By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku: Destiny: The Taken King Leaves Players Who Didn't Upgrade Behind

Destiny: The Taken King Leaves Players Who Didn't Upgrade Behind

Are you a Destiny player with no interest in buying The Taken King? You might want to find another game to play.

As it turns out, The Taken King doesn’t just add a ton of excellent new stuff to Bungie’s ambitious MMO-shooter—it also locks out much of the old content both in PVE and PVP. Year-one-only Destiny players can still access all the original story missions and raids, but they can’t do heroic strikes or nightfalls anymore. And because Bungie has totally revamped the way playlist strikes work, players without The Taken King can only run through the relatively useless level-20 Vanguard Legacy playlists—a big departure from the last incarnation of the game, which offered different tiers of playlists that anyone could access.

In the Crucible, while anyone with The Taken King installed can play through all the old modes and then some, year-one players are stuck with three types of PVP playlists: Classic free-for-all, classic 3v3 (Skirmish/Salvage), and classic 6v6 (Clash/Control). If you don’t have The Taken King but only want to play one of those 3v3 or 6v6 modes, your only option is to pick a playlist and bail every time you get the one you don’t want.

Also, as you might expect, Destiny players who haven’t upgraded to Year Two can’t get the new subclasses, shiny gear, and cool quests that ship with The Taken King, which runs for $40. Year-one-only players are also stuck with the old level cap of 34.

On one hand, this feels like a no-duh move: Of course people are going to have to buy all the expansions to keep up with all the stuff that Destiny’s developers tweak and add every few months. And from what we’ve seen so far, The Taken King is well worth the asking price, even if previous DLC has been a bit lacking.

But for Destiny players who aren’t yet sure if they want to upgrade—or can’t afford it yet—it’s something of a slap in the face to see half the old endgame content suddenly disappear. On September 14, anyone with a copy of Destiny could play a variety of crucible modes or take on the nightfall and weekly heroic strikes; as of September 15, they can’t. Quite a few people aren’t pleased about that, and they’ve taken to Reddit, forums, and Kotaku’s email inboxes to get out the message. (One Redditor has put together a good compilation of all the stuff that’s locked out now.)

Bungie’s forums are full of Destiny players complaining about this problem in colorful ways.

“Is this even legal?” writes one player. “Say you buy a couch for 100. After a year the company you bought it from comes to your door and asks you 40 dollars extra for the couch and if you buy it you get a nice pillow. You say you don’t want to pay. They saw your couch in half and take one half with them... That’s how I feel about TTK so far.”

“I didn’t buy the DLC for Elder Scrolls Online yet, and the total content that was taken away, or that I am locked out of as punishment is NOTHING,” writes another player.

Of course, Destiny is very different than other MMOs in a lot of ways, and many of the changes brought with The Taken King are huge, much-needed fixes to problems the game has had since it first launched last September. But Bungie never warned anyone that they’d be locking old players out of so much of the game, which is one of the main reasons so many people are upset about this paywall.

We’re dealing with growing pains, here. And the folks who didn’t upgrade are hurting most of all.

source:

http://kotaku.com/destiny-the-taken-king-leaves-old-players-behind-1731460036

My original thread from yesterday: gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=208161

So much for the FUD accusation and whether it is confirmed.

Around the Network

People are just being petty and unreasonable. I don't see many claiming illegal actions when annual sports titles shut down servers and lock out old players who do not upgrade to a newer version.
You paid $60 a year ago, I say you had plenty of fun with it. And you still can have plenty of fun, but not as much as people willing to pay extra for expansions.
More money -> more music!

Also, a lot of people complained that Destiny is boring and repetitive, and now they are complaining that they cannot continue that boredom and repeat the same strike over and over again.

That's gaming today, it just seems that many never enjoy games but only seek reasons to complain. May I suggest a switch of hobbies - knitting is also a lot of fun, lasts for a long time, no DLC and the content is never blocked off by the yarn producing companies.

Hope BDobbinsFTW makes a vid on this.

Burek said:
Also, a lot of people complained that Destiny is boring and repetitive, and now they are complaining that they cannot continue that boredom and repeat the same strike over and over again.

My guess would be that people who felt that, such as myself, moved on from the game sometime ago and that those that are left are the more hardcore fans who didnt feel the game was repetitive or were willing to stick it out for a variety of reasons. This will probably contribute to their frustration.

Burek said:
People are just being petty and unreasonable. I don't see many claiming illegal actions when annual sports titles shut down servers and lock out old players who do not upgrade to a newer version.
You paid $60 a year ago, I say you had plenty of fun with it. And you still can have plenty of fun, but not as much as people willing to pay extra for expansions.

That's gaming today, it just seems that many never enjoy games but only seek reasons to complain. May I suggest a switch of hobbies - knitting is also a lot of fun, lasts for a long time, no DLC and the content is never blocked off by the yarn producing companies.

But look at other MMOs. They don't lock people out if they don't buy the expansions packs.

Around the Network
Burek said:

Yes, this is what gaming is today. It gets worse and people say "just deal with it". But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it, right?

Also you didn't buy a 1-year subscription with Destiny, you bought a game which you expected to play also a year later. Customers should expect improvements via patches, not getting a worse game over time.

A premium game shouldn't have a premium paywall.

Burek said:

Ok then this got me confuse cause my brother been clamming on me to get destiny cause his friends are playing it and he wants to play it. I told him to wait for the taken king cause theres more content now this news really got me confused cause i dont know all the modes and gear which are locked/unlocked revamp or whatever. Now there are two versions of a game and i dont know which to get. A pro con of the two version would be useful for me.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

walsufnir said:

Yes, this is what gaming is today. It gets worse and people say "just deal with it". But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it, right?

Also you didn't buy a 1-year subscription with Destiny, you bought a game which you expected to play also a year later. Customers should expect improvements via patches, not getting a worse game over time.

You should deal with it: don't buy TTK and sell your copy of Destiny. Hopefully you bought physical.

XanderXT said:
Burek said:

But look at other MMOs. They don't lock people out if they don't buy the expansions packs.

They do tho?

I mean if you buy world of warcraft now you're going to never get to really play with the main games players in any content unless you shell out for the expansions. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here or maybe this is just Destiny bringing a lot of fps players into a world with expansions, but that sort of thing is the norm, you don't buy the expansion - you don't get to play with the people who did.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive