By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Gone to Far With DLC.

Has Nintendo gone to far with dlc?

Yes 48 21.43%

No 109 48.66%

aniibos are overpriced 31 13.84%

Maybe 20 8.93%

Other 4 1.79%

Nintendo is the new EA! 12 5.36%

Total:224
spemanig said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I still find the complains about amiibo really absurd, there is not a single game where they unlock anything significant at all outside Mario Party X and even there is completely lame, I dont buy amiibo and I didn´t feel the need to buy any amiibo for any particular feature at all in all this time, yet I only see people complaining because aparently is fundamental that you are able to dress your mii like Kirby in MK8 .

It's bullshit that someone uninterested in plastic toy collecting has to drop over $200 to have the full mii wardrobe in Mario Kart 8. If you can't see the problem with that, you're literally blind.

Last time I checked Mii were considered too uncool to be relevant. You need 20 amiibo to unlock all their customes? Well boo hoo. You literally need to borrow them for just one second and that's it. I didn't know people were this lazy nowadays. And whiny.

Around the Network

I don't understand the arguments about Smash being a complete game. No one is saying Smash is incomplete. That doesn't somehow make its DLC not bullshit. It doesn't matter if most is cosmetic. It costs $42 to own all of the DLC in the new Smash for only on version. And for clarification, $18 of that is just for four fighters and Ryu's stage.

In a game with more than 50 characters, expanding the roster by 8% shouldn't cost you a whopping 25% of the game's original price. Under no circumstances, no matter how packed the main game was, is this acceptable.

gatito said:

Last time I checked Mii were considered too uncool to be relevant. You need 20 amiibo to unlock all their customes? Well boo hoo. You literally need to borrow them for just one second and that's it. I didn't know people were this lazy nowadays. And whiny.

My friends don't collect Amiibo either. So because a cancer of internet dwellers think mii avatars are uncool, pricing paywall DLC for their costumes at $13 a pop is now ethical business? Get out of here. Whiny because people will call out a raw deal when they see one? Give me a break.

With Smash, sure. Overall? Definitely not. And I don't see how Amiibos is such a big issue but that might be because I actually like the idea of collectible figurines that also gives you exclusive cosmetic stuff for certain games. Those extra items are for those who own the figurines and if you don't want the figurine...well, too fucking bad. Not that I've used an Amiibo in a game yet, despite owning 35 of them...

Smash has crap tons of DLC, there is no doubt. Although it's not that different from TLOU and similar. The great part of both of these is that none of the DLC is required for either. If you don't like the DLC, don't get it.
I don't really like all the DLC, but at the same time nobody is forcing me to buy it. I have purchased a couple bundles of DLC for Smash, they total about 12-15 bucks I think, they came with some new characters and stages. I don't think that's out of control at all. There are costumes for Mii's for those that want it, but again nothing is forcing anyone to get it.
The opposite side of a game like Smash with DLC is Splatoon. All the DLC is free so far. Fantastic. The content was a bit anemic before, but other games have been released with similar but have charged for the DLC or expansions to make the games full.
Amiibo as DLC aren't good IMO, but I do like them for the collection purposes. I'm not a full collector or anything like that, I just get the ones I like.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I still find the complains about amiibo really absurd, there is not a single game where they unlock anything significant at all outside Mario Party X and even there is completely lame, I dont buy amiibo and I didn´t feel the need to buy any amiibo for any particular feature at all in all this time, yet I only see people complaining because aparently is fundamental that you are able to dress your mii like Kirby in MK8 .

It's bullshit that someone uninterested in plastic toy collecting has to drop over $200 to have the full mii wardrobe in Mario Kart 8. If you can't see the problem with that, you're literally blind.

Most of that lame content that amiibo unlocks exists because amiibo on the first place, so the not existence of amiibo would probably mean the not existence of that content at all, I don´t see how that is better in any sense (except for having less whiny people and less food for the haters),I understand complains because supplies issues making the toys cost 200$ on ebay, but for the content itself? Not at all.

Nintendo has gone to far with DLC? Sweet which game is this in? I've never heard of the land of Far, is it like a Shrek X Mario mashup?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Smash Bros. I'd say is the only example that comes to mind. I mean why do we have to pay money for costumes and stages considering how we have Splatoon which gives them to us with FREE updates at no extra cost.
New characters, I can get. But, every thING else, really?
That and the amiibo exclusive content in Splatoon is BS.
Other than that, they've done pretty good with their DLC.

Goodnightmoon said:

Most of that lame content that amiibo unlocks exists because amiibo on the first place, so the not existence of amiibo would probably mean the not existence of that content at all, I don´t see how that is better in any sense (except for having less whiny people and less food for the haters),I understand complains because supplies issues making the toys cost 200$ on ebay, but for the content itself? Not at all.

It doesn't matter if they wouldn't exist without Amiibo. They exist now, and it's behind a $13 per content physical paywall. That's riddiculus. Like I said, $200+ for a complete set of cospetic costume DLC in literally any game is absurd. I can't see how you can see "$200 for mii costumes" in a serious sentence and not immediately understand the complaints about the content itself.

spemanig said:
I've been saying this since they announced Mewtwo's DLC price. It's been fucking bullshit that Mario Kart 8 has been the acceptation as opposed to the new standard. And even that was tainted by its Amiibo integration.

So standard pricing is going too far?

I've woken up in bizarro world, it seems.