By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop: Disc-based games will be around forever/long time

Won't be around forever, but maybe the next couple generations. I think Gamecard formats will be much more favorable in the future.

Around the Network

ReimTime said:
I know I've said this before but I talked to a higher up at EB Games (Canada's Gamestop) and he told me that they have a plan in place for full digital stores should the market shift that way. I think it will inevitably happen

That actually makes me wonder what exactly that would look like.

It's best from a business perspective to provide consumers with options, that way you can sell your product to as many people as possible, it's for this exact reason that we won't be seeing the end of physical media for games or any form of entertainment for a long time.

Even if the majority may favor a Digital Only platform that doesn't mean a huge market for Physical Media won't still exist.
Having a disc drive in a console just adds redundancy for when a person wants a game, but their internet connection packs up or they laps on a bill payment, they can still buy a new game and play it on their system, they can't do that if they have no way of getting the data through their phone-line.

We'll see at least a few more console generations before there's any real sign of Digital Only being on the cards, it certainly hasn't happened yet, Digital is just one option.

I really don't get this mentality of wanting to reduce your options, because that's what going Digital Only does, it's easy to have physical and digital live together in harmony.

Forever? He's obviously speaking from an unbiased perspective with inside foresight.

I'll give it two more generations

I would hope he is right. I do like my physical goods a lot : )

Though when he says forever, it comes off a bit as desperate. : / Keep it together Gamestop.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Zkuq said:

You might want to reconsider, considering the price differences. Digital usually costs a lot more, even though there's less costs involved in delivering the product. Unless digital prices crash, I wouldn't give up on physical even, or especially, if it's just a key.

At the moment digital is priced too high but that's only because retail exists. Retailers would not be happy if a game they sell at $60 would be sold $40 in the digital store.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

WC4Life said:
Zkuq said:

You might want to reconsider, considering the price differences. Digital usually costs a lot more, even though there's less costs involved in delivering the product. Unless digital prices crash, I wouldn't give up on physical even, or especially, if it's just a key.

At the moment digital is priced too high but that's only because retail exists. Retailers would not be happy if a game they sell at $60 would be sold $40 in the digital store.

And you expect prices to come down when there's less competition and no external incentive to drop prices? Digital market on consoles is also focused on the console company's own service, meaning no competition at all if physical dies. Then the only competition you possibly have is on other platforms, and I doubt that's going to do much. You do have a point, but that's extremely optimistic in my opinion. And even if it's not, the death of retail will take a long, long time.