By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Destiny: The Taken King Leaves Players Who Didn't Upgrade Behind

ganoncrotch said:
XanderXT said:

shouldn't expect to play Destiny online forever with Bungie paying for the servers. If the expansion was bad, yeah, I would be angry. But here, you have to pay for a way better version of the game, so it doesn't bother me that much... 

Well ok, but not all MMOs need subscription fees.

Ah I seen what you meant with googling that term btw, but yeah Like Faelco said all MMO's need to sustain servers for pretty large populations of people and that needs to be paid with in some way.

I do think the issue people are having with the Taken King is that it could be a lot of fps fans first dip into this sort of payment world, but I mean it should still work out better than buying a new yearly version of CoD or Battlefield and it's still in the same game world they know from year 1 play. WoW has been doing that for 10+ years now and still rake in some decent cash.

Oh ok.  I'm not much into the Multiplayer kinds of games, so I don't really know much about them.

Around the Network

DLC that takes away more content if you don't buy it. Never thought I'd see the day.

This isn't some MMO thing, this is a Bungie thing. They did this with Halo as well. In terms of altering online playlists so that you lost the ability to play the mode you wanted unless you bought DLC. Otherwise you were lumped into a multiple mode playlist where you could/would constantly get stuck with shit you didn't want to play.

Does it make sense from a business perspective? Yes.
Is it still a very shitty thing to do to your paying fanbase? Yes.
Do other FPS creators find ways to entice you to buy their DLC without fucking up your game? Yes.

Of course, probably the main issue is the update messes up the way you can play through the games main quest line and obtain loot. So people can play level 20 versions of the missions but it will be a cakewalk for them. Surprised to see people defending this, especially a couple of users who have extremely negative views of DLC. Yet are fine with their DLC that screws over people who don't buy the DLC, lol.

Well damn.

I can't believe there are people in this thread defending this. This is absolutely unacceptable. Thinking or saying otherwise is foolish.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:

Ah I seen what you meant with googling that term btw, but yeah Like Faelco said all MMO's need to sustain servers for pretty large populations of people and that needs to be paid with in some way.

I do think the issue people are having with the Taken King is that it could be a lot of fps fans first dip into this sort of payment world, but I mean it should still work out better than buying a new yearly version of CoD or Battlefield and it's still in the same game world they know from year 1 play. WoW has been doing that for 10+ years now and still rake in some decent cash.

I disagree, this is very different. I played MMORPGs all my live and never lost content after a new expansion.

Yes, in WoW you don't get to go to Pandaria if you do not buy MoP, but i could still kick Illidan/Arthas ass anytime. I could not enjoy new PvP modes (actually in sme instances you could), but i could keep playing my old Battlegrounds normally.

I played dozens of MMOs and don't think i ever lost anything i already could do or have during a expansion/DLC.

Locking the NEW content is business as usual, locking OLD content is just f**** up.

Burek said:
People are just being petty and unreasonable. I don't see many claiming illegal actions when annual sports titles shut down servers and lock out old players who do not upgrade to a newer version.
You paid $60 a year ago, I say you had plenty of fun with it. And you still can have plenty of fun, but not as much as people willing to pay extra for expansions.
More money -> more music!

Also, a lot of people complained that Destiny is boring and repetitive, and now they are complaining that they cannot continue that boredom and repeat the same strike over and over again.

That's gaming today, it just seems that many never enjoy games but only seek reasons to complain. May I suggest a switch of hobbies - knitting is also a lot of fun, lasts for a long time, no DLC and the content is never blocked off by the yarn producing companies.

Maybe youre confusing whiny forum dwellers with all gamers? The internet has always been a cesspool for nitpicking.

However, I agree with people getting upset at Bungie. There was a perception Destiny was going add a lot of content for free given the original release felt pretty slim. But instead they keep coming back looking for more money and even taking away content for those not upgrading.

Part of Destiny's legacy will be this game was a cash grab. And people thinking about buying Destiny 2 should wait a year.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

If I get this straight. It's one thing to not allow the new stuff accessible. That's normal. You didn't buy the DLC. But updating existing stuff and blocking it's use, is stupid. That stuff should be in a normal patch and function for the base game. It be like fixing the nathan drake model from single player, in a DLC pack. And then disabling it for everyone who doesn't own the DLC. You fixed the stock model. Not made a new one.

This is like saying someone who doesn't buy WoW expansions get left behind. Well no shit.  I can see a point in the taking out of some features but that is about it.  If it really upsets you then don't buy Destiny 2.

Shadow1980 said:
Um, isn't this par for course for MMOs?

Not at all.  Par for the course is not unlocking access to the new areas included with the expansion.  What Destiny is doing is changing the goalpost for getting into specific content and thus locking them behind the expansion.

Last week you needed to be level 28 (been a while, might have been higher) to do the Nightfall strike.  You can hit 28 in vanilla Destiny.

Today, Nightfall strikes are now level 40.  You can only get to level 40 if you have the expansion.

If you don't buy the expansion, you can no longer access the content you could access last week.