Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do I make gaming fun again?

The constant release cycle of new games, and the ability to buy all of them, hurts the love of gaming sometimes.
I go through this as well. To rectify it I often play a game I love and have played before so that I can just relax. Or I'll start a really long game like fallout (mgsv currently) that I can get lost in and not even think about other games.

Around the Network

Find some like minded streamers to watch/interact with.

disolitude said:
AZWification said:

What WiiU games have you played, disolitude?

I have played the following:

Sonic Lost World, ZombiU, Super Mario BrosU, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8.

Not many as of late. 

I see. Are you a fan of Smash? You should definitely give the WiiU game a try! It's tons of fun, specially with friends. Other games which are fun with friends are 3D World and Rayman Legends! Splatoon is also worth playing. This year I felt very meh about gaming, but then I played Splatoon in August and I completely forgot about that! I'm not saying it's going to work 100% for you, but it's worth the try!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

disolitude said:

I need your help here guys.

Gaming isn't as fun as it used to be and no matter what I try to do I just don't enjoy it...Its something that has been slowly building up for the past 2-3 years and I am finally at a point where I do not enjoy gaming at all.

I have all the money necessary to buy consoles and best games that the industry has to offer, but ithe concept of gaming just isn't engaging to me anymore. It's either too tedious, too slow, not fun, too stressful or a combination of things. When I have spare time that I used to dedicate to gaming I usually find myself reading books, watching sports, even doing house work...all before I would consider booting up a game or two.  

Is the party over? Has anyone lost their gaming mojo and somehow eventually got it back? Should I just accept its over and move on?

It's probably because of the state of the industry. It's not pushing things to the extreme like the PS2 era was. We aren't seeing very many genre defining games and experiences. Most of it is just treading the waters of last gen, with slightly better results... if you get my drift (hehe).

My advice? Take a break! Don't even think about gaming. Put all of your consoles away. Stop coming here. Stop thinking about it. Take a good long break and don't come back until you feel passionate for it again. If that happens, you'll thank me. If not? Then the party really is over... over rather, the old party is. The thing about life is this... one thing ends, another thing begins. 

You'll find something to replace gaming if it's truly the end. No worries.

Play old games. They're better. It's not like the 8th gen has been inspiring me much either (Super Mario Maker as the sole ray of light lately, but likely because it's based on old games), but there's always the classics to play.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

I have all the money necessary to buy consoles and best games that the industry has to offer, but ithe concept of gaming just isn't engaging to me anymore.

You ever played on PC?

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

My friend is in the same boat. And I tell him to

-Play indie games; they are cheap and somewhat nostalgic

-Play mutliplayer games (local only) and you will have a blast.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Hehe... i am currently struggling with something similar but its for a different reason. I played too many MMO's. Things need to feel worthwhile to me. I need to feel rewarded for the effort put into playing, wich has been eating away at my enjoyment of console games.
But, what is funny is that my problem is the will to start playing. Once i am playing for a bit i start enjoying it and then i think about when to stop so i don't get too much into it and save it for later. Its very annoying.
I do think its becaue i'm addicted to WoW. I want to play more of it, but there isnt much worhwhile doing atm. I am dieing to know more about legion.

Another issue is that today's games are very long. Especially RPG's and sandboxes and i havea compulsive need to clear every objective. So, when i start these games i know i need to invest alot on them and end up not even starting the games.

m0ney said:
disolitude said:

I have all the money necessary to buy consoles and best games that the industry has to offer, but ithe concept of gaming just isn't engaging to me anymore.

You ever played on PC?

I certanly have. I've been primarily a PC gamer for the last 10 years. 

Found this doozy of a thread I posed 4 years ago...fun times.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130806

PC's aren't doing it for me either. They are stuck in derivative technology upgrades (Gsync, Freesync, game streaming), but no one is pushing games and gameplay. I am however patiently awaiting Oculus rift and HoloLens to see if that will be the next technology step that engages me.  

disolitude said:
m0ney said:

You ever played on PC?

I certanly have. I've been primarily a PC gamer for the last 10 years. 

Found this doozy of a thread I posed 4 years ago...fun times.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130806

PC's aren't doing it for me either. They are stuck in derivative technology upgrades (Gsync, Freesync, game streaming), but no one is pushing games and gameplay. I am however patiently awaiting Oculus rift and HoloLens to see if that will be the next technology step that engages me.  

Eek, and I was going to say how PC could be a brand new world for you with tons of exclusives and user content :P

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.