By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do these sales numbers surprise you? [Sony Still Dominant?!?]

Sqrl said:

ultraslick said:

A company wide comparison is one thing, and no-one is unaware of the results of such a comparison. BUT this thread is discussing current home console sales.

So deal with it.

If you want to sit around and frame things in a way that makes you feel all warm in fuzzy inside thats great..feel free to do it but spare us from making a thread every time you do. The simple fact is that if everyone decided to make a thread every time they get a wild hair up their arse and want to cherry pick some data the entire site would be overrun with this drivel...and actually now that I look around it is headed that way. This comparison has no analytical purpose, the only reason to do a comparison like this is if you are a PR rep for Sony trying to find a lighting angle that makes your rewired jaw look normal. Thats the reality of the situation no matter how much you guys want to sit around and play with these numbers.

I'll tell you what I'll "deal with it" and let you guys have your warm fuzzy feelings thread if you "deal with it" and stop pretending that this thread is anything but PR and lipservice for Sony.

I'm really not understanding why it is such a sin to compare console sales separate from hand-held sales.   It seem that it is you that needs this warm fuzzy feeling.  

Who looks at numbers and gets mad?  

The funny thing is, the genesis of my curiosity on this started when a total non-gamer asked me a question during a lunch (where I was trying to explain why I play games...lol), and how much competiion there is...

He asked basically asked two questions:

Which of the three companies (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) have sold the most video game consoles since the release of the PS3 & Wii? (Since all three have been out)

and

Which of the three companies (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) have sold the most video game consoles since the release of the Xbox 360?
(Did MS's head start help them?)

We weren't talking about handhelds (and I even brough them up)... But he seemed to be wondering about who (which company) was in the living room.

This person had no clue about the lifecycles of past consoles and which ones were still in production... So his question was not biased in nature. 

It is amazing how personal some of you seem to take this.  There is nothing twisted and "cherry picking" about those two questions...  The fact that you don't approve of the real-world results doesn't change that.

The Wii is selling way more than the PS3.  Fact!  Luckily for me I find no joy or pain in that fact... for if I did, my emotions might one day take an unhealthy turn...  But don't worry... I'll be fine.

(And by the way... I've done my part... I own every one of the consoles discussed in the top post... so my numbers cancel themselves out!) 

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X
Around the Network
RPGuy96 said:

You mentioned looking at PS2/PS3 hardware from launch - this can't be done worldwide (no Others data for PS2, apparently), but it can be done in America and Japan:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=&reg3=------&weeks=156
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=&reg3=------&weeks=156

PS3 is under half of the PS2 in both regions.

Edit Bonus: Make that third line Wii or GameCube and you might notice something interesting.

I used the tables where it appears that all data is accounted for... Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://vgchartz.com/hwtable.php 

ils411 said:
lots of sony hate going around here. but the op does have a point.

if i may take you all to the world of retail...companies dont compare market share on a per sku or brand basis, for example, coke. coca-cola doest go around and saying, hey, my coke regular has x% market share as comparted to your pepsi regualr y% market share. they usally go around saying, hey, my coke product line has x% market share and your pepsi product line only has y% market share.

it also makes sense that the op didnt include handheld since its a different market. much like how p&g and unilever categorizes their products under hair care and skin care. they dont combine these two when getting market shares as hair care and skin care are again different markets.

so if we consider current selling home consoles, and by current i mean home game consoles that are still being manufactured sold and supported, by brand, sony is still actually leading total unit sold as shown by the ops numbers regardless if its a ps2 or a ps3. and no, that is not cherry picking as we are considering current as already stated.

now if we talk about handhelds, ms has none so automatically they lose. anyway, in this market, nintendo has sonys ass so bad that its not even funny.

so in the end, in the home game console market, the sony brand name still regins supreme while in the hand held market nintendo is the king.

See, that's how I feel about the PS2 - it's not in direct competition with the 360, Wii, or PS3 even though it's a home console.  People looking to go out and acquire an extremely economical console with an unrivaled library of games will look for a PS2, but these are not the same people who are willing to spend much more for a more innovative(Wii) or more powerful (360 and PS3) console.

"From launch" is the operative keyword(s) - if that's where you pulled the data out of in the original post, that's all well and good, but you specifically mentioned that you wanted "the sales charts of consoles with launches aligned for PS1, PS2 & PS3," and the best the site can do is those two graphs (and probably PSX/PS2/PS3 aligned in Japan).

(By the way, to generate those, go to Chartz -> Hardware from Launch, though, as I mentioned, not current-gen consoles lack Others data for the so-called "Total" option.)

Yeah, gotcha... I didn't use the graphs because they seemed like incomplete data that wasn't matching what I found in the tables. I'm not sure why that's not all integrated.

Around the Network

Wouldn't you also have to add gamecubes sold before the wii was launched too? If you start from the xbox 360s launch the gamecube was still not discontinued. So you would have to also add them to nintendos total home consoles. I don't really know that much in sales , but I think I'm right about this. Wouldn't it also not be fair to start the sales from the lauch of the xbox 360 rather than the launch of the ps3 and wii?

De85 said:
ils411 said:

if i may take you all to the world of retail...companies dont compare market share on a per sku or brand basis, for example, coke. coca-cola doest go around and saying, hey, my coke regular has x% market share as comparted to your pepsi regualr y% market share. they usally go around saying, hey, my coke product line has x% market share and your pepsi product line only has y% market share.

it also makes sense that the op didnt include handheld since its a different market. much like how p&g and unilever categorizes their products under hair care and skin care. they dont combine these two when getting market shares as hair care and skin care are again different markets.

so if we consider current selling home consoles, and by current i mean home game consoles that are still being manufactured sold and supported, by brand, sony is still actually leading total unit sold as shown by the ops numbers regardless if its a ps2 or a ps3. and no, that is not cherry picking as we are considering current as already stated.

now if we talk about handhelds, ms has none so automatically they lose. anyway, in this market, nintendo has sonys ass so bad that its not even funny.

so in the end, in the home game console market, the sony brand name still regins supreme while in the hand held market nintendo is the king.

See, that's how I feel about the PS2 - it's not in direct competition with the 360, Wii, or PS3 even though it's a home console.  People looking to go out and acquire an extremely economical console with an unrivaled library of games will look for a PS2, but these are not the same people who are willing to spend much more for a more innovative(Wii) or more powerful (360 and PS3) console.

i understand where your coming from.  price wise and generation wise, the ps2 is not in direct competition with the 360, ps3 and the wii.  but it is still in the same home video game console market. the difference is in its target social class or economic class or market segment.  the ps2, ps3, xbox360 and wii all target the same video game market but focuses on different classes and segments of the market.  ps3 and x360 focuses on the more affluent segment of the market who are into hardcore games or into multimedia machines while the wii and the ps2 focuses on the more casual segment of the market who are itno just gaming or instant gratification.

sc94597 said:
Wouldn't you also have to add gamecubes sold before the wii was launched too? If you start from the xbox 360s launch the gamecube was still not discontinued. So you would have to also add them to nintendos total home consoles. I don't really know that much in sales , but I think I'm right about this. Wouldn't it also not be fair to start the sales from the lauch of the xbox 360 rather than the launch of the ps3 and wii?

I did... The Gamecube numbers are in both sets... it was 2mill and change...

And in the top post there are both sets of the numbers since the PS3/Wii launch AND the numbers since the 360 launch. 

blykmik said:
sc94597 said:

I did... The Gamecube numbers are in both sets... it was 2mill and change...

And in the top post there are both sets of the numbers since the PS3/Wii launch AND the numbers since the 360 launch.

Oh how did I miss that? Sorry 

ils411 said:

So from what I understand, you've decided to combine the different coke products (600mL botle meant for portable use, and the 2L bottle meant for party/home use) but differentiate the video game consoles into portable console and home console? Is that right?