By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 American Nightmare

OriGin said:
Lingyis said:
snip

A Sony-Nintendo alliance makes so much sense for Sony it's scary to even think about it. They nearly joined up a decade ago, they could easily give it another go 2 years from now.

Quite honestly, I don't see this being a good thing for Nintendo? I doubt they would ever do it. Competition in a marketplace is healthy for companies, if there was only one console then I think the market would drop in size rather than grow.

Aye I agree. No company in their right mind would want to work for Sony right now. I worked for them for about 1 year in the entertainment department (SCEA) and let me tell you they are in shambles all the way up the food chain. There are a lot of underqualified (really stupid) people in high ranks right now which probably explains why the PS3 is in the current shape it is in. A lot of heads need to roll and Sony needs to look internally at its management before anything can be fixed. Unless a company is extremely desperate, teaming up with Sony right now (gaming division at least) would be a horrible idea. Maybe if they cleaned up their workplace a bit first...

If Sony had half a brain, I think they should just bite the bullet and do the price cut. Yes they lose money but at least they retain customers for the next generation and if they can win back 3rd parties they can still make a healthy profit. A $100 price cut only means they need to sell 3-4 more games per system. That shouldnt be too hard if they can sell enough systems and regain 3rd party confidence. The alternative is keep the price the same, lose customers and 3rd parties and allow Nintendo and MS to take over the market which will cost them even more next generation. I think you need to look at the long term.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
Collaboration with Sony essentially takes out a crucial competitor, and there's no way Nintendo wouldn't like that. Collaborating doesn't "take them out," it just ensures them some of the benefits of being in the market. When insularity is such a great asset to Nintendo, why would they want to share profits with anybody? Threatening your traditional advantages while reducing your potential gain doesn't sound like a smart plan to me. Nintendo are trying to make Sony irrelevant. Maybe there's a case of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em," but Nintendo plans to beat 'em. They plan to absolutely change the rules of the game so that a system like PS or PS2 is not even worthwhile for Sony or anyone else to make. They want to change the rules so that they can only lose if they are out-innovated.

Basically Wii is the console of Armageddon. They're gonna push everybody out of the biz. It's a recent feeling I've been getting lately. I got the feeling I'm just gonna go ahead and say it.

Sony will fade from the console biz and probably will not return now that Kutaragi has been marginalized. Loss of 3rd party and crippling losses will force them out of the biz. This will happen in 2009.

Microsoft will survive to end of gen a distant 2nd with minimal profits, maybe none for that division. If sales and profits are not enough with Sony gone and the long 10 year XBox campaign not paying off Microsoft will voluntarily exit the console business. This is 2011.

It's a feeling that rushed through me a few weeks ago. Nintendo will push them ALL out.

I don't know who will pick up the competitive gauntlet but it could very well be that Nintendo takes over 100% of the industry by default. It all depends on how bad the competition wants it. Yes it's a scary feeling.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

There's a ton of games that aren't on Wii and won't ever be on Wii in their current form (ie, not gimped). There's enough people out there that cares about graphics to keep PS3 and/or 360 alive even if nintendo end up winning massively, so I wouldn't worry about a Nintendo monopoly just yet.

The VG Charts American sales for the week ending May 30th are up. The PS3 sold less than 20k units -- wow! The Wii sold more than 120k, but it only sold so few because there is a shortage.