By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Destiny: The Taken King Leaves Players Who Didn't Upgrade Behind

walsufnir said:
Burek said:
People are just being petty and unreasonable. I don't see many claiming illegal actions when annual sports titles shut down servers and lock out old players who do not upgrade to a newer version.
You paid $60 a year ago, I say you had plenty of fun with it. And you still can have plenty of fun, but not as much as people willing to pay extra for expansions.
More money -> more music!

Also, a lot of people complained that Destiny is boring and repetitive, and now they are complaining that they cannot continue that boredom and repeat the same strike over and over again.

That's gaming today, it just seems that many never enjoy games but only seek reasons to complain. May I suggest a switch of hobbies - knitting is also a lot of fun, lasts for a long time, no DLC and the content is never blocked off by the yarn producing companies.

Yes, this is what gaming is today. It gets worse and people say "just deal with it". But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it, right?

Also you didn't buy a 1-year subscription with Destiny, you bought a game which you expected to play also a year later. Customers should expect improvements via patches, not getting a worse game over time.

Spot on and people like me who have busy lives and can't play Destiny religiously. I bought the limited edition for $125AUD then a year later the game comes out again FREE bundled with DLC and expansion for $99 AUD.  Why not also release a cheaper version which is just the DLC and expansion on a disc for $40-$50 AUD?  

The fact that they bundled the game in for free and not given a cheaper option for the extra content only has basiclaly made my original purchase of $125 worth $0. I can't even sell it because people will see that my version is obscolete. If there was an expansion disc only, then I could maybe sell that game for $30-$40 and they could buy the expansion for $40-50 and save $20-$30.

Around the Network
Burek said:
People are just being petty and unreasonable. I don't see many claiming illegal actions when annual sports titles shut down servers and lock out old players who do not upgrade to a newer version.
You paid $60 a year ago, I say you had plenty of fun with it. And you still can have plenty of fun, but not as much as people willing to pay extra for expansions.

Also, a lot of people complained that Destiny is boring and repetitive, and now they are complaining that they cannot continue that boredom and repeat the same strike over and over again.

That's gaming today, it just seems that many never enjoy games but only seek reasons to complain. May I suggest a switch of hobbies - knitting is also a lot of fun, lasts for a long time, no DLC and the content is never blocked off by the yarn producing companies.

I find this post funny from somone who openly supports piracy. 

Happy to pay for the same game again a year later with addons (instead of just for the addons is what should have been released), but won't pay for stuff I can download for free from the internet. 

ganoncrotch said:
XanderXT said:
Burek said:

But look at other MMOs. They don't lock people out if they don't buy the expansions packs.

They do tho?

I mean if you buy world of warcraft now you're going to never get to really play with the main games players in any content unless you shell out for the expansions. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here or maybe this is just Destiny bringing a lot of fps players into a world with expansions, but that sort of thing is the norm, you don't buy the expansion - you don't get to play with the people who did.

Well for games like World of Warcraft, they usually have stuff like updated models so you can't play because the base games now need those models. But look atthis. You can still play the base game, but most of it is locked.

XanderXT said:
ganoncrotch said:
XanderXT said:
Burek said:

But look at other MMOs. They don't lock people out if they don't buy the expansions packs.

They do tho?

I mean if you buy world of warcraft now you're going to never get to really play with the main games players in any content unless you shell out for the expansions. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here or maybe this is just Destiny bringing a lot of fps players into a world with expansions, but that sort of thing is the norm, you don't buy the expansion - you don't get to play with the people who did.

Well for games like World of Warcraft, they usually have stuff like updated models so you can't play because the base games now need those models. But look atthis. You can still play the base game, but most of it is locked.

Errr no, warcraft did update the models it uses for older characters, but if you buy original WoW you can pick a human character and it will have the new updated model, also when you're running around in game you will see people who have the panda models and all the other expansions characters since everyone uses the same game files to play the game... also they are just there as a tease to get people to buy expansions so they can also choose those new characters and ofc to join their friends in raiding content at the new max lvl.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Cobretti2 said:
Burek said:

I find this post funny from somone who openly supports piracy. 

Happy to pay for the same game again a year later with addons (instead of just for the addons is what should have been released), but won't pay for stuff I can download for free from the internet. 

Well, I'm not paying the same game again, because I am paying for the first time. Last year I played it for free due to Sony leaving a lot of loopholes to exploit. Sadly, with update 2.50 those were patched and now we have to pay for games.

I still get around other loopholes, I paid $60 for the entire Destiny package, once I get bored with it I'll probably sell it for $30-40 and move on.

And, true, I will never pay for stuff that I can get for free elsewhere, but that's not the topic of discussion.

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
Burek said:

Other MMOs make you pay a subscription fee or objects in game (and I've never seen such object in Destiny yet). You shouldn't expect to play Destiny online forever with Bungie paying for the servers. If the expansion was bad, yeah, I would be angry. But here, you have to pay for a way better version of the game, so it doesn't bother me that much... 

ganoncrotch said:
XanderXT said:
ganoncrotch said:
XanderXT said:
Burek said:

They do tho?

Errr no, warcraft did update the models it uses for older characters, but if you buy original WoW you can pick a human character and it will have the new updated model, also when you're running around in game you will see people who have the panda models and all the other expansions characters since everyone uses the same game files to play the game... also they are just there as a tease to get people to buy expansions so they can also choose those new characters and ofc to join their friends in raiding content at the new max lvl.

Hey, I didn't know that. I just googled "Do you need expansions for World of Warcraft'. Well not exactly that.

Faelco said:
XanderXT said:
Burek said:

Other MMOs make you pay a subscription fee or objects in game (and I've never seen such object in Destiny yet). You shouldn't expect to play Destiny online forever with Bungie paying for the servers. If the expansion was bad, yeah, I would be angry. But here, you have to pay for a way better version of the game, so it doesn't bother me that much... 

Well ok, but not all MMOs need subscription fees.

XanderXT said:
Faelco said:
XanderXT said:
Burek said:

As I said, if you don't have to pay a subscription fee in a MMO, then you have an in-game shop to buy objects (and sometime even P2W gear). I didn't see a shop like that in Destiny. Destiny doesn't require a monthly fee. Therefore, you have to pay for the servers in another way... 

XanderXT said:

shouldn't expect to play Destiny online forever with Bungie paying for the servers. If the expansion was bad, yeah, I would be angry. But here, you have to pay for a way better version of the game, so it doesn't bother me that much... 

Ah I seen what you meant with googling that term btw, but yeah Like Faelco said all MMO's need to sustain servers for pretty large populations of people and that needs to be paid with in some way.

I do think the issue people are having with the Taken King is that it could be a lot of fps fans first dip into this sort of payment world, but I mean it should still work out better than buying a new yearly version of CoD or Battlefield and it's still in the same game world they know from year 1 play. WoW has been doing that for 10+ years now and still rake in some decent cash.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive