By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do these sales numbers surprise you? [Sony Still Dominant?!?]

Judging by your sig, jjseth, you surely dont like "your xbox360".
Again SDF on full attack.

BTW not counting handhelds as consoles makes no sense, many series are continued on Hanheld consoles, examples: MH2, DQIX. I have owned a GBA and although you say you dont play your PSP unless you tavel, I did use my GBA before going to sleep, during some free time and also while traveling. You do not represent the rest of hanheld consoles owners.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

jjseth -- it was less than two weeks apart. Which is very different from 7 months apart. Sqrl's post breaks it down better.

The PS3 may be a budget console in 5 years. But you could consider the GC and XB budget consoles now, and it isn't helping them any. Most likely only the "winning" system will still be selling by then, and statistically speaking that's most likely going to be the Wii at this point.

trestres said:
Judging by your sig, jjseth, you surely dont like "your xbox360".
Again SDF on full attack.

BTW not counting handhelds as consoles makes no sense, many series are continued on Hanheld consoles, examples: MH2, DQIX. I have owned a GBA and although you say you dont play your PSP unless you tavel, I did use my GBA before going to sleep, during some free time and also while traveling. You do not represent the rest of hanheld consoles owners.

I like my 360, but if I can't poke fun at a console that has RRoD twice on me then what fun was it waiting for more then a month combined without one to play?  I should be able to make fun of things I own that have failed on me miserably.  I fear even turning it on all that often just because it would probably RRoD again.

And do you really think that you represent the majority of handheld video game users?  Answer this, but can you easily play your wii from your bed?  If not, then they are different as the portability of the console weighs heavily in it's use.  Also, many games on handhelds aren't designed for extremely long play periods like a console is.  Sure, there are some that are longer, but in comparison to full fledged games on a console, they are almost like a "partial" game in some aspects.  (And yes, there are some that do take up alot of time and are fairly deep, just not that many).  They are designed primarily so that you can pick it up and play for 5 minutes or a hour, and in the case of being in a car on a trip, longer.  

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

DKII, there is a difference though as both teh GC and Xbox are discontinued. We do not know for certainty that Sony would pull the plug on the PS3 when the next gen console comes like Nintendo and MS did to their last gen consoles.

And with prices dropping and if they continue to drop a similar percentage (looking at the difference between the lowest price consoles at launch, and now, which is 20% of current cost) every year, then you can expect the PS3 to be sub/near $200 in about 3 years. I think when it gets to that range it will be far more affordable to many at that time. Of course, that number can vary drastically if inflation hits the US hard and makes it look like an impossibility to drop that low that quickly.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
DKII, there is a difference though as both teh GC and Xbox are discontinued. We do not know for certainty that Sony would pull the plug on the PS3 when the next gen console comes like Nintendo and MS did to their last gen consoles.

And with prices dropping and if they continue to drop a similar percentage (looking at the difference between the lowest price consoles at launch, and now, which is 20% of current cost) every year, then you can expect the PS3 to be sub/near $200 in about 3 years. I think when it gets to that range it will be far more affordable to many at that time. Of course, that number can vary drastically if inflation hits the US hard and makes it look like an impossibility to drop that low that quickly.

http://ps2.ign.com/index/release.html

As you can see, of 90 games that are announced for the PS2 in 2008 0 are Sony published ...

In other words SONY HAS ABANDONED THE PS2!

Why is it that Sony fans are the only people who can not accept that the leading console has a longer lifespan because Third Party Publishers see value in publishing games after the generation has ended.

Around the Network

You're seeing the effects of insecurity hard at work, HappySquirrel. There is a driving desire from supporters of Sony (and Nintendo, and Microsoft) to see their favored company trump the other two. And of course, if that means playing the spin doctor, they'll spin like there's no tomorrow. I'd be just as happy to see people support the systems themselves for their own personal reasons, and not take offense when others don't agree with them. It's a lot more civil that way, even if it does lead to very boring debates.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

jjseth said:
trestres said:
This feels like SDF, therefore fails completely.

Actually more like NDF to me.

I read and lurk on the Sony gaming forums quite a bit, specifically in the Socom forums. blykmik is one of the highest respected posters there because he puts alot of thought into his posts, has great ideas and is a positive member to the community.

I haven't posted much on here lately just because of some posters who will fight tooth and nail about how great the Wii is and then laugh at everythign Sony does even if it's a good thing, such as Blu-Ray beating HDDVD. (ie. LOL BD won't win because of digital downloads).

Lately the sniping towards Sony has dropped, but once someone dares to speak about how Nintendo may not be the most dominant gaming company by a long shot a thread quickly becomes filled with anti-sony/Pro-nintendo posts from the Nintendo faithful here.

And there may be a very good reason why PS2 software isn't selling as good as it used to when looking at the charts. Trade-in's and those sold on ebay, etc are not counted into software sales since they initially were released. Many who have bought a PS2 can find a very vast game library to enjoy by buying used and not new. So obviously it's not in the charts since they were sold before.

He's constantly come back and replied respectfully to all who were negative, posting lolcats, sniping at him, and has not fired off any cheap shots at the nintendo fanboys. I see his point of where he is coming from and it perfectly makes sense to me. Many nintendo fans will agree that graphically the Wii is like a souped up PS2 with motion controls, but still not in the same ball park when talking about graphics on the 360 or PS3.
Of course, now I expect those to come back and say how "I'm a Sony Fanboy". Well, I'm not. Yes, I do have a PS3. But I also have a 360. If I were a true sony fanboy, I wouldn't dare be caught owning a game system that is a competitor to Sony. My TV wouldn't be a Hitachi and my DVD player wouldn't be a Toshiba and my receiver wouldn't be an onkyo if I were a "true" sony fanboy.

Besides, should all of you nintendo fanboys be busy playign SSBB and not arguing on the web? I mean is it like the second coming of Jesus to some here, so I don't know why you'd lose out on gaming time just to post in a thread about a guy who brought up some interesting questions and solid data. *Flawed in Nintendo Fanboys eyes because Nintendo no longer has a monster lead in this case*

Now whose playing the victim?

If whoever wouldn't bother to make foolish, Sony fanboy posts with flamebait in the title, daring Wii fans to flame him, then he wouldn't have everyone with half a brain on this website jumping in his posts to say he's wrong.

Here's the thing, no matter how you soapbox against this site and it's "nintendo fanboys" you can't seriously expect that to fool anyone into believe Sony is the dominant force in the gaming industry? You're adding in the PS2. Your telling us that the "Sony family" is winning, are you serious? That's spin, my friend. Sony uses that in every press release they put out. Nobody buys it from them and nobody buys it from you.

Saying that somehow the Sony family matters, and the fact that the PS3 is the worst selling system, somehow doesn't relate to Sony's "dominance" of the gaming industry, is laughable. Your using those numbers out of context, because they are obviously the only ones that anyone in the world could possibly tally to make Sony look like its not one big giant failure from a static point of view("snapshot" is a more difinitive term).

Doesn't that just destory your argument, the fact that you have to look at it out of context and pretend your in a vaccume for them to prove that Sony is "dominating" anything.

If that were true, then I could show you the front page of this website and say "360 is dominating the PS3." If you claim sony "dominates" the industry, then you must admit that the 360 is dominating the PS3, and trends, or obvious and immediate future implications are of no consequence and musn't or shouldn't be considered.

Your trying to piss down our backs and tell us its raining, and then insessantly bitching about why we aren't holding our heads up and catching it in our mouths.

Just because you are smart, and try stand up for your rubbish you cherrypicked, to give it some appearance of validity, doesn't mean that you know what your talking about. Every sentance coming out of the mouths of the people or person who wrote this topic or any defenders of it, is complete spin in Sony's favor, and none except adamant supporters of the Sony brand would dare attach their good names to this garbage.

Epic failure, but we'll keep talking about it, because it takes the sting off, right? 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Wow, this thread just gets increasingly more heated as time passes. I love it.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Fanboys make me sick...nintendo fanboys are the worst..

This topic started as "what do you think about sonys decision of keeping two consoles out? "

and turned out " NINTENDO RULEZZZ, SONY DOOMED"

im dissapointed with the mods here, they shouldnt make their console prefferences known to the people. Their reason here is to place order to the forum not start a war. And its their fault that this topic which had potential turned to the usual shit.

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys