By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo Gone to Far With DLC.

Has Nintendo gone to far with dlc?

Yes 48 21.43%

No 109 48.66%

aniibos are overpriced 31 13.84%

Maybe 20 8.93%

Other 4 1.79%

Nintendo is the new EA! 12 5.36%

Total:224

I've been saying this since they announced Mewtwo's DLC price. It's been fucking bullshit that Mario Kart 8 has been the acceptation as opposed to the new standard. And even that was tainted by its Amiibo integration.

Around the Network

It really depends on the team making the title.

For instance, take a look at Intelligent Systems.

Fire Emblem Awakening has DLC that simply isn't worth entry cost due to how expensive they are.
Code Name: STEAM has four characters locked behind amiibo.
Fire Emblem Fates is split into three games (for good reason, actually), but still has Awakening-tier DLC and multiple characters locked behind amiibo.

Yeah, that should tell a lot.

On the other hand, we can take a look at the two divisions that produce Mario platformers.
New Super Mario Bros. U has a massive expansion pack that can actually count as an all-new Mario game and is now bundled with the game itself in certain territories.
3D World has no DLC whatsoever.
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker has amiibo-locked content which is locked behind an exceedingly cute amiibo, and really doesn't do much. To top that, it was developed after the game released.
Super Mario Maker has amiibo-locked content which you can unlock in-game.

Yeah, it depends on the team.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Amiibos give nothing special in any game so they are ok. Smash 4 dlc is dumb

Ka-pi96 said:
They went too far with DLC as soon as they introduced amiibos...

Which was not-so-coincidentally alongside Smash.

Goodnightmoon said:

I still find the complains about amiibo really absurd, there is not a single game where they unlock anything significant at all outside Mario Party X and even there is completely lame, I dont buy amiibo and I didn´t feel the need to buy any amiibo for any particular feature at all in all this time, yet I only see people complaining because aparently is fundamental that you are able to dress your mii like Kirby in MK8 .

It's bullshit that someone uninterested in plastic toy collecting has to drop over $200 to have the full mii wardrobe in Mario Kart 8. If you can't see the problem with that, you're literally blind.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I still find the complains about amiibo really absurd, there is not a single game where they unlock anything significant at all outside Mario Party X and even there is completely lame, I dont buy amiibo and I didn´t feel the need to buy any amiibo for any particular feature at all in all this time, yet I only see people complaining because aparently is fundamental that you are able to dress your mii like Kirby in MK8 .

It's bullshit that someone uninterested in plastic toy collecting has to drop over $200 to have the full mii wardrobe in Mario Kart 8. If you can't see the problem with that, you're literally blind.

Literally?

JRPGfan said:
As long as nintendo dont start makeing Mobile Phone games, pay2win style.
(need extra life to beat that mario level? that ll be 0.1$ )

Eh, they are starting that adventure with the "free-to-start" model, similar to Fatal Frame on Wii U... So, I would not let out the possibility of pay2win in the future...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

For a while now, yes.

Darwinianevolution said:
I just want them to cu the price of the AwakeningDLC. It's almost as expensive as the game itself, and the game is two years old.

true. and i still bought it since I'm addicted to FE:A few weeks back.  now playing SMT IV but chilling out a bit, and playing LR and P4 on the PS3.  playing some SMM to unlock some characters.

The worst DLC from Nintendo would really be Smash Bros, the pricing is a bit high compared to others.  Atleast in Amiibo you have a physical nintendo character to display but a bit pricey for those rare ones.

Nah. The only thing I wish is that they could find a way to make an .... E-miibo. I buy it on the eshop, and it has all the functionality of a real amiibo. Each game that has amiibo functionality when it says 'press your amiibo to the nfc sensor' lets me pick my e-miibo, the game recognizes it and I keep playing.

Sell each E-miibo for $9.99 or a pack for a discount and I'll be there.