By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Gone to Far With DLC.

Has Nintendo gone to far with dlc?

Yes 48 21.43%

No 109 48.66%

aniibos are overpriced 31 13.84%

Maybe 20 8.93%

Other 4 1.79%

Nintendo is the new EA! 12 5.36%

Total:224

Poll says no. Next time try some crap like Taken King and you'll get a different result.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

Its 75 including bundles and characters etc. If oyu dont believe me check the eshop.

I know how many are there, but only ~35 of them are actual unique items. Bundles are not themselves DLC, that is a ridiculous thing to count.

spemanig said:

Even if Smash was a fighting game, that wouldn't be relevant. There is no amount of extra understanding needed to see that $60 = 50 char should not ever translate to $4 = 1 char. Just because fighting games have been doing it wrong for a decade doesn't mean that a party brawler following suit today is alright.

There is a budget for the original game that is used to make those characters and a team that is set aside for the bulk of said creation. The manhours/cost per character are factored into said budget and the price given expectations for sales (it is also easier to produce such things at once while development and developers are focused and streamlined for such productions). DLC does not have this, DLC is built by a smaller crew on a tighter budget with much lower sales expectations. Your attempt to apply 60$ = 50 character and extract a price from that, shows nothing short of a lack of understanding of the realities of developing true post-release DLC content, or content in general for a game. Content in the released product is planned based on sales expecations at 60$ and millions of sales, it is budgetted for and expected to be covered by the bulk of sales even if the creation itself of all those characters is actually incredibly costly on a breakdown of the costs of development. Post-content has no "60$ release that will sell millions so here is a huge budget", post-content has to be made on a per-unit budget basis that has to be covered by cost vs. realistic sales expectations for DLC.

The price usually quoted for a fighting game character creation and balance is roughly 500k$ USD, that is no small amount and the standard pricing is ~5$. In this case, the character and model have to actually be made and coded twice for the WiiU and 3DS version.

Your expectations are simply ill-informed and completely unrealistic.

There are bundles and Wii U, 3DS, or both versions. Plus Mii Fighter stuff only costs $0.75

StarOcean said:
Amiibos are the worst. Wouldn't be so bad if you could actually find the amiibos you wanted, but it's just ridiculous at this point

This is exacty what I expected would happen. People are still so annoyed buy how vad Amiibo USED to be that they didn't pay attention to the last wave. There have been a lot of restocks recently (for rarer amiibo), and the last wave (Smash and Mario Maker, the 9/11 one) was very well stocked.

As far as the costumes go in Mario Kart 8.
Those have little to no effect whatsoever on gameplay experience... however, I do agree that it's not cool that I'd have to pay $13 + tax for a figure, so that I can have that costume, along with the actual figure, even if the amiibos themselves look pretty cool and are great collectibles.

I actually think that Capcom is onto something positive with the way they're handling the DLC with Street Fighter V.
You could pay the suggested price and get the content immediately OR put even more hours of play time into the game and unlock them like that.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages:
On one hand, you can get the content immediately once it's released, although you'll have to pay a little extra $$.
On the other hand, you don't have to pay a dime, but it'll take quite some time and dedication before you eventually unlock the content.

It'll ultimately come down to which one the consumer feels is more worth it.

If Nintendo had done the same thing with, say, the Splatoon amiibo content, like (win 'X' number of Turf Wars in a row, to unlock those extra missions) I think it would've been better received among players, scored much higher on Metacritic/Game Rankings, , added replay value, and the Splatoon amiibos wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Personally, I think that's how any gaming company that feels like adding DLC to a game should do it.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

As far as the costumes go in Mario Kart 8.
Those have little to no effect whatsoever on gameplay experience... however, I do agree that it's not cool that I'd have to pay $13 + tax for a figure, so that I can have that costume, along with the actual figure, even if the amiibos themselves look pretty cool and are great collectibles.

I actually think that Capcom is onto something positive with the way they're handling the DLC with Street Fighter V.
You could pay the suggested price and get the content immediately OR put even more hours of play time into the game and unlock them like that.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages:
On one hand, you can get the content immediately once it's released, although you'll have to pay a little extra $$.
On the other hand, you don't have to pay a dime, but it'll take quite some time and dedication before you eventually unlock the content.

It'll ultimately come down to which one the consumer feels is more worth it.

If Nintendo had done the same thing with, say, the Splatoon amiibo content, like (win 'X' number of Turf Wars in a row, to unlock those extra missions) I think it would've been better received among players, scored much higher on Metacritic/Game Rankings, , added replay value, and the Splatoon amiibos wouldn't have been such a big deal.

Personally, I think that's how any gaming company that feels like adding DLC to a game should do it.

Wait wait wait. No.

The extra challenges that Splatoon unlock would definitely not improve the metacritic score at all, a challenge that makes you replay some of the main campaign levles (that you can already replay when you want) but with a different weapon that does not fit with the level design at all (I heard that the roller challenge is downright awfull and the other one looks even worse), is not really something that anybody is really missing on Splatoon, is a pretty lame extra, you can say that there is some gear to unlock there, ok, but there is already +100 pieces of gear on the game so they only get lost in the content of the game. Splatoon would not really improve with that, not in a substantial way at the very least.

jason1637 said:
gatito said:
Some of that Smash DLC is like 20 cents anyway. Mario Kart 8's DLC packs are the best priced this gen. And Amiibo isn't a good example of that since you can just borrow them to unlock the content.

Ya'll tried though.

But you can only save 1 amiibo to one game.

Is there actually a game other than Smash Bros (where you can import you Amiibo Fighters this way, too) out now which supports this feature?

I agree Nintendo could have given them a bit more space, but it doesn't look like you need it yet anyway.

@OP: If Nintendo is the new EA, I don't want to know what the other companies would rank. Sure, Fighters and Stages are a bit pricey in Smash, but we're still miles away from the horse armor. And that's completly ignoring both MK8 and Hyrule Warrior's DLC and season passes (which are still to this day the only season passes I'd recomend to buy) and Splatoons constant stream of free content updates

Yes it would.
That's one of biggest complaints that a lot of people who played and/or reviewed Splatoon has had with it.
I'm not basing it off of the type of content it has, or whether the extras are lame are not, or what type of challenge it is.
I'm basing it off the fact that it's nickel 'n' diming the player for extra money.
It's an anti-consumer practice that doesn't benefit the player in any way, shape, or form.
That's gonna leave a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people, and while the main game itself was so much fun and great that it wasn't hurt by it too much, it still would've done better, had it not existed.
It's not just the extra costumes and different missions, it's some mini games as well.
Why is it that, in order to get all of them, that I have to pay an extra $39 + tax, when it is perfectly capable and possible for that content to be in the game, NOT locked behind a pay wall.
Especially considering how we've got everything else for absolutely free, some content of which was still in development even before the game came out, including the amiibo content.

Bofferbrauer said:
jason1637 said:

But you can only save 1 amiibo to one game.

Is there actually a game other than Smash Bros (where you can import you Amiibo Fighters this way, too) out now which supports this feature?

I agree Nintendo could have given them a bit more space, but it doesn't look like you need it yet anyway.

@OP: If Nintendo is the new EA, I don't want to know what the other companies would rank. Sure, Fighters and Stages are a bit pricey in Smash, but we're still miles away from the horse armor. And that's completly ignoring both MK8 and Hyrule Warrior's DLC and season passes (which are still to this day the only season passes I'd recomend to buy) and Splatoons constant stream of free content updates

I only put that in  the poll for fun to see if people would pick it.

GoldenTriforce said:
StarOcean said:
Amiibos are the worst. Wouldn't be so bad if you could actually find the amiibos you wanted, but it's just ridiculous at this point

This is exacty what I expected would happen. People are still so annoyed buy how vad Amiibo USED to be that they didn't pay attention to the last wave. There have been a lot of restocks recently (for rarer amiibo), and the last wave (Smash and Mario Maker, the 9/11 one) was very well stocked.

It's still bad in my area. Can't get the 9/11 batch amiibos in my area unless you got it the day of its launch. Friend of mine wanted Zero Suit Samus and Mario 30th Anni amiibos that day but worked -after he got off he went to look for them and hasn't been able to get a hold of them since