By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Gone to Far With DLC.

Has Nintendo gone to far with dlc?

Yes 48 21.43%

No 109 48.66%

aniibos are overpriced 31 13.84%

Maybe 20 8.93%

Other 4 1.79%

Nintendo is the new EA! 12 5.36%

Total:224

You have to remember that the Smash DLC is for two different platforms and that each costume has a Wii U AND Wii U/3DS pack listed in the eshop. That cuts the actual amount of DLC in half right there, not to mention the combo packs, of which there are four for the characters (again, both for just Wii U and the combo) and I think six or seven for costumes.

Whether you wanna argue that 35 or so DLC is too much is up to you, but the average price of the DLC, excluding bundles, would be somewhere around a dollar, with the majority being spare change mii costumes. Moreover, fans actually ask for a lot of this crap, it legitimately can add tons to the experience for those who use it. Personally I don't care for any except the K.Rool costume and I bought that as a joke. It could be a lot worse, it could be a Naughty Dog game for example. Love most of their games but my god does Sony milk the shit out of the multiplayer.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Listen, if the game itself can provide me many hours of entertainment, I'm cool with whatever dlc Nintendo offers regardless of price. FE:A clocked me over 50 hours with one save file and AT LEAST 200+ hours of Smash 4. Granted the price of dlc may be pricey, but least they're still giving me the full game. Yes it can be handled better, but in no way is Nintendo going overboard. In fact I bought some of the overpriced dlc because they earned my money for it.

About amiibos, I can see them as a valid argument, but at least they can be used in multiple games depending on the amiibo, and honestly I see them as bragging rights figurines than physical dlc. Most of the amiibo contents are superfluous anyways.

They do it really it really well and they do it pretty terribly at times too.

Amiibos are a different beast to tackle imo though

jason1637 said:

So i was on my wii u and just finished splatoons SP. When i complete a game i look through the eshop to see if i find something interesting to buy. I looked around and checked on the Super Smash Bros for Wii U section and looked at its DLC. I was shocked because i saw that on top of the page it showed that smash 4 for wii u has had 75 dlc items. I htought id share this because i think Nintendo has gone to far with DLC and i can just see this getting worse and worse with the NX. What are your thoughts?

There are actually only ~35 items for DLC in Smash with all but ~10 of them costing considerably less than 1$ USD.

Jajajaja....... not really.... most of them is optional (if not all)

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
They went too far with DLC as soon as they introduced amiibos...

This.

Vena said:

So standard pricing is going too far?

I've woken up in bizarro world, it seems.

Paying $4 for one character in a game with 49 characters is definitely going too far, yes.

spemanig said:

Paying $4 for one character in a game with 49 characters is definitely going too far, yes.

I see that you have no understanding on the creation of fighting game characters, and that the size of the default roster is irrelevant to such realities.

Vena said:
jason1637 said:

So i was on my wii u and just finished splatoons SP. When i complete a game i look through the eshop to see if i find something interesting to buy. I looked around and checked on the Super Smash Bros for Wii U section and looked at its DLC. I was shocked because i saw that on top of the page it showed that smash 4 for wii u has had 75 dlc items. I htought id share this because i think Nintendo has gone to far with DLC and i can just see this getting worse and worse with the NX. What are your thoughts?

There are actually only ~35 items for DLC in Smash with all but ~10 of them costing considerably less than 1$ USD.

Its 75 including bundles and characters etc. If oyu dont believe me check the eshop.

Vena said:

I see that you have no understanding on the creation of fighting game characters, and that the size of the default roster is irrelevant to such realities.

Even if Smash was a fighting game, that wouldn't be relevant. There is no amount of extra understanding needed to see that $60 = 50 char should not ever translate to $4 = 1 char. Just because fighting games have been doing it wrong for a decade doesn't mean that a party brawler following suit today is alright.