By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop: Disc-based games will be around forever/long time

This man is delusional.

Music and movies cost less to distribute via physical medium and the hardware to play the medium is prominent and also cheap.

Games have larger distribution fees to create the physical media relative to music/movies plus there is a larger impact on the devices (consoles) that must add a drive that uses power and limits design.

I see a great possibility of having all digital console platforms post-PS4/XB1; maybe even as redesigns of these consoles as their "slim" versions. I don't think Nintendo will do that with NX, but likely after NX as well.

Around the Network
ZombieVito said:
rolltide101x said:

PS5 and XBOne2 will be digital only. I can pretty much promise you that. They will not be streaming boxes though

I guess the PS4 will be my last console then.

Ditto. I will not buy a console that's either digital only or streaming only.

It will last for a long time... but that doesn't mean that digital wouldn't become a lot more popular over physical..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Physical discs are turning into download keys already so by the time next-gen starts I'm definitely going full-digital. Just look at the physical games sold right now, a lot of them would be straight up broken without all the patches and how long are those patches going to stay up? I believe when the "push" really starts, digital is going to take over pretty fast.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Soundwave said:

I don't see anyone but maybe Sony using discs for their next systems. Nintendo and MS I think are basically done with them.

I've said it many times but your kids will laugh their ass off at you one day when you tell them to play a video game you had to insert a big shiny disc into a shoe-box sized console just to play one game that you had to buy from the store one at a time. 

My kid who is barely 10, has openly expressed her fear of digital only. She loves getting physical movies, music and games. So, you should probably edit that statement to someting like "if you have unintelligent kids, they will laugh their ass off" because anyone witn any with common sense knows that an all streaming/digital world is horiffic for the consumer. 

The more power companies can take from us, the better it will be for them and the worse it will be for us. 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

How so ?

If you have a fast enough connection to download 50+ GB games in a reasonable amount of time such as under 12 hours then doing a 1080p30fps stream in realtime is far more trivial, connection speed requirement wise ... 

Not even close dude. Internet speed can not even dream of keeping up with HDMI speeds. LOCAL streaming is not even perfect and we are talking about cloud streaming?

With that 50 GB download you download it one time and your done, with streaming at full 1080p after playing the game for a 15 hours you would be at 50 GBs. 

Netflix is 3 GBs per hour for 1080p and game streaming will be even higher

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Japan is the ONLY major gaming market that could properly support cloud streaming 

It doesn't need to go away but as a digital only consumer I would prefer the option of buying a console with a solid state drive or with much more storage  which doesn't have a physical drive for the same price as the regular console which has the disc drive.  I don't want to pay for a drive I don't use.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Soundwave said:

I don't see anyone but maybe Sony using discs for their next systems. Nintendo and MS I think are basically done with them.

I've said it many times but your kids will laugh their ass off at you one day when you tell them to play a video game you had to insert a big shiny disc into a shoe-box sized console just to play one game that you had to buy from the store one at a time. 

My kid who is barely 10, has openly expressed her fear of digital only. She loves getting physical movies, music and games. So, you should probably edit that statement to someting like "if you have unintelligent kids, they will laugh their ass off" because anyone witn any with common sense knows that an all streaming/digital world is horiffic for the consumer. 

The more power companies can take from us, the better it will be for them and the worse it will be for us. 

Straight up bullshit, seriously. This has nothing to do with intelligence, you just have twisted it in a way which paints people with different subjective opinion as unintelligent while putting your own child to a pedestal. And for many people it is not even an opinion of "digital is good" but "digital will happen" whether you like it or not. I personally believe the usage of physical discs will be considered "pre-historic" in my lifetime (if I can live a normal life). You should also understand that not everyone weights their life with consumerism, for them there are other things far more important. That does not make them unintelligent but from that perspective, you could not act intelligent, could you?

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

bowserthedog said:

It doesn't need to go away but as a digital only consumer I would prefer the option of buying a console with a solid state drive or with much more storage  which doesn't have a physical drive for the same price as the regular console which has the disc drive.  I don't want to pay for a drive I don't use.

Nah, Solid State is to expensive and does not last as long

WC4Life said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Straight up bullshit, seriously. This has nothing to do with intelligence, you just have twisted it in a way which paints people with different subjective opinion as unintelligent while putting your own child to a pedestal. And for many people it is not even an opinion of "digital is good" but "digital will happen" whether you like it or not. I personally believe the usage of physical discs will be considered "pre-historic" in my lifetime (if I can live a normal life). You should also understand that not everyone weights their life with consumerism, for them there are other things far more important. That does not make them unintelligent but from that perspective, you could not act intelligent, could you?

Having more control as a consumer is not a matter of opinion. It is a fact that people have more control when they own a physical game vs. subscribing to a streaming service where by said game is never owned. Fact, not opinion. Now, you can argue that you personally do not CARE about forgoing that control for various reasons, that's fine. But you can not argue that you are, in fact, giving up control to the corporation that provides the service to you.

It's pretty basic, low hanging fruit stuff.