By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop: Disc-based games will be around forever/long time

rolltide101x said:

Not even close dude. Internet speed can not even dream of keeping up with HDMI speeds. LOCAL streaming is not even perfect and we are talking about cloud streaming?

With that 50 GB download you download it one time and your done, with streaming at full 1080p after playing the game for a 15 hours you would be at 50 GBs. 

Netflix is 3 GBs per hour for 1080p and game streaming will be even higher

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Japan is the ONLY major gaming market that could properly support cloud streaming 

With HDMI, your outputting uncompressed images so your comparison with internet speeds is flawed to begin with ... 

Local streaming works just fine since nearly every internet connection can get a low latency of under 50ms ... 

It's only 3GB/hour on HIGH quality, your example is all for naught when there are other settings ...

Your wrong again on the last statement. Onlive which was a cloud gaming streaming service based in the US only required a 2 Mbit/s connection. If what you were saying was true then why didn't PS Now launch in Japan first instead of America ? The only obvious answer is they don't believe in your view that Japan has a much better internet infrastructure to support cloud gaming ... 

Around the Network

Of course disks are going to be around for a long time. Whether or not people actually want century old pieces of plastic is another story.

Shadow1980 said:

They're. Still. BEING! MADE!

Again, the music industry isn't just up and saying "You like CDs? Too bad. Go buy an iPod." Sure, sales of non-blank CDs (if we include PS1 games) dropped from around a billion in 1999 to 144 million in the U.S., so of course with that reduction in volume they're going to shut down some plants. If they were going to force a switch to digital, they would shut them all down. But they're not! Because there's still well over 100 million CDs being sold in the U.S. alone each year. That's a huge drop, but 144 million is still a lot of fucking CDs (almost 400,000 a day on average, over 16k per hour), plus they still consitute a huge chunk of the music industry's revenues. Hell, LPs are still being made and they sell one-tenth of what CDs do. There's still demand for CDs, so they're still going to be made, and the music industry is not trying to force everyone to adopt mp3s and/or streaming. That's the entire point I was trying to make, yet you make a federal case out of one little blurb in my post in order to... what, exactly?

Didn't really mean to make a big deal about your original blurb, but I originally read it and thought you were denying the real decline of the CD format in the Music industry in the face of other digital options.  Now that you've elaborated and going back and reading it again I can see that was not your intention.   Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I, for one, welcome our new digital overlords.

Seriously though, physical media will be around for a long time. Although Internet connections are getting faster, the size of games keeps getting bigger too. Next generation will probably come in 2018 or 2019, it will support 4K, and releases will probably be averaging 100 Gb in size. I don't expect Internet connections in all parts of the world to support streaming / downloading these games with any sort of convenience.

I pove physical media and I hope it'll be around for a long enough time!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I hope retail stays around forever
I hate digital because it has no value for me

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

fatslob-:O said:

With HDMI, your outputting uncompressed images so your comparison with internet speeds is flawed to begin with ... 

Local streaming works just fine since nearly every internet connection can get a low latency of under 50ms ... 

It's only 3GB/hour on HIGH quality, your example is all for naught when there are other settings ...

Your wrong again on the last statement. Onlive which was a cloud gaming streaming service based in the US only required a 2 Mbit/s connection. If what you were saying was true then why didn't PS Now launch in Japan first instead of America ? The only obvious answer is they don't believe in your view that Japan has a much better internet infrastructure to support cloud gaming ... 

So basically you want compressed garbage for the future? Nice

rolltide101x said:

So basically you want compressed garbage for the future? Nice

That's the customers choice, either way your premise was already disproven ...

kitler53 said:
i'm already full digital but there are always a few technology adverse people in the world.

Also some people who have to spend $180/month for 10mbps. Not to mention those damn criminal data caps.

No they won't, Gamestop. You just want them to be.