By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop: Disc-based games will be around forever/long time

fatslob-:O said:

How so ?

If you have a fast enough connection to download 50+ GB games in a reasonable amount of time such as under 12 hours then doing a 1080p30fps stream in realtime is far more trivial, connection speed requirement wise ... 

Stop spreading truth.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
This man is delusional.

Music and movies cost less to distribute via physical medium and the hardware to play the medium is prominent and also cheap.

Games have larger distribution fees to create the physical media relative to music/movies plus there is a larger impact on the devices (consoles) that must add a drive that uses power and limits design.

I see a great possibility of having all digital console platforms post-PS4/XB1; maybe even as redesigns of these consoles as their "slim" versions. I don't think Nintendo will do that with NX, but likely after NX as well.

Patents say Nintendo will do it with NX. The platform they're talking about, one that's meant to emulate the to most prominant digital platforms of the common era, doesn't work without being all digital, no matter how much people whine and complain that it can.

maybe for the next 10 years it would still be present but certainly not forever.

spemanig said:
superchunk said:
This man is delusional.

Music and movies cost less to distribute via physical medium and the hardware to play the medium is prominent and also cheap.

Games have larger distribution fees to create the physical media relative to music/movies plus there is a larger impact on the devices (consoles) that must add a drive that uses power and limits design.

I see a great possibility of having all digital console platforms post-PS4/XB1; maybe even as redesigns of these consoles as their "slim" versions. I don't think Nintendo will do that with NX, but likely after NX as well.

Patents say Nintendo will do it with NX. The platform they're talking about, one that's meant to emulate the to most prominant digital platforms of the common era, doesn't work without being all digital, no matter how much people whine and complain that it can.

Nintendo patents suggest no CD media but that doesn't mean it won't have cart based media.

I agree.

People saying music and movies moved to digital are delusional too... these medias are sold retail yet... even Vinil is sold at retail after 30 year in UK for example?

A lot of people here prefer to buy the box of series over to watch via a digital way yet.

There will always be space for both in the market.

Around the Network

Looking at the latest data though, there is a definite rise in Digital and decrease in Physical.

U.S. Consumer Spending ($ in millions) First Half 2014 First Half 2015 YOY
Sell-Thru Packaged Goods -All  $ 3,263.14 $ 2,799.28 -14.22%
Total Rental (excluding VOD) $ 1,729.93 $ 1,642.92 -5.03%
Total Digital  $ 3,729.93  $ 4,318.50  15.78%
Total U.S. Home Entertainment Spending  $ 8,723.00 $ 8,760.70 0.43%

The trend of a decline in physical seems to be real.

superchunk said:

Nintendo patents suggest no CD media but that doesn't mean it won't have cart based media.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to also mention that common sence suggests that it won't have cart based media. That, and the patent is clearly refering to a regular SD card slot, not a cartridge slot, as has been clarified for weeks.

Forever? Damn...

I want some of the shit he's smoking.

spemanig said:
superchunk said:

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot to also mention that common sence suggests that it won't have cart based media. That, and the patent is clearly refering to a regular SD card slot, not a cartridge slot, as has been clarified for weeks.

You do realize DS line essentially uses a SD card as a "game cart"?

superchunk said:

You do realize DS line essentially uses a SD card as a "game cart"?

I do.