Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do I make gaming fun again?

Play multiplayer games or try something you've never played before.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
disolitude said:

I need your help here guys.

Gaming isn't as fun as it used to be and no matter what I try to do I just don't enjoy it...Its something that has been slowly building up for the past 2-3 years and I am finally at a point where I do not enjoy gaming at all.

I have all the money necessary to buy consoles and best games that the industry has to offer, but ithe concept of gaming just isn't engaging to me anymore. It's either too tedious, too slow, not fun, too stressful or a combination of things. When I have spare time that I used to dedicate to gaming I usually find myself reading books, watching sports, even doing house work...all before I would consider booting up a game or two.  

Is the party over? Has anyone lost their gaming mojo and somehow eventually got it back? Should I just accept its over and move on?

Have you played games like Journey and Until Dawn? I haven't played the latter but from what I've heard it offers a unique kind of experience. Maybe such games are not your cup of tea. I just think you need to play something different.

I agree with the person who said to stop coming to gaming websites (at least regularly). While it's nice to keep up with the news, I find that the immaturity that plagues internet forums really saps my desire to play.

Having said that, it's also about finding the right game. I've always loved twitch games like platformers or shmups, but I'm just not into action oriented games these days (with the exception of the BIT.TRIP series). The only games I've really been into are puzzle games. I play Picross when I'm on my own, and Zack & Wiki with my wife on the rare occasion that she has time. We also have a long standing Dr. Mario rivalry that we indulge in every once in a while.

Have a full gaming stop for a couple of months.

disolitude said:

I need your help here guys.

Gaming isn't as fun as it used to be and no matter what I try to do I just don't enjoy it...Its something that has been slowly building up for the past 2-3 years and I am finally at a point where I do not enjoy gaming at all.

I have all the money necessary to buy consoles and best games that the industry has to offer, but ithe concept of gaming just isn't engaging to me anymore. It's either too tedious, too slow, not fun, too stressful or a combination of things. When I have spare time that I used to dedicate to gaming I usually find myself reading books, watching sports, even doing house work...all before I would consider booting up a game or two.  

Is the party over? Has anyone lost their gaming mojo and somehow eventually got it back? Should I just accept its over and move on?

Step away from it for a while.  Forums about games, articles about games, games themselves.  Sometimes you need a break and can find other things to fill your time.  Those things happen.  I myself usually go through cycles where I will do a ton of gaming for a while then not touch a controller for a few months. 

Around the Network

This has happened to me several times in the past.

Previously, my solutions have been to take a hiatus from gaming in general and to try out different avenues in gaming that I hadn't fully divulged in before. Both worked very well for me.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Download Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I suggest just picking out one game which you've never heard about and playing. You won't know what you're getting yourself into and who know, maybe you'll have a lot of fun :P. Worked for me.

We all know Sony domination is a real thing and there is nothing Microsoft or Nintendo can do about it....

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

I either take breaks, or try games from a genre or series I never explored before.

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback. Lots of great ideas and suggestions here...

I've been a gamer since the late 80s and have thoroughly enjoyed every gen until the last one (X360, PS3). The last gen was when this began and I went from going crazy with anticipation and calling in sick at work to play Halo 3 on day 1, to being completely meh about Halo 4 for example. It didn't matter if games were SP or MP, I just didn't find them as enjoyable as before.

Fast forward to this gen and 2015 and I am literally unable and unwilling to finish any game I play. I have over 50 games for Xbox One and WiiU ranging from fun indies to "AAA" ones, to Peggle. Only games I played beginning to end this gen and had fun with it was Dead Rising 3 and ZombiU.

I also play maybe for an hour every 2 weeks, so I am not really saturating my spare time with gaming.

What I think I'll do is ride out this holiday season. If Halo 5 doesn't do it for me, and Transformers Devastation sucks and few others are just not enjoyable, I'll go off the grid for 3-6 months. That way I'll see if time off helps...and if not, I think that's gonna be all she wrote for me.