By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do I make gaming fun again?

disolitude said:
Wow, I really appreciate the feedback. Lots of great ideas and suggestions here...

I've been a gamer since the late 80s and have thoroughly enjoyed every gen until the last one (X360, PS3). The last gen was when this began and I went from going crazy with anticipation and calling in sick at work to play Halo 3 on day 1, to being completely meh about Halo 4 for example. It didn't matter if games were SP or MP, I just didn't find them as enjoyable as before.

Fast forward to this gen and 2015 and I am literally unable and unwilling to finish any game I play. I have over 50 games for Xbox One and WiiU ranging from fun indies to "AAA" ones, to Peggle. Only games I played beginning to end this gen and had fun with it was Dead Rising 3 and ZombiU.

I also play maybe for an hour every 2 weeks, so I am not really saturating my spare time with gaming.

What I think I'll do is ride out this holiday season. If Halo 5 doesn't do it for me, and Transformers Devastation sucks and few others are just not enjoyable, I'll go off the grid for 3-6 months. That way I'll see if time off helps...and if not, I think that's gonna be all she wrote for me.

I also recommend you to try Super Mario Maker. Rather than play, you are going to create. Sometimes, gaming is not fun because is predictable. With the game maybe you can try new ideas in your head.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I'm also with those suggesting a break from everything (games and gaming news/forums), and/or try simpler games that doesn't need your whole attention, that you can play more relaxed and with no pressure.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Play Ni no Kuni or something tragic and heartwarming and try to back away from mainstream AAA shovelware a bit.

I feel you. Many great franchises, developers, and genres died in the great online only versus photosimulator green and brown shooter mainstream AAA bro gamer focused 7th gen.  Seriously the average 7th gen "gamer" can be summed up by the 20-30 yr old guy you see that still wears raiders tank tops like hes in highschool and grabs his crotch in displays of manliness.  Youve smelled the AXE at Gamestop Im sure.

I know Halo 17 and Transformers: Another Movie Game will not do it for you.  Trust me.  These are exactly the types of games burning you out.  

Play something niche and charming.  Play something cute and colorful that uses colors other than green and brown.  Be a kid again and remember what it was like playing VIDEO GAMES instead of real life and military sims.

Going back to what made you love gaming in the first place is hard when everyone has dollar signs in their eyesto be the next COD or Angry Birds.

Play something like Xenoblade Chronicles and just relax and take in the scenery and invest your heart into the characters and world no matter how slow it seems.  Its worth it. A good JRPG is a soul shaking experience.

And Nintendo games.  Single player, offline, no stress of achievements, gamer scores, frags, K/D, competition or any of that crap that has ruined it for all of us.  There is too much competition and too many competition inducing metagames (eg achievements)  contributing to the burnout. 

Play Nintendo, you will recover yourself instantly, it happened to me before.

If nothing works that has already been mentioned in this thread then I think it's time you start looking for a new hobby ...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Wow, I really appreciate the feedback. Lots of great ideas and suggestions here...

I've been a gamer since the late 80s and have thoroughly enjoyed every gen until the last one (X360, PS3). The last gen was when this began and I went from going crazy with anticipation and calling in sick at work to play Halo 3 on day 1, to being completely meh about Halo 4 for example. It didn't matter if games were SP or MP, I just didn't find them as enjoyable as before.

Fast forward to this gen and 2015 and I am literally unable and unwilling to finish any game I play. I have over 50 games for Xbox One and WiiU ranging from fun indies to "AAA" ones, to Peggle. Only games I played beginning to end this gen and had fun with it was Dead Rising 3 and ZombiU.

I also play maybe for an hour every 2 weeks, so I am not really saturating my spare time with gaming.

What I think I'll do is ride out this holiday season. If Halo 5 doesn't do it for me, and Transformers Devastation sucks and few others are just not enjoyable, I'll go off the grid for 3-6 months. That way I'll see if time off helps...and if not, I think that's gonna be all she wrote for me.

50 games in about 2 years is a lot. Maybe, one of the problems is that you have too many games. It may seem strange but since it's only natural you want to spend more spare time on other activities, if you have too many games (more than what is possible to play in the time you feel 'acceptable' to dedicate to games) you won't likely feel compelled to invest enough time in a single title.

Most good games require some time before you get really involved (I'm thinking of Demon Souls for example), if you have too much choice, you'll likely switch from one game to another before you can really get the grasp of it. The same thing happened to me some year ago when I decided to pirate games for a certain console; I went form buying only a few games per year to having all the possible games I could want, but in the end I started abandoning games halfway and I was becoming disengaged.

Imo, to make gaming fun again you should become much more selective when you buy games. You should be well aware of your tastes, and put them before anything else, avoid impulsive buys or to buy a game just because it's critically praised (After all, ZombiU and Dead Rising 3 got a lukewarm reception from the media).

Another suggestion, if you can, is to share your passion with some other player in real life. Writing on forums is fun but it's not quite like playing and talking about games with friends. Sharing is a great part of the enjoyment.

This has happened once before and I pretty much stopped playing games for about 3-4 months. I just did other things that I found or enjoyable. I kinda eased back into it with time. With my current play times, I'm expecting to crash in the next couple of months. :-/

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Devolve yourself till you are 10 years younger. That should be the ripe age to like this crap. But if you can't afford the process or don't have the technology to do so, just start watching twitch. Gaming is boring. Why waste your time doing it, when you can watch someone else waste their time doing it? Maybe watching certain people suck will make you want to play the games just to get that stupid taste out of your mouth. 😃

I know when I retire, I'm going to a third world country and have kids play my games to get me Achievements while I enjoy my young women entertaining me, hoping to get papers to come to the US. It excites me just thinking about it. 😆

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

Some people grow out of their past hobbies, so you wouldn't be the first.

If you want to get back into gaming though, maybe play some games that you really enjoyed before? I had a lot of fun playing some DS games that I've beaten a while back and restarted

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

rolltide101x said:

Step 1 Get a gaming PC
Step 2 Install Civilization 5
Step 3 Play Civilization 5

It is just do easy to get into. (also Nintendo games are good for this)

This is what I do when I feel jaded with gaming.