to say about it: I'm alive.

BTW, do you get some sort of satisfaction out of trying to prove someone wrong? I swear, forumers in all sites are hostile these days. Even if I express my own views and opinions

Actually, FOOD88, I was just poking holes in your argument. You stated there were supply constraints, I provided evidence to the contrary. You said people wanted an underdog to win, and even though De La Hoya made the fight worth watching (believe me, I watched and I wanted him to win), it doesn't change the split decision. Mayweather wasn't even the underdog for the fight. He is undefeated, and was favored to win 2 to 1 over De La Hoya.

Blu-ray wouldn't change the graphical capabilities of the PS3, it would only change the medium. As a matter of fact, can you imagine if the PS3 had released with a DVD drive and decided instead to upgrade their Video RAM from 256 to 512? That shit would be off the chain. And, if Microsoft had waited and released an HD-DVD console, we'd be watching both the 360 and the PS3 do bad due to high prices. The 360 is doing mediocre right now, can you imagine what it would be selling like with at least 100 dollar hike???

There are plenty of threads posted showing the 360 is far from being just a shooter console. The Japanese support for Microsoft has gone up considerably since last generation, evidenced by such games as Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, the announcement of Blue Dragon 2, and a plethora of ports from the PS3 like Devil May Cry 4, Armored Core 4, and Ace Combat 6 (which is gorgeous, by the way).

I'm not the only one bitching over Sony's price. You should've seen the reaction of the audience at E3 2006 when they announced it. And Krazy Ken is touting that same "Work more hours to get it" mentalitiy and you see where that landed him. But, you have your views and opinions. Have a good one.

Food88: "But what's a few hours of over time for a week going to do to you? You act as if Sony made it absolutely impossible for people to get their hands on a PS3. I worked about 3 extra hours a day for a few days and got me a PS3, and here's what I have to say about it: I'm alive." I completely respect that. The point that gets me about it is that if people seriously work overtime to get it, Sony is in serious trouble -- simply because most people won't bother. The Wii or PS2 look like a good deal to them. So in no way am I criticising Food88's opinions -- $600 for a product you love is not a lot and well worth the overtime. The problem (for Sony, not Food88) is that most people aren't going to love it that much.

Around the Network

Food88: "I'd go to the following link and align launches and weekly sales, at the same time or one at a time and you'll see that the PS3 is dong fine. The only reason you see this giant gap in the holiday season of 2006 is because of Sony's supply constraints. ... http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1 " Yes PS3 is doing better on this plot, fair enough. On the other hand the lines look like they will collide in about 10 weeks. And I think the following is interesting: PS3 and X360 in America, plus PS3 in Japan to fill it out. http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=America&cons2=X360&reg2=America&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&align=1 They do roughly the same in America until about week 21 when Xbox starts to take off. This is put into stark contrast if you look at the weekly data at that point. http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=America&cons2=X360&reg2=America&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&align=1&weekly=1 In other words, Sony has a problem catching up with Xbox 360 in North America, and the real problem is that they didn't get into the game to do as well as Xbox 360, they wanted to wallop it.

No games = no sales.

PSN - hanafuda

hanafuda said:
No games = no sales.

no sales = no games

HappySqurriel said:
hanafuda said:
No games = no sales.

no sales = no games

no games = no sales

RolStoppable said:
yellow15 said: