By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do these sales numbers surprise you? [Sony Still Dominant?!?]

Ding! You gained a skill point in Cherry Picking!

Around the Network

This has been brought up before. In fact, last time someone brought it up, it showed Sony with an even more dominant than the numbers you have above.

The reason its unfair is that a 100$ USD ps2 with (what 10000 games?) is an easy sell. It's a good thing too since the ps2 has most likely kept sony from posting another loss in the last quarter.

If you're going to include machines from the past generation you might as well include handhelds as well, which changes the picture dramatically.

twesterm said:
Sony Defense Force, is that you?

lol  No affiliation...

I guess I deserved that considering I dared to speak of the PS2's continued success eh? 

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X

So, are you of the opinion that when the N64+SNES combined were outselling the PS1 for years, that Nintendo was really winning the console war?

blykmik said:
twesterm said:
Sony Defense Force, is that you?

lol No affiliation...

I guess I deserved that considering I dared to speak of the PS2's continued success eh?

No, because you love to cherry pick info that makes one side look awesome and the others look not so good.

-Why of course I add the PS2 because it's still current!

-The Gamecube and XBox may be discontinued but since they were in the same league as the PS2 of course they should be comperable at this date!

-Handhelds? No, no, no. That's just all wrong. That would totally screw up my numbers.

-The Sony family is bigger than any one console, lol.

Hey, guess what, the Ford Focus is outselling the 1968 Mustang, OMG, the Ford Focus is better! 

Around the Network

All he's doing is asking if Sony's plan to continue with the PS2 and sell both a high-end and low-end machine was a good choice. He even asks you to discuss, and straight away you all jump on him.

Ignore the numbers he posted for now and actually discuss the topic at hand, was Sony's decision a good one?
I personally think it was because the PS2 covers a lot of the losses that Sony are making on the PS3 and it still selling very well (see last months NPD).

Some people really need to calm down, sure there's a little flame bait there with the numbers and the title, but can't you all stay civil at all. I swear most people do NOT read full posts.

It's because he's posting it like it's something new or worthwhile to discuss. Nintendo's consoles sold for years and years when they were successful as well; it still didn't matter in the end.  How many months did the GBA outsell the PS3 in the US last year?

He comes off like he's just a Sony fanboy desperate to find some piece of minutiae that might make him feel better about the world.

DKII said:
Ding! You gained a skill point in Cherry Picking!

Please explain... Cherry picking usually means leaving something out... not adding everything in.

How would you compare all sales of full-fledged consoles by Nintendo, MS and Sony?  I guess we could leave out MS and go back as far as when Sony first entered the console area...  But I think those numbers would favor Sony even more.

I choose the time frame of when all 3 "next gen" systems have been out... and even added an extra year (to benefit MS) for good measure.

I would think adding in handhelds which 1.) are a totally different types of devices, 2.) only two of the players even make them, and 3.)  Sony only has one generation of history to look at would have been cherry picking.

And is there any question who is most dominant in handheld sales?  I don't think so...

But back to console gaming... 

PSN ID: free
Gamertag: X freestyle X

As I said, the numbers are a little scewed, etc. But can't you all discuss the relevant things he brought up which is Sony's decision to take a two-console approach.

Its what happens when you say anything positive about Sony/ negative about Nintendo on a sight dominated by Nintendo fan mods.

(With less than 20 responses, already two mods have come in flaming a poster referencing sales. Hmmmmm.)