By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do these sales numbers surprise you? [Sony Still Dominant?!?]

I was curious about something... so I just did some quick looking courtesy of vgchartz' Chartz-Hardware Tables...

I would assume most of you here are well aware of these figures, but I would bet that if you asked the average person, they'd have a much different idea of what company is selling the most consoles.  Often, Sony is portrayed as "struggling" in news reports and perhaps that makes for dramatic news, but what about reality?

Here's a look at some numbers of how the big three console makers have compared to eachother starting since the Wii and the PS3 entered the market.  (Consoles only here... hand-helds not included). 

Take a look at this, and tell me what you think:

Worldwide Sales Since Wii/PS3 Launches (data from week ending 11/25/06 through 3/8/08)
PS3 / PS2         -  24,624,543
Wii / Gamecube  -  22,945,559
Xbox 360 / Xbox -  11,970,443

Now, is it somehow not fair to give Sony credit for continuing its success with the PS2 even when they have a new high-end machine available?  None of the other companies have done this. 

Is Sony's strategy of brand loyalty and a long-lifespan of consoles somehow something that should be ignored?  We know that the Wii is a phenomenal seller and it is getting its due credit.  But isn't it legitimate to look at the fact that Sony is targeting buyers by having two viable consoles available?  And by doing this they're actually selling the most total consoles. 

I don't know... I thought this was something to discuss...

And to really drive this point home...  Look at the numbers if you include all sales of consoles since the day that the Xbox 360 was launched (this includes a whole year where the Wii and PS3 weren't even available)

Worldwide Sales Since Wii/PS3 Launches (data from week ending 11/26/05 through 3/8/08)
PS3 / PS2           -  38,251,602
Wii / Gamecube  -  24,750,455
Xbox 360 / Xbox -  19,101,320

This is just data... numbers.  Is this not a fair way to look at gaming console sales? 

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
Around the Network
blykmik said:

I was curious about something... so I just did some quick looking courtesy of vgchartz' Chartz-Hardware Tables...

I would assume most of you here are well aware of these figures, but I would bet that if you asked the average person, they'd have a much different idea of what company is selling the most consoles.  Often, Sony is portrayed as "struggling" in news reports and perhaps that makes for dramatic news, but what about reality?

Here's a look at some numbers of how the big three console makers have compared to eachother starting since the Wii and the PS3 entered the market.  (Consoles only here... hand-helds not included). 

Worldwide Sales Since Wii/PS3 Launches (data from week ending 11/25/06 through 3/8/08)
PS3 / PS2         -  24,624,543
Wii / Gamecube  -  22,945,559
Xbox 360 / Xbox -  11,970,443

Now, is it somehow not fair to give Sony credit for continuing its success with the PS2 even when they have a new high-end machine available?  None of the other companies have done this. 

Is Sony's strategy of brand loyalty and a long-lifespan of consoles somehow something that should be ignored?  We know that the Wii is a phenomenal seller and it is getting its due credit.  But isn't it legitimate to look at the fact that Sony is targeting buyers by having two viable consoles available?  And by doing this they're actually selling the most total consoles. 

And to really drive this point home...  Look at the numbers if you include all sales of consoles since the day that the Xbox 360 was launched (this includes a whole year where the Wii and PS3 weren't even available)

Worldwide Sales Since Wii/PS3 Launches (data from week ending 11/26/05 through 3/8/08)
PS3 / PS2           -  38,251,602
Wii / Gamecube  -  24,750,455
Xbox 360 / Xbox -  19,101,320

This is just data... numbers.  Is this not a fair way to look at gaming console sales? 

To be fair the Gamecube has been discontinued so it's basically the Wii going up against both the PS2 and PS3 in your first set of numbers and almost outselling both of them combined even though the Wii has been experiencing shortages since it was launched. 

If you think Sony is still dominant I guess from a certain point of view it is (not including handhelds) but wouldn't it make sense to include PSP and DS sales as well since you're already looking at more than one system from each manufacturer?

No, it's not really a fair comparison because nintendo doesn't produce gamecubes anymore, and microsoft doesn't produce xboxes.

Given the fact that PS2's make up well over half of those Sony numbers, and they cost around 100$ I'd call this cherry picking for Sony.

blykmik said:

I would assume most of you here are well aware of these figures, but I would bet that if you asked the average person, they'd have a much different idea of what company is selling the most consoles. Often, Sony is portrayed as "struggling" in news reports and perhaps that makes for dramatic news, but what about reality?

Here's a look at some numbers of how the big three console makers have compared to eachother starting since the Wii and the PS3 entered the market. (Consoles only here... hand-helds not included).

PS3 / PS2 - 24,624,543
Wii / Gamecube - 22,945,559
Xbox 360 / Xbox - 11,970,443

Now, is it somehow not fair to give Sony credit for continuing its success with the PS2 even when they have a new high-end machine available? None of the other companies have done this.

Is Sony's strategy of brand loyalty and a long-lifespan of consoles somehow something that should be ignored? We know that the Wii is a phenomenal seller and it is getting its due credit. But isn't it legitimate to look at the fact that Sony is targeting buyers by having two viable consoles available? And by doing this they're actually selling the most total consoles.

And to really drive this point home... Look at the numbers if you include all sales of consoles since the day that the Xbox 360 was launched (this includes a whole year where the Wii and PS3 weren't even available)

PS3 / PS2 - 38,251,602
Wii / Gamecube - 24,750,455
Xbox 360 / Xbox - 19,101,320

This is just data... numbers. Is this not a fair way to look at gaming console sales?

Are you the Socom legend blykmik?

^^ (same guy, yeah)

^^^ 

You guys... That's my whole point here.

No one forced Nintendo or MS not to continue to support their past great systems. Maybe they realized those systems couldn't last? I don't know the reasons for stopping the support.

But Sony DID choose to support the PS2... and apparently the public does too.

The Sony brand offers two option for having a console in your home... Obviously that will split its console sales between the two options to some degree.

Is it fair NOT to include the PS2?

Around the Network

I am only surprised that the America numbers are already in...(and not Europe/others).

blykmik said:

^^

No one forced Nintendo or MS not to continue to support their past great systems. Maybe they realized those systems couldn't last? I don't know the reasons for stopping the support.

The Sony brand offers two option for having a console in your home... Obviously that will split its console sales between the two options to some degree.

In my opinion it is because I think $100 and $300+ are very different markets, and not in direct competition. 

Legend11 said:

To be fair the Gamecube has been discontinued so it's basically the Wii going up against both the PS2 and PS3 in your first set of numbers and almost outselling both of them combined even though the Wii has been experiencing shortages since it was launched.

If you think Sony is still dominant I guess from a certain point of view it is (not including handhelds) but wouldn't it make sense to include PSP and DS sales as well since you're already looking at more than one system from each manufacturer?

Handhelds is a different market... and since MS is not even in that area, I figured it wouldn't be fair to add them...

I think you could compare Sony vs Nintendo there and I don't think there's any question that Nintendo is king. 

Sony Defense Force, is that you?

De85 said:
blykmik said:

^^

In my opinion it is because I think $100 and $300+ are very different markets, and not in direct competition.

I agree that there's a different target audience there...

I was just looking at gameing console makers and who's putting the most in the living rooms.  (As mentioned above, hand-helds is yet another thing to look at)