By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge: The 100 Greatest Video Games

DerNebel said:
bigtakilla said:
Carl2291 said:
Dont see the problems with having Minecraft so high up the list. It excels in its genre, spawned a thousand clones and continues to chart; Minecraft is arguably one of the 5 generation defining videogames of its time (the others being Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Call of Duty 4 and World of Warcraft).

Cool list. Lots of big names left out, but thats always the case with these lists.

No Baldur's Gate 2, Valkyria Chronicles or Suikoden 2 is my own personal gripe.

So did the original Super Mario Bros. Why isn't it #1 then? It's about the greatest video games, and despite popularity Minecraft is not one of the greatest games.

Explain what's not great about it then? I personally believe Minecraft is one of the, if not the best game for kids to ever exist.

You don't make #10 on the greatest video game list by being better than not great, lol.

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
outlawauron said:

You could say this about almost every game at the top of most of these lists. 

Then explain what Minecraft does so well that it deserves to be top of the list. I can argue several reasons (story, soundtrack, controls, ect) why other games deserve to be on the list.

I don't like Minecraft nor do I believe it should be on the any critical acclaimed list, I'm just saying your complaints can easily be applied to more typical inclusions. It's more obvious as older games have plenty of problems that stem from limitations of that age and technology.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

bigtakilla said:
DerNebel said:

Explain what's not great about it then? I personally believe Minecraft is one of the, if not the best game for kids to ever exist.

You don't make #10 on the greatest video game list by being better than not great, lol.

That's what I'm saying, the game isn't just better than "not great". It's a ridiculously brilliant game for kids and creative people in general.

I can't think of any other game that gives you as many possibilities to just make what you desire as this does, while with the whole Redstone stuff also teaching you a whole bunch of logical thinking skills. Take all the historical importance of Super Mario Bros (the game, whose absence on the list seems to be bothering you the most) away and what are you left with by todays standards? A simplistic jump and run.

Take all the meaning and popularity behind Minecraft away and you still have the same game giving you all these almost limitless possibilities.

It's always worth pointing out that these lists are based on someone's opinion rather than fact/stats/reviews etc. Having said that, this list is comical in places. I don't think a lot of thought went into this other than someone brainstorming some good games and then putting them into a loosely ranked order.

Shouldn't be taken too seriously. The very fact that Dark Souls is no.1 and Bloodborne is no.4 show the preferred tastes in gaming of the author(s). It's by no means a 'constructive' list.

XBL: NathObeaN | PSN: NathObeaN | Steam: NathObeaN

outlawauron said:
bigtakilla said:

Then explain what Minecraft does so well that it deserves to be top of the list. I can argue several reasons (story, soundtrack, controls, ect) why other games deserve to be on the list.

I don't like Minecraft nor do I believe it should be on the any critical acclaimed list, I'm just saying your complaints can easily be applied to more typical inclusions. It's more obvious as older games have plenty of problems that stem from limitations of that age and technology.

Yes, but then again those can be argued. Let me use an example with Ocarina Of Time. World class orchestras have put on shows with their music, (Z) lock on targeting revolutionized the way 3D games are played, it was one of the first full 3D open world adventure games ever, It's story is considered timeless and one of the best in gaming.

Only the last  can be argued, but still it is widely considered true.

Minecraft has...... Popularity... Clones.... As I said, but so does Flappy Birds, and toaster simulator.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
bigtakilla said:
DerNebel said:

That's what I'm saying, the game isn't just better than "not great". It's a ridiculously brilliant game for kids and creative people in general.

I can't think of any other game that gives you as many possibilities to just make what you desire as this does, while with the whole Redstone stuff also teaching you a whole bunch of logical thinking skills. Take all the historical importance of Super Mario Bros (the game, whose absence on the list seems to be bothering you the most) away and what are you left with by todays standards? A simplistic jump and run.

Take all the meaning and popularity behind Minecraft away and you still have the same game giving you all these almost limitless possibilities.

Yeah, because it's soundtrack isn't world renown. ;)

bigtakilla said:

So did the original Super Mario Bros. Why isn't it #1 then? It's about the greatest video games, and despite popularity Minecraft is not one of the greatest games.

Because this list was made by Edge, and not random forum goer #1234.

Different people like different games. Whats so wrong with that? One mans rubbish is another mans Gold. Why should they include SMB when they include Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Galaxy 2... All of which are arguably leagues beyond the original SMB by todays standards.

Think of this as a "Top 100 Games of Today" rather than "Top 100 Games of all Time". Super Mario Bros. simply doesnt stand up to more recent entries, just like no other Minecraft clone currently stands up to Minecraft.

bigtakilla said:

Minecraft has...... Popularity... Clones.... As I said, but so does Flappy Birds, and toaster simulator.

Minecraft has one big advantage over those games. It didnt die out within a few Weeks; its still going as strong as ever 4 Years after it initially released.

Carl2291 said:
bigtakilla said:

Because this list was made by Edge, and not random forum goer #1234.

Different people like different games. Whats so wrong with that? One mans rubbish is another mans Gold. Why should they include SMB when they include Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Galaxy 2... All of which are arguably leagues beyond the original SMB by todays standards.

Think of this as a "Top 100 Games of Today" rather than "Top 100 Games of all Time". Super Mario Bros. simply doesnt stand up to more recent entries, just like no other Minecraft clone currently stands up to Minecraft.

bigtakilla said:

Minecraft has one big advantage over those games. It didnt die out within a few Weeks; its still going as strong as ever 4 Years after it innitially released.

Oh, so MORE popularity.

bigtakilla said:

Oh, so MORE popularity.

Way to ignore the rest of my post.

You are yet to say what is so bad about Minecraft. Please tell us.

Stopped reading at Driveclub.

Did a quick Ctrl F for Splinter Cell , Gears, Hitman , Knights of The Old Republic, Deus Ex.... no hope.

Hands down one of the worst lists I have seen in a very long time.