By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 15 minutes gameplay from Rise of the Tomb Raider

Faelco said:
walsufnir said:

Of course they do :) I like what I've seen so far! TR 2013 was a wonderful game and this looks like it's going to be even better. Comments would most likely be different if it wasn't a timed exclusive.

Not really, no... I was bored while playing the TR reboot and found it pretty bad, and it wasn't a timed exclusive, was it? 

Timed exclusive or not... A glitch is a glitch (and the guy disappearing is a huge glitch in a non open world game...), a non-existent "stealth" is still non-existent, strangling someone while being shot at is ridiculous, and then run to the other guy to kill him with one hit is even more ridiculous. The AI is as bad as ever. I talked about the "bow" (I'm nice to call it like that) in another thread. That video could be a DLC of the first one and nobody would see an issue about that, it's the same recipe that bored last time after 2 hours of exactly the same sequences, same gunfights, same climbing, etc... Like I said months ago, it was a 2 hours game copied and pasted to turn it into a 10 hours game. It seems to be the same thing here. 

Not really, no... I was bored while playing the TR reboot and found it pretty bad, and it wasn't a timed exclusive, was it?

- no but do I care if you were bored? Do you care that I was excited and had fun with it?

A glitch is a glitch (and the guy disappearing is a huge glitch in a non open world game...)

- yep, glitches happen in game, happened and always will happen. TR is no exception.

non-existent "stealth" is still non-existent

- what exactly is non-existant? They are giving people options to play through different parts of the game. This is not a new Splinter Cell.

strangling someone while being shot at is ridiculous, and then run to the other guy to kill him with one hit is even more ridiculous.

- serious question: are you new to video games? I mean, what kind of realism do you expect? Did you ever watch movies and complained how unrealistic they are?

The AI is as bad as ever.

- yes, it's a game. You don't play chess in Tomb Raider.

Like I said months ago, it was a 2 hours game copied and pasted to turn it into a 10 hours game. It seems to be the same thing here.

- well, guess what? It's fine to not like a game. But the criticism many have against this game is so much present on so many titles and I don't see people arguing over that.

But still: you don't like it? Good. Don't buy it. But there are many people who actually liked the first one, including critics. I could easily find criticism for almost every game out there, be it dumb ai, unrealistic crap, bad design decisions, bad art style, glitches... It seems just so present especially with Tomb Raider.

Around the Network
Faelco said:
walsufnir said:

Of course they do :) I like what I've seen so far! TR 2013 was a wonderful game and this looks like it's going to be even better. Comments would most likely be different if it wasn't a timed exclusive.

Timed exclusive or not... A glitch is a glitch (and the guy disappearing is a huge glitch in a non open world game...), a non-existent "stealth" is still non-existent, strangling someone while being shot at is ridiculous, and then run to the other guy to kill him with one hit is even more ridiculous. The AI is as bad as ever. I talked about the "bow" (I'm nice to call it like that) in another thread. That video could be a DLC of the first one and nobody would see an issue about that, it's the same recipe that bored last time after 2 hours of exactly the same sequences, same gunfights, same climbing, etc... Like I said months ago, it was a 2 hours game copied and pasted to turn it into a 10 hours game. It seems to be the same thing here. 

This. Tomb Raider 2013 is, in my opinion, vastly overrated. And this one will be too I'm afraid. 

I would like to add that for a game of this caliber the animations are pretty bad and disjoined, Lara often looks like a puppet. And there is no physics at all! The world doesn't seem alive, everything is static.

Before I watch this, can someone explain the like/dislike ration on the video? What's the reason for that?

DerNebel said:
Before I watch this, can someone explain the like/dislike ration on the video? What's the reason for that?

"Rise of the tomb raider new 15 minutes gameplay (PC & PS4 Q4 2016)"

From the youtube-link in OP.

AI is still ridiculously bad. Even though I still enjoy Tomb Raider from 2013, I still don't understand why they've made the franchise into something it's not. Why not come up with a new setting and protagonist instead, it's not TR fans of old will run to the store to buy an Uncharted clone just because it features Lara Croft.
The games are okay but the franchise has been warped and essentially become useless in light of the past titles and their focus; I spent perhaps 2% of my time in actual tombs in the last game, it's kind of like naming the Indiana Jones franchise "University Professor Simulator".

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
AI is still ridiculously bad. Even though I still enjoy Tomb Raider from 2013, I still don't understand why they've made the franchise into something it's not. Why not come up with a new setting and protagonist instead, it's not TR fans of old will run to the store to buy an Uncharted clone just because it features Lara Croft.
The games are okay but the franchise has been warped and essentially become useless in light of the past titles and their focus; I spent perhaps 2% of my time in actual tombs in the last game, it's kind of like naming the Indiana Jones franchise "University Professor Simulator".

They already said it would be more tombs.

Perhaps this is better:

View on YouTube

walsufnir said:

- no but do I care if you were bored? Do you care that I was excited and had fun with it?

A glitch is a glitch (and the guy disappearing is a huge glitch in a non open world game...)

- yep, glitches happen in game, happened and always will happen. TR is no exception.

- what exactly is non-existant? They are giving people options to play through different parts of the game. This is not a new Splinter Cell.

strangling someone while being shot at is ridiculous, and then run to the other guy to kill him with one hit is even more ridiculous.

- serious question: are you new to video games? I mean, what kind of realism do you expect? Did you ever watch movies and complained how unrealistic they are?

Like I said months ago, it was a 2 hours game copied and pasted to turn it into a 10 hours game. It seems to be the same thing here.

- well, guess what? It's fine to not like a game. But the criticism many have against this game is so much present on so many titles and I don't see people arguing over that.

But still: you don't like it? Good. Don't buy it. But there are many people who actually liked the first one, including critics. I could easily find criticism for almost every game out there, be it dumb ai, unrealistic crap, bad design decisions, bad art style, glitches... It seems just so present especially with Tomb Raider.

You have the right to like it, of course! 

But don't say "comments would most likely be different if it wasn't a timed exclusive", before admitting that all the flaws I listed are right (they also exist in other games, and so what, is it a good thing ?) and then saying "You don't like it? Fine, don't buy it". It just proves that I criticize this game for good reasons (even if you can still like it that way, I agree), and that the "LOL these guys are complaining only because it's abtimed exclusive" argument is completely missing the point. 

Faelco said:
walsufnir said:

You have the right to like it, of course! 

But don't say "comments would most likely be different if it wasn't a timed exclusive", before admitting that all the flaws I listed are right (they also exist in other games, and so what, is it a good thing ?) and then saying "You don't like it? Fine, don't buy it". It just proves that I criticize this game for good reasons (even if you can still like it that way, I agree), and that the "LOL these guys are complaining only because it's abtimed exclusive" argument is completely missing the point. 

It should be obvious that I didn't mean you explicitly.

walsufnir said:
DerNebel said:

Ah I thought it was that the guy obviously played on easy and because the game still lacks some serious polish (did that one guy she talks to just not have a face?)

DerNebel said:
walsufnir said:
DerNebel said:

Ah I thought it was that the guy obviously played on easy and because the game still lacks some serious polish (did that one guy she talks to just not have a face?)

I haven't seen many videos from games which usually have a huge potential for fanboy wars where the actual content (although in this case captured via a potato) was the reason for likes and/or dislikes.