By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Console Should You Buy This Holiday? 2015 Edition

Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So you're suggesting that a person who had the option to buy three top notch games with (two with replay value) should opt for the console with one top notch game with no replay value? I am not even adding Gears of War as I am playing it right now and the 60fps multiplayer is awesome. It definitely encourages friendly co-op with friends.

If Bloodborne is anything like Dark Souls, it is brimming with replay value. Persona 5, and SFV will close the gap by early next year. After that it will be three quality exclusives vs two quality exclusives. Unless we want to be shortsighted, the PS4 is the clear winner.

Thats nextyear. This post is about this year. Anyone with half a brain who is objective knows the Xbox One has the holiday. Playstation will own first quarter next year for sure, pending Quantum Break isn't a hit. Sony won 2015 in sales, but not top tier exclusives. Bloodborne was it and I don't even really know when Persona is dropping, but it will and I am sure the JRPG gamers will like that. It wont be something the mass audience is clamoring for though.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Disclaimer: Asking which console to buy is like asking what you should get for lunch. It is all subjective. Whether or not a game is good is also subjective. I tend to go by aggregate sites as a mark of quality in a game.

With that out of the way, I would suggest getting either the Wii U, or the PS4 over the Xbox One. Microsoft has never been much on exclusive titles. Gears, Forza, and Halo are their only IPs that regularly make above 85% on metacritic. After those three games, there is always a drought of quality exclusives for Microsoft's consoles. Sony has a twenty year track record for having a ton of quality exclusives over the lifetime of its consoles. The PS4 has been outselling the XB1 for a very long time. Having nearly double the user base, tends to attract developers to make more games for your particular system. Nintendo's Wii U already has five exclusives out that are above 85% on metacritic. Xenoblade, Mario Maker, and Starfox are all very likely to be received well by critics. If you haven't bought any next gen systems yet, then the Wii U stands to keep you busy for the longest time, with its existing library.

Oh yeah, and Bloodborne has a much higher metacritic score than any of the other exclusive titles right now. Mediocre? I think not.

So you're suggesting that a person who had the option to buy three top notch games with (two with replay value) should opt for the console with one top notch game with no replay value? I am not even adding Gears of War as I am playing it right now and the 60fps multiplayer is awesome. It definitely encourages friendly co-op with friends.

To add to what cerebralbore just said about early 2016. 

If a person buys a PS4 this holiday, they will have Bloodborne, infamous, Until Dawn, Tearaway, Uncharted Collection, Last of Us Remastered, Helldivers, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and many more quality games. Now do you think they will only buy it for the exclusives? No, they'll also buy multiplats and by the time Q1 2016 comes, they probably haven't finished half of the games they intended too buy and by Q1 2016 PS4 will Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank. It's not a hard choice.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Ali_16x said:

If a person buys a PS4 this holiday, they will have Bloodborne, infamous, Until Dawn, Tearaway, Uncharted Collection, Last of Us Remastered, Helldivers, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and many more quality games. Now do you think they will only buy it for the exclusives? No, they'll also buy multiplats and by the time Q1 2016 comes, they probably haven't finished half of the games they intended too buy and by Q1 2016 PS4 will Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4 and Ratchet and Clank. It's not a hard choice.

All games have launch dates, but not everyone knows about the non AAA titles. Its the AAA ones that they focus on and generates hype. The XBox One will have more AAA exclusives ontop of third party exclusives. 2015 is done and finished. Fourth quarter isnt Sony's by a long shot and just like they lost November and december, they will lose more than that this year since Halo preorders are coming in preparation for October 27. See...biased people cant even go in depth because they are just listing games rather than being socially aware of what games attract mass audiences.

No one ever remembers that the first Halo of every generation tends to be a pretty big console seller. You will see a spike in Xbox One sales based on that alone in 2015.

-The Xbox One has backwards compatibility coming.

-The Xbox One has Forza coming (But I guess you're still waiting forever for GT...instead of enjoying two great racing franchies)

-The Xbox One has Rise of the Tomb Raider coming (And Playstation gamers cannot touch it for a year). The hype for that games launch of Playstation will be nil.

-Halo is dropping and that will be all she wrote for the fourth quarter to be owned by Microsoft.

I've already finished most of those games and truthfully, I can say the newest Infamous was the worst of the lot. It lost all connection of the glory that was infamous. The gameplay isnt even as engaging at one and two. Killzone Shadowfall....people are better off just playing Wolfenstein. I played both...trust me on this...same premise, except one is not a rip on history. Sunset Overdrive was a breath of fresh air and Titanfall was great while it lasted even though I maintain it should've had a story. Killer Instinct, personally is the best fighter on the market (yes, even with MK out). Knack....yeah...lets forget that game. Until Dawn? Really? Thats a rental. Ratchet and Clank is nice, but the Xbox has the Gears remake with far more replay value. Street FIghter is coming and Sony will finally have their equalizer against Microsoft for fighters but thats next year.

Sony has no answer to Microsoft in fourth quarter and when the hype starts, I suggest you prepare yourself to wonder why.

You want to list Playstation exclusives that can whet peoples palette, but so can I with the Xbox One. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ali_16x said:

All games have launch dates, but not everyone knows about the non AAA titles. Its the AAA ones that they focus on and generates hype. The XBox One will have more AAA exclusives ontop of third party exclusives. 2015 is done and finished. Fourth quarter isnt Sony's by a long shot and just like they lost November and december, they will lose more than that this year since Halo preorders are coming in preparation for October 27. See...biased people cant even go in depth because they are just listing games rather than being socially aware of what games attract mass audiences.

No one ever remembers that the first Halo of every generation tends to be a pretty big console seller. You will see a spike in Xbox One sales based on that alone in 2015.

-The Xbox One has Forza coming (But I guess you're still waiting forever for GT...instead of enjoying two great racing franchies)

-The Xbox One has Rise of the Tomb Raider coming (And Playstation gamers cannot touch it for a year). The hype for that games launch of Playstation will be nil.

-Halo is dropping and that will be all she wrote for the fourth quarter to be owned by Microsoft.

I've already finished most of those games and truthfully, I can say the newest Infamous was the worst of the lot. It lost all connection of the glory that was infamous. The gameplay isnt even as engaging at one and two. Killzone Shadowfall....people are better off just playing Wolfenstein. I played both...trust me on this...same premise, except one is not a rip on history. Sunset Overdrive was a breath of fresh air and Titanfall was great while it lasted even though I maintain it should've had a story. Killer Instinct, personally is the best fighter on the market (yes, even with MK out). Knack....yeah...lets forget that game. Until Dawn? Really? Thats a rental. Ratchet and Clank is nice, but the Xbox has the Gears remake with far more replay value. Street FIghter is coming and Sony will finally have their equalizer against Microsoft for fighters but thats next year.

Sony has no answer to Microsoft in fourth quarter and when the hype starts, I suggest you prepare yourself to wonder why.

You want to list Playstation exclusives that can whet peoples palette, but so can I with the Xbox One. 

So you're talking about casuals. No I don't think they even know what AAA titles are, they only thing they actually know is which game they can find in retail, that is AAA too them and All of the games I mentioned except Rapture have a retail release. I never even mentioned Killzone so I'm not sure why're bringing them up.

Oh my I just finished reading your post and you just downplayed all Sony exclusives lol, I'm done, not going to bother with you.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ali_16x said:

Except that Sony won last november and december. And october, september... Let's make it faster, the PS4 won every month in the last year. Surely before that also, but I didn't check that. 

So you can have fun and say anything about "the greatest line up in Xbox history" and how sure the Xbox victory is, but the numbers disagree. The Xbox lost the 4th quarter last year when the PS4 already had "no gamz" against the awesome Halo MCC, Forza and Sunset Overdrive, and it will surely lose again this year with Halo, Forza and Tomb Raider. And it will lose next year with Halo Wars, Forza and Gears. And... Well, you get it ^^.

I'm not even going to talk again about the games and PS4 bundles that will sell like hotcakes, it's obvious and useless. 

Around the Network

It's actually quite amusing watching reality take place while some people are still riding that bandwagon. Fitting that he's dressed as a cowboy.

The PS5 Exists. 

I have Wii U and nothing for me this year, but next PS4 and probably NX. :)

Great video. I do agree that the Xbox One is by far the best "bang for your buck" this holiday season :P.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Faelco said:

Except that Sony won last november and december. And october, september... Let's make it faster, the PS4 won every month in the last year. Surely before that also, but I didn't check that. 

So you can have fun and say anything about "the greatest line up in Xbox history" and how sure the Xbox victory is, but the numbers disagree. The Xbox lost the 4th quarter last year when the PS4 already had "no gamz" against the awesome Halo MCC, Forza and Sunset Overdrive, and it will surely lose again this year with Halo, Forza and Tomb Raider. And it will lose next year with Halo Wars, Forza and Gears. And... Well, you get it ^^.

I'm not even going to talk again about the games and PS4 bundles that will sell like hotcakes, it's obvious and useless. 

I know that MS is going to lose in the world, but they will win the november and december NPD (Just like I was saying earlier, I just didnt go into specifics as to there sales elsewhere). The only one that truly matters during fourth quarter. A lot of people in other nations are emulating black friday sales from America because it generates large amounts of cash. Microsoft has relevance in the race as long as they win in America. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Faelco said:

I know that MS is going to lose in the world, but they will win the november and december NPD (Just like I was saying earlier, I just didnt go into specifics as to there sales elsewhere). The only one that truly matters during fourth quarter. A lot of people in other nations are emulating black friday sales from America because it generates large amounts of cash. Microsoft has relevance in the race as long as they win in America. 

Why on earth would NPD be the only thing that matters during the fourth quarter ? You're saying that because you want to find a place where the XBox can win. Like I said earlier, the Wii U is still beating the Xbox One in France (according to Nintendo France), can the Wii U fans claim that their console is selling better than the Xbox One and has relevance because of it ?

If MS win by a really small margin in US, but is butchered in all the other countries, they lose relevance. The most important thing is the marketshare, and it's something some people forgot because of the last generation. PS3 and Xbox 360 had the same marketshares (360 even had the lead at the beginning), so it was useless to make exclusive games. But right now, with the PS4 above the 50% mark and still taking more and more marketshares, exclusive titles will become relevant again, especially for the titles not targeting the only Xbox audience (USA). If you expect your game to sell badly in US, don't even release it on Xbox. That's really simple.

So no, NPD is just the only thing where the race is interesting to watch because you can't even call it a race anywhere else in the world, it's a solo run for the PS4. That's the only thing making NPD relevant. And yet, PS4 is winning NPD this year (the One won 1 month only, is that it ?), so it could even lose a month and win YoY... Imagine the opposite, PS4 struggling to tie against the One in Japan, and being inexistant anywhere else.... Nobody would call the PS4 relevant in that case. In fact, that's basically the Wii U/One situation (the Wii U win against the One almost only in Japan) and the Wii U is frequently called an almost dead console. Nobody celebrates the Wii U japanese sales saying "Yeah, we beat the One !!". The Xbox is kinda the american Wii U IMO , selling well in its home country, but really struggling abroad. That's not a good thing, even if you choose to ignore 7 billion people to watch only 300 millions.

It's like saying "American football is more popular than football" because American football has more spectators in the US than football during the Super Bowl. You can choose to consider only some people, for only a certain period of time, but it doesn't change the big picture. If you say that you are only interested in Nov-Dec NPD, then I get it, but it doesn't make it the only thing that matters.

But I don't understand your point about Black Friday... Yes, in Europe we have sales too, it generates a lot of cash, but the PS4 sells a lot more than the One with it. I don't get what it has to do with Microsoft having relevance ? :/