By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Destiny: The Taken King Leaves Players Who Didn't Upgrade Behind

ethomaz said:
Neodegenerate said:

Far from fine when it is content that I was able to access without it the day before.  The expansion has actually devalued the original.  No game that I know of, ever, has done this.

The end of the game content is locked until you buy The Taken King.

Why? They increased the end of game content level that can only be reached if you have The Taken King.
Why? The end of game content needs to be at the highest level.

But the maps and pvp modes I played last week? They unlocked it for only one week to you have a taste of The Taken King.

So which content you don't have access? Tell me... what modes or events you can't play anymore?

Having different ways to play the limited content available is content in a game like this. Hence, less ways to play is less content.

They've given us less options than just days before to force us into upgrading. If you can't see why that's gross... well I don't know what to tell you.

My favorite things about Destiny was doing dailies and playing some Control PVP. I'm pretty much locked out of that until I upgrade.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Well that is nasty, shows how greedy they've become and deserve all the hate they're getting.

Mr Puggsly said:

Having different ways to play the limited content available is content in a game like this. Hence, less ways to play is less content.

They've given us less options than just days before to force us into upgrading. If you can't see why that's gross... well I don't know what to tell you.

My favorite things about Destiny was doing dailies and playing some Control PVP. I'm pretty much locked out of that until I upgrade.

The daily is locked because they choose a locked one... I don't know how the list is defined (random?) but I guess when an year 1 dailly be choose you will can play it with select low difficult.

The Control existis yet but seems like it is random now with Clash in the 6x6 mode... maybe they separete them soon.

I think all these critics can be reported in the Bungie.net site... they did pretty good util now with the players feedback.

ganoncrotch said:
XanderXT said:
Burek said:
People are just being petty and unreasonable. I don't see many claiming illegal actions when annual sports titles shut down servers and lock out old players who do not upgrade to a newer version.
You paid $60 a year ago, I say you had plenty of fun with it. And you still can have plenty of fun, but not as much as people willing to pay extra for expansions.
More money -> more music!

Also, a lot of people complained that Destiny is boring and repetitive, and now they are complaining that they cannot continue that boredom and repeat the same strike over and over again.

That's gaming today, it just seems that many never enjoy games but only seek reasons to complain. May I suggest a switch of hobbies - knitting is also a lot of fun, lasts for a long time, no DLC and the content is never blocked off by the yarn producing companies.

But look at other MMOs. They don't lock people out if they don't buy the expansions packs.

They do tho?

I mean if you buy world of warcraft now you're going to never get to really play with the main games players in any content unless you shell out for the expansions. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here or maybe this is just Destiny bringing a lot of fps players into a world with expansions, but that sort of thing is the norm, you don't buy the expansion - you don't get to play with the people who did.

it isn't being locked out of the new content that bothers me,.. it is being locked out of the old content.  no more weekly stikes, no more nightfalls, no more eries bounties, no more stike playlists, a fraction of the pvp modes.  destiny isn't a game i bought for $85,.. it is a games i borrowed from destiny for a year at $85.  

ethomaz said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The daily is locked because they choose a locked one... I don't know how the list is defined (random?) but I guess when an year 1 dailly be choose you will can play it with select low difficult.

The Control existis yet but seems like it is random now with Clash in the 6x6 mode... maybe they separete them soon.

I think all these critics can be reported in the Bungie.net site... they did pretty good util now with the players feedback.

Well coincidently the dailies seem to be only for Taken King users. There should be dailies for people with and without Taken King. Crucible took away our ability to go directly into the modes we enjoy. Even my Season Pass content has lost value.

Why bother defending? Bungie is flat out screwing users for not upgrading to Taken King.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
ganoncrotch said:

They do tho?

I mean if you buy world of warcraft now you're going to never get to really play with the main games players in any content unless you shell out for the expansions. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here or maybe this is just Destiny bringing a lot of fps players into a world with expansions, but that sort of thing is the norm, you don't buy the expansion - you don't get to play with the people who did.

it isn't being locked out of the new content that bothers me,.. it is being locked out of the old content.  no more weekly stikes, no more nightfalls, no more eries bounties, no more stike playlists, a fraction of the pvp modes.  destiny isn't a game i bought for $85,.. it is a games i borrowed from destiny for a year at $85.  

While in other mmos say WoW for example it would be possible for you to enter lvl 60 raids or pvp with vanilla version of the game, it simply isn't possible to really gather up 40 other people who haven't gotten any expansions and to go and do vanilla raiding content as it was in the original game, either people will have gotten item drops from beyond the first expansion with far greater stats or are just players who aren't willing to commit an extra 20 euros to play the game and as such are definitely incapable of doing vanila raids.

Not sure if you get what I mean, but the tl:dr of it is that content could be left open, but really it can't be accessed still as it was in the original version of WoW.

How expensive is the taken king even? 20-40euros? for effectively a years worth of new content, is that really so expensive when the next Fifa is coming out which can cost almost double that and wont offer a full year of content?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:

While in other mmos say WoW for example it would be possible for you to enter lvl 60 raids or pvp with vanilla version of the game, it simply isn't possible to really gather up 40 other people who haven't gotten any expansions and to go and do vanilla raiding content as it was in the original game, either people will have gotten item drops from beyond the first expansion with far greater stats or are just players who aren't willing to commit an extra 20 euros to play the game and as such are definitely incapable of doing vanila raids.

Not sure if you get what I mean, but the tl:dr of it is that content could be left open, but really it can't be accessed still as it was in the original version of WoW.

How expensive is the taken king even? 20-40euros? for effectively a years worth of new content, is that really so expensive when the next Fifa is coming out which can cost almost double that and wont offer a full year of content?

Sorry, but it is still not the same thing. If i can or can't put 20 people together is my problem, but i can still try it. And while players with expansions are bound to not have interest in old raid gear, you can still get them to do the content at least once, as most of people don't manage to do raids at its level cap.

Not to mention that blizzard actually adds a ton of things that even those who don't buy the expansions can enjoy, like the pokemon rip-off in game. Losing access to content is NOT normal.

Lastly, saying TTK has one year of worth content is pushing it a little don't you think? And would still be no excuse to locking old content behind it. The problem is not if TTK worths its price or not, but if it is ok to take from the $100 content people already had. Content that was never advertised as temporary or subscription based, which is the opposite of WoW or any other MMORPG, that by default let you know your access depends of a monthly fee.

If Bungie want to create a subscription based game it is ok, as long as they warn people BEFORE the game or content is bought.

ganoncrotch said:
kitler53 said:

The size of a raid party in WoW vs the size of a Nightfall Strike (3 people) or daily mission (1 person) makes this argument a little lopsided, though I understand where you are coming from.

What Bungie SHOULD do is make two tiers of daily missions, nightfall strikes, and any other content that got changed after year 1.  This way those who have just the vanilla game can continue playing everything they have played up to this point, and the year 2 players can access everything.

ganoncrotch said:
kitler53 said:

except it isn't even close to a years worth of content.  and in about ~4 months the next destiny dlc will be released and if i don't buy that one my TTK content will be a worthless as my vanilla destiny, the dark below, and house of wolves content.   ~4 months after that the next destiny dlc will be released and if i don't buy that one my vanilla destiny, dark below, house of wolves, TTK, TTK dlc pack1 will all be worthless.  ~4 months after that the next destiny dlc will be released and if i don't buy that my vanilla destiny, dark below, house of wolves, TTK, TTK dlc pack1, TTK dlc pack2 will all be worthless....

kitler53 said:
ganoncrotch said:
kitler53 said:

except it isn't even close to a years worth of content.  and in about ~4 months the next destiny dlc will be released and if i don't buy that one my TTK content will be a worthless as my vanilla destiny, the dark below, and house of wolves content.   ~4 months after that the next destiny dlc will be released and if i don't buy that one my vanilla destiny, dark below, house of wolves, TTK, TTK dlc pack1 will all be worthless.  ~4 months after that the next destiny dlc will be released and if i don't buy that my vanilla destiny, dark below, house of wolves, TTK, TTK dlc pack1, TTK dlc pack2 will all be worthless....

Only one way out of those systems then! Don't buy into them and stick to games like CoD which along with a season pass should give you all the content at least of that numbered game until the next actual full retail release appears.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive