By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do these sales numbers surprise you? [Sony Still Dominant?!?]

thats b/c you kow if you do your numbers are shot to hell...thus the cherry picking

moar funny pictures

Around the Network
Hawk said:
blykmik said:

...but you may be setting yourself up for failure. You may have to end up contradicting yourselves. With all the money that Nintendo is making, it may make sense for them to come out with a "HD Wii"... There's no way they'd discontinue the current Wii. So, what do you do at that point? Stop counting Wii sales and put the HD Wii in 3rd place... or all by itself as an uncontested winner?

I posted this thread to see what some of you would say... Honestly, I thought the MS people might be the most offended... (they're the upstart... this is only their second try...They're improving, even if they're behind in getting into your living room). But I don't think a company's past performance in the market can be discounted. Looking at the total sales of the PS1 and PS2 compared to any other consoles are pretty staggering. I have NO IDEA if that type of success is anywhere near possible... I suppose if they continued to sell at this same rate for 9 more years, then yeah. And it does appear that the Wii SHOULD be able to surpass Nintendo's best historical effort.

Discussion is welcome right? I just wanted to put out mu opinions on a couple things you said.

First, your theory an HD Wii may be coming out earlier than the normal generational gap. I don't think there is any reason to think that actually. I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility, but I've never subscribed to the constant arguements several people have said "HD will be the determinant in console purchases here, anytime now,....anytime now....I promise, eventually". Wii has been against two HD consoles the entire time. And plenty of us HD TV owners, still bought a Wii even though we had an HD TV first. I just don't personally think there is a reason to think a new version of Wii will come out very soon, simply because it's the least powerful console.

You are absolutely right that it's pretty staggering to look at the total sales of the PS1 and PS2. They are definitely king in home consoles. I think you are downplaying the Wii though, in saying it SHOULD pass Nintendo best historical efforts. The Wii has sold more at the 16 month mark than ANY console in history has, INCLUDING portable systems. I don't personally know, or have the most faith in it keeping up the sales rate. It would be amazing to keep it up. But....the Wii, very well could outsell both the PS1 and PS2 lifetime sales in it's lifetime.

Though, that doesn't take away from Sony having done amazing with the PS1 and PS2, or from them doing pretty good right now.

Totally welcome... And I tend to agree with you that Nintendo doesn't really need an "HD Wii"... I was merely pointing out that they are cash rich due to their success and would have the ability to do something new (sooner) if they so desired.  And if they do, I don't think that should take away from, or cause people not to continue to count Wii sales.

I can't really imagine a scenario where the Wii doesn't top the NES's 61 million.  But even with it's phenomenal success, that is still a high bar...  Again, I'm pretty certain it will get there.  Will it get to the 100 million of the PS1 or 120 mill of the PS2 or Gameboy?  Quite possibly.

To do that though, it will need longevity.  I'm not sure if Nintendo built that type of longevity into the machine... They sure didn't need to!  It is already a huge success and has been making money for them from day 1.

The Sony products (on the other hand), need that type of longevity.  Because of their different strategy, they NEED the console to last to make up for the losses they have built into it intially.  So far, it seems that both Nintendo's and Sony's strategies seem to work well for them.

If the Wii does surpass the PS1 and PS2 numbers, I think that is huge and it does take away from the PS1/PS2... It knocks them off the block.  But there's LOTS of sales to go before this happens.  

DKII said:
Anyone buying a PS2 now and not intending to buy another console for another 5 years will have no impact on the current market, because in 5 years there will be only one system left selling and the next generation of consoles will be out. They're effectively removing themselves from the console war, so there's no point in really looking at them in terms of how it might affect Wii, PS3, 360. It's like saying oh look the SNES is still selling all those people are gonna get N64's in a few years and it'll make a comeback! Except the N64 had already lost by then so they all got PS1's instead.

So sales five years from now will not count either (be it the Wii, 360, PS3 or PS2)?

Maybe we have a different way of looking at things...

If after 10 years, the Wii has sold 89 million and the PS3 has sold 111 million, then did the PS3 win?  I'm assuming that your answer is, "Not if the Wii has a new console by then".  So your definition seems to allow for winning by quitting while you're ahead.

In this scenario, Microsoft could have called it quits right before the Wii surpassed it, and called it a win for the 360.

I think the issue here is that you may actually be looking to claim a "winner".  When there isn't always a clear winner.  If you look at things in small snap-shots, you may see one thing... If you look at things over time, you may see another thing...

...and if you add in handhelds, you may see yet another. 

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X

^dude you just completely ended you r own argument b/ we could still count snes, nes, gc, 64, sales b/c they are still out there and since you cant just end a gen by releasing a new one they still should count...i wonder what that does to the numbers

moar funny pictures

mesoteto said:
thats b/c you kow if you do your numbers are shot to hell...thus the cherry picking

Ok... then lets add "all electronic devices" sold by the companies into the number.

Why are you "cherry picking" just handhelds and consoles?  

Why don't you include HDTVs, Wireless phones, DVD players, Blu-Ray standalones, Computers and all the other stuff Sony sells?  (This is a sarcastic question... The answer is obvious)

Come with as many funny pictures as you got... It doesn't change the fact that looking specifically at home consoles is not some crazy, outrageous, biased, idea.  

mesoteto said:
^dude you just completely ended you r own argument b/ we could still count snes, nes, gc, 64, sales b/c they are still out there and since you cant just end a gen by releasing a new one they still should count...i wonder what that does to the numbers

lmao! Go ahead and add them in... (That is if you can even figure out the two time frames of sales that were being compared).

I'll stop responding to you now... I feel dumber already.

Around the Network

That's not what I said at all. Wii, 360, PS3 are one grouping, whoever sells the most out of those three wins. PS2 sales count when comparing it against its own generation. You'll notice no one is really harping over the fact that PS2 is outselling 360 and PS3 in the US most months either, and that's cause the PS2 doesn't really affect the current market anymore.

You'd make a better argument comparing PS3+360 sales vs Wii sales, since PS3 and 360 actually share market space and are both relevant to the outcome of this generation.

And to continue what DKII is saying, the reason it doesn't effect the current market anymore is because it's a non-factor in development. Analyzing sales of the 3 current generation consoles can reveal future development patterns, but the PS2 can't sell software and any development for it now is nothing but multi-plats and shovelware.

This topic, though filled with many replies, is an epic fail.

Sony isn't dominating anything. Their next gen system and handheld are both in what I like to call, last place.

Adding their last gen console to their current numbers to make them seem like they are "dominating" something, makes everyone who "sees what ya did thar" laugh out loud, including myself.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

blykmik said:

I will admit I should have added "in the home?"... to the title of my post. I honestly didn't realize how averse people here are to separating consoles and hand-helds. I mean, on the home page of vgchartz they even group them separately. Same with many of your sigs.

People normally wouldn't be, however if you are going to throw in a last generational console people will honestly expect you to throw in everything else still selling. To pick the winner of the last generation (which is clearly going to still sell by historical precedent) and then say 'LOOK, SONY BIG!' is cherry picking.

But all these accusations of cherry picking are pretty comical (and telling to your own bias'). When discussing consoles currently being sold, it would be cherry picking to leave out the unit that often comes in second (ahead of the PS3 and 360). The image of an ostrich with its head in the sand comes to mind. "The PS2 doesn't count anymore"... Really?! How can that be when it outsells the "upgraded" devices that you are comparing?

The PS2 doesn't count any more because it has no effect on the current console war, its from last generation and only still selling for replacements and extreme budget gamers, if the PS2 was still dominating entirely and selling the most software (like say Atari 2600>Atari 5200) then I could see your point, however this is merely following the historical trend of the winning console still selling after the end of the generation.

So, I see what is going on here... You guys want to limit the talk about "Who is doing best with ONLY their MOST RECENT console?"... That's totally fine, and fair. But pardon me for thinking we all knew the answer to that... You can see the home page here or, again, most of your sigs to see who is selling the most. Is that something that even needs discussion?

No, not really. But neither is a claim that Sony is still dominating when we can also quite clearly see that they are not by the PS3 numbers on the homepage.

But I would encourage you all to be a bit more open to accepting what the PS2 has done and continues to do. And perhaps be a bit more alert to Sony's not-so-secret strategy (i.e. 10 year blah, blah, blah) with their PS3. Counting the actual sales of consoles into homes WITHOUT ignoring a big purple elephant is far from irrelevant.

Where did the 10 year strategy come into this? In any case claiming that they will support the console for 10 years and it actually selling for ten years is a different story. Once a console has thoroughly won a generation the other consoles always have difficulty selling.

Sony has TWO players in the home console market right now. The other two companies have one. It is not YOU (an opinionated individual) who determines when a console becomes irrelevant... it is the market. Sure, you can make a website and pretend that one console no longer exists... or that "it already won" so there's no need to look at it. But THAT is cherry picking.

No its not, its looking at the current generation, a consoles success normally becomes irrelevant to the current market once its generation is over. Look at the past - the NES was still selling into this millenium, however it could hardly claim to be competing with the PS1.

What you all are doing is setting yourselves up so you can define "victory" by your own terms. And I'm not sure why it matters so much to many of you. From the responses here, these sales are being taken waaaay too seriously.

It is a sales site.

You want to define the PS2 as already having won, so you can ignore it. You want to define "next gen" as including the Wii against two very different devices (when we know that's arguable to many). And if/when the Wii's lifecycle is over, you want to call it as a win... even if the 360 (or more likely) the PS3 stretches past it in total sales by virtue of it being created with the intention of extending the typical gaming generation cycle.

No, the winner is counted by the end of all their lives. However to claim that the Wii is arguably last generation is bullshit, its arguably built on last generation hardware however it was clearly made and released this generation.

...but you may be setting yourself up for failure. You may have to end up contradicting yourselves. With all the money that Nintendo is making, it may make sense for them to come out with a "HD Wii"... There's no way they'd discontinue the current Wii. So, what do you do at that point? Stop counting Wii sales and put the HD Wii in 3rd place... or all by itself as an uncontested winner?

The difference is that an 'HD Wii' (as opposed to a 'Wii 2') is the same console, in the same way as the PS and the PS1 are counted as the same console yet the PS1 and PS2 are not. Or in the way an XB360:Arcade and a XB360:Elite are the same.

I posted this thread to see what some of you would say... Honestly, I thought the MS people might be the most offended... (they're the upstart... this is only their second try...They're improving, even if they're behind in getting into your living room). But I don't think a company's past performance in the market can be discounted. Looking at the total sales of the PS1 and PS2 compared to any other consoles are pretty staggering. I have NO IDEA if that type of success is anywhere near possible... I suppose if they continued to sell at this same rate for 9 more years, then yeah. And it does appear that the Wii SHOULD be able to surpass Nintendo's best historical effort.

It didn't really save Atari or Nintendo, merely selling well in the past does not imply selling well in the future. There is no chance in hell they will be selling this many in 9 years time when they will be competing with the end of next generation and possibly the start of the one after.

If Sony has really already sold 1/3 of its total consoles for the PS3, then I can tell you without hesitation that it (the PS3) will be considered a colossal failure. I definitely don't think that will be the case. Sony positioned the PS3 as a "long term investment". It may not do what the previous consoles did, but their strategy was conservative enough to assure some degree of success over time.

Conservative? They went out and built a $600 amazing gaming machine, their problem was not being conservative enough.

If you think that what Sony has learned with the PS1 and PS2 is all completely out the window and that it has no bearing on what will happen with the PS3, then I can see why any future success might surprise you. Maybe you'll be a blogger writing about the "comeback kid" because it is a good "story" and you just didn't see it coming. Maybe that will be because you made the decision to ignore how the PS2 continued in the face of newer and more capable consoles. Maybe you will forget how big of an issue pricing is... Maybe the move to HD by consumers will be surprising to you... Maybe you would have never expected that game to be THAT good... I don't know...

Thats a LOT of maybes.

Or maybe you're right... and the PS3 will top out at about 30 mil and Sony will dump it.

Just remember, the past is prologue...

But you can't tell the future from the past.

Well, actually, I certainly think the PS2 counts and is nice for Sony, what I think is bullshit is referring to the "Sony Brand"

It's like if the Wii were selling 1 console a month, and the DS was selling 500,000, and you said "Nintendo is dominating monthly sales" inferring that the Wii wasn't selling like total garbage and the future didn't look grim for the company, because their biggest seller, the DS, was nearing the end of it lifespan.

It's also a little insulting to say, "are you surprised" in your topic, which, imo is like telling me, "Surprise bitch! Everything you throught is wrong. Nintendo isn't winning anything, Sony is dominating just like always and here is a proponderance of bullshit "proof" filled with cherrypicking lies that no one can retort and that I'll defend to the death."

Bullshit, imo, nothing against you(TC) trying to convince us that cherrypicked facts you came up with are true, its trying to convince us to look at them without putting them in their proper context that is a tad insulting.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.