By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fatal Frame / Project Zero V first reviews [67 on Metacritic]

Spirit Camera got worse scores in the series although it has the best innovations in horror genre.

Around the Network
Boberkun said:
Roronaa_chan said:

But..2 is the best one

Nope, 4 is the best one. Me too can't understand common love for Crimson Butterfly.

2 > 3 > 1 > 4

Edwardooo said:
Kresnik said:
Rogerioandrade said:
It´s a japanese horror game, after all. No one should expect it to get good reviews from some closed-minded western reviewers.
As for now, there´s a big discrepancy on scores (8,5 - 4,0). Games like that tend to be very divisive in our videogame press.
Anyway, I´m still interested.

Silent Hill 2 and 3 got some extremely good reviews.  Fatal Frame 2 and 3 did a hell of a lot better than this.  Siren: Blood Curse did fairly well too.

I'd say western reviewers are alright with Japanese horror games.

Well, that was during the time Survival Horror were Survival Horror. Now they are supposed to be TPS with zombies and jumpscare.

Exactly. Western reviewers are more positive about action games with "horror" thematics than actual horror/survival games, which tend to be more focused on exploration than action. At least this is what I fell when reading certain reviews.

The range of the reviews shows a lot of discrepancy on reviewers´ perception of the game. It seems that no one is right in saying that the game is good or bad, it seems more a matter of taste than technical production (although there´s a current issue with the movement controls in many reviews)

fatslob-:O said:
Holy, where in the hell did all the excitement for this game go ?

I'm literally astounded by the power of metacritic to control perception ...

There was never excitement to begin with. The only excitement came from fans of the series or fans of Nintendo who actively researched this game's localization, and who then hyped themselves up.

there is literally no marketing for this game, it's digital only, was barely mentioned in nintendo directs (not even in e3), and so this is the first exposure people have of FFV (not a very good one either).

no one is being controlled. People just aren't going to waste time and money to buy and play every "average" game in the hopes that it turns out great

Hiku said:

50 is supposed to mean average. Whether a reviewer uses the full range of the scoring system or not depends on the reviewer. I'm not saying that that's always the case, because it's not. I'm saying that's how it's supposed to be.
And there are reviewers who use the full scale of the numerical scoring system. But instead we have the vast majority of people just automatically assuming that no one does, without understanding the review or reviewer in question. And that's the problem.

If people care about their money then they should read the reviews rather than just look at scores that mean nothing unless you understand the reviewer in question who wrote it. And if you're going to make assumptions about what the reviewer thinks, then stick as close to the norm as possible, instead of the opposite. Read the review, and if you find that the reviewer is not using the full scale, people can complain, and they can change and do what they're supposed to do. I've seen magazines and sites change their review scoring system for this very reason. And recently more sites are abolishing the scoring system completely, because readers tend to abuse and missunderstand them. Primarily through metacritic. But that site has become so important that many sites are afraid of becoming irrelevant if they leave.
There are even have people who think that something below 90 isn't good. And not from a specific reviewer, but from Metacritic, which makes it even more ridiculous.

And I'm not saying that you might enjoy a game more than the review suggests. (Although that's possible too) I'm saying the actual review may suggest something much more positive than your pre-concieved conception of what the score means to that particular reviewer, if you actually read it.
There are those who give a game a 6/10, and put a "Good" stamp on it. But many people will just assume that it means bad, and not read the review.
But yeah, even if you understand that particular reviewers scoring system, you may find that he/she gave it 4/10 because he/she doesn't like long cutscenes, but you do. Or a fighting game doesn't have a story mode, but while you find that to be a nice bonus, the most important thing is the online vs mode. Etc.
You can't understand what the score means unless you understand the reviewer. You can guess. But if we're going to guess based on conjecture, then we should guess closer to the norm. Not the opposite, and just assume that every reviewer is the same, which isn't the case.

Your idea of aggresively reading reviews and making inferences is generally done by people who have interest in the games to begin with.

If someone is into fps games and is really looking forward to star wars battlefront, then when it comes out, they will read most reviews and make an informed decision whether to buy it or not (using many factors such as personal hype, reviews, friends, ...).

But if they have no interest in a game such as fatal frame V, then you are expecting people to put in a lot of effort for a game they are not interested in. Not everyone is going to aggressively review every "average" game in the hopes that it turns out good. There are simply too many "average" games out there.

Metacritic should be an advantage for non-marketed games. If FFV had perfect scores, then people would have reevaluated their interest in the game despite not having heard of the game. Similar to Bayonetta 2

Around the Network

Mid 60s isn't a bad score at all.

But if you aren't a hardcore gamer or a fan of a specific series or genre, you will naturally go for games with a higher score.
I've played thousands of games in my life, I can appreciate the ones that aren't great by universal standards. But if you have limited funds, time or just a casual gamer, why would you buy a game in the 60s or lower if you could get an interesting game in the 80s or higher?

Now the survival genre usually doesn't have that problem, so enjoy the game.

Hiku said:
twintail said:
fatslob-:O said:
Holy, where in the hell did all the excitement for this game go ?

I'm literally astounded by the power of metacritic to control perception ...

Because people dont want to waste money on something that could potentially be as horrible as some reviews are making it out to be, especially in light of the fact that its digital only and therefore you cant trade it in.

I would say that ppl have the right to question if they want a game if money is a factor for them. 

Only 2 out of 30 reviewers gave it a below average score.
50 is average. Not bad. But sadly it seems that a lot of people don't use the full scale of the scoring system.
Instead people look at it like this.

1-50: Unplayable.
50-60: Horrible
60-65: Bad.
65-75: Average.
75-85: Good.
85-90: Great.
90-91: Very good.
91-92: Amazing.
92-93: Increadible. GOTY contender.
93-95: Greatest game of all time contender.
95-100: Can't breathe! I need an ambulance!

We have a full range of numbers from 0-100 for a reason.
Use them.
But of course always read the reviews of the games you are interested in. It can get a 40 and still sound like something you'd enjoy. Or 90 and sound like a snorefest.

No! Review scores are not averages. They're objective measures of quality and criticism for a product. 50 is mediocre, not average. The average score of games as a whole will never be a 5, unless you believe that there are more bad games than good games (that may be the case now with indies and Greenlight).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hiku said:
midrange said:

Your idea of aggresively reading reviews and making inferences is generally done by people who have interest in the games to begin with.

If someone is into fps games and is really looking forward to star wars battlefront, then when it comes out, they will read most reviews and make an informed decision whether to buy it or not (using many factors such as personal hype, reviews, friends, ...).

But if they have no interest in a game such as fatal frame V, then you are expecting people to put in a lot of effort for a game they are not interested in. Not everyone is going to aggressively review every "average" game in the hopes that it turns out good. There are simply too many "average" games out there.

Metacritic should be an advantage for non-marketed games. If FFV had perfect scores, then people would have reevaluated their interest in the game despite not having heard of the game. Similar to Bayonetta 2

I'm not expecting people who have no interest in the game to read reviews. I'm expecting those people to not jump to the conclusion that every reviewer, or the vast majority of them, ignores to use the full scoring scale.
If they are interested in the game, and care about their investment in it, then yes they should read some reviews or watch review videos.
However, the reality of today is that many people just don't read reviews any more. Even when it comes to games that they are interested in, there are people who are just going to look at the final Metacritic score, look at a couple of trailers, and nothing else. And they all have different ideas of what that score means.

That is the reality of it today. Sometimes you only have time to look at a metacritic score and make a judgement call. Like I said, not everyone will take the time to extensively review an "average" game that they have no interest in. Reviews should only affect the games you are interested in or they should bring light to massively underrated games.

How do you get around this? Market the game and get people interested

Without metacritic, people would jump from site to site glancing at the final score. Metacritic never changed anything, it just sped up the process that goes on, and in a way, brings light to hidden gems (without it's high metacritic score, Bayonetta 2 probably would have been ignored this generation).

If people are concerned with the game, there is still the demo to get. So you can get a feel for it yourself. : /

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Hiku said:
midrange said:

That is the reality of it today. Sometimes you only have time to look at a metacritic score and make a judgement call. Like I said, not everyone will take the time to extensively review an "average" game that they have no interest in. Reviews should only affect the games you are interested in or they should bring light to massively underrated games.

How do you get around this? Market the game and get people interested

Without metacritic, people would jump from site to site glancing at the final score. Metacritic never changed anything, it just sped up the process that goes on, and in a way, brings light to hidden gems (without it's high metacritic score, Bayonetta 2 probably would have been ignored this generation).

There are alternatives to numerical scores that are much more clear though. A number can be missinterprited without context. While with something like: "Is it worth playing?: Yes/No." you can't missunderstand the reviewers intention regarding if he/she recommends you to play the game.

Metacritic didn't change much. I agree with that. But there are a few things. When you jumped from site to site to check the final score, you could also some times see what a particular score meant according to that site, because they would specify it. And you'd realize some differences between the way some sites score things.
This concept gets lost without that information, and instead people interprit the scores based on their own preconceptions of what they represent. And I've seen someone who thinks that the difference between 89 and the "at least 92" on Metacritic (not even a specific review) that he expected meant canceling his preorder. Three points. And three points at the very end of the upper scale of the spectrum, for that matter.
Another thing is also that, even if you only came there to look at the final score, there's a greater chance of something in the article catching your eye, and making you actually read the review even though you initially didn't plan to, if you go to the review rather than just look at the final score somewhere else.

A yes/no system would reward the average and downplay the achievement of the greats. 

Also, if metacritic is gone, people would most likely just focus on 3 or 4 reviews as opposed to looking at the general consensus. Suddenly major sites like IGN and Gamespot are given waaay more influence and are more likely to be bribed.

Metacritic is not perfect, but it takes an already subjective field (reviews) and tries to objectify it so that people get a good sense of the games they are interested in. If your friend cancelled the preorder because a game got an 89, then I doubt he was truly interested in the game. Looking at a final score simplifies things immensly and while mediocre games get overlooked, hidden gems get brought out.