By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop: Disc-based games will be around forever/long time

I don't see anyone but maybe Sony using discs for their next systems. Nintendo and MS I think are basically done with them.

I've said it many times but your kids will laugh their ass off at you one day when you tell them to play a video game you had to insert a big shiny disc into a shoe-box sized console just to play one game that you had to buy from the store one at a time. 

Around the Network

I know I've said this before but I talked to a higher up at EB Games (Canada's Gamestop) and he told me that they have a plan in place for full digital stores should the market shift that way. I think it will inevitably happen

#1 Amb-ass-ador

It will last a long time up until the fibre optic internet connections become the standard but nothing truly lasts "forever" in the absolute sense ...

rolltide101x said:

PS5 and XBOne2 will be digital only. I can pretty much promise you that. They will not be streaming boxes though

That doesn't make any sense ... 

If your already a digital only platform then you might as well depend on the cloud to render your games ... 

Forever is an awfully long time but yes physical media will probably always exist.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
rolltide101x said:

PS5 and XBOne2 will be digital only. I can pretty much promise you that. They will not be streaming boxes though

That doesn't make any sense ... 

If your already a digital only platform then you might as well depend on the cloud to render your games ... 

Sony and MS (and developers) make more of a profit when you buy a game digitially and it eliminates used game sales from which they make no money. The world is ready for a digital only console. The world is not ready for a cloud streaming console (will not happen for a long time if ever)

Sony and MS were both considering not putting a disc drive in the PS4 and XBOne, its pretty much a no-brainer it is happening next-gen

I'll support physical as long as it's around. I refuse to buy digital, when there's a physical copy available.

rolltide101x said:

Sony and MS (and developers) make more of a profit when you buy a game digitially and it eliminates used game sales from which they make no money. The world is ready for a digital only console. The world is not ready for a cloud streaming console (will not happen for a long time if ever)

Sony and MS were both considering not putting a disc drive in the PS4 and XBOne, its pretty much a no-brainer it is happening next-gen

How so ?

If you have a fast enough connection to download 50+ GB games in a reasonable amount of time such as under 12 hours then doing a 1080p30fps stream in realtime is far more trivial, connection speed requirement wise ... 

They're gonna be obsolete sooner or later.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

rolltide101x said:
JetSetter said:

No surprise that GameStop has a vested interest in discs being around forever huh?

Anyway sarcasm aside, I hope they are right to some degree. I love me some physical media. Though forever sounds like a bit of an overestimation though. Personally until digital gets all it's problems ironed out on all fronts then I won't be comfortable diving in 100%.  But yeah a mixture of physical and digital is what I see for the near future (next 10 years or so), can't really imagine much past that.

Just anything but streaming please.

I guess the PS4 will be my last console then.