By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop: Disc-based games will be around forever/long time

- says CEO Paul Raines:

Disc-based games will be around forever,” he says. “The market has seen physical music sales down 50% from its peak and physical movie sales down 60% from its peak, but even in a doomsday scenario, disc-based games will be around for a long time. I see a complimentary business where we sell discs plus download like the current console mode. Virtual reality games will also likely follow this model.”

- Digital sales accounted for $948 million of GameStop’s $9.3 billion in revenue in 2014

- GameStop owned an estimated 42% share of the downloadable games market last year

- GameStop continues to benefit from both the sale of pre-owned games, which saw a 5% constant currency rise in the second quarter

http://fortune.com/2015/09/29/gamestop-ceo-paul-raines/

Do you hope he is right? Or can't you wait for gaming to go all digital?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

They absolutely will not be around forever lol

This reminds me of a conversation I had while back with an economics professor who said that the crude oil supply is theoretically infinite because at some point the price will outweigh the demand.

i'm already full digital but there are always a few technology adverse people in the world.

As much as I prefer physical games, no that is not true v.v

Around the Network

Physical may not last forever, but I hope it lasts for as long as possible.

No surprise that GameStop has a vested interest in discs being around forever huh?

Anyway sarcasm aside, I hope they are right to some degree. I love me some physical media. Though forever sounds like a bit of an overestimation though. Personally until digital gets all it's problems ironed out on all fronts then I won't be comfortable diving in 100%.  But yeah a mixture of physical and digital is what I see for the near future (next 10 years or so), can't really imagine much past that.

Just anything but streaming please.

JetSetter said:

No surprise that GameStop has a vested interest in discs being around forever huh?

Anyway sarcasm aside, I hope they are right to some degree. I love me some physical media. Though forever sounds like a bit of an overestimation though. Personally until digital gets all it's problems ironed out on all fronts then I won't be comfortable diving in 100%.  But yeah a mixture of physical and digital is what I see for the near future (next 10 years or so), can't really imagine much past that.

Just anything but streaming please.

PS5 and XBOne2 will be digital only. I can pretty much promise you that. They will not be streaming boxes though

It is inevitable. The matter of when is 10 years or 30 years based on availability of streaming technology across the globe.

I hope their right, at least on the very long time bit.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P