By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Console Should You Buy This Holiday? 2015 Edition

Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So you're suggesting that a person who had the option to buy three top notch games with (two with replay value) should opt for the console with one top notch game with no replay value? I am not even adding Gears of War as I am playing it right now and the 60fps multiplayer is awesome. It definitely encourages friendly co-op with friends.

If Bloodborne is anything like Dark Souls, it is brimming with replay value. Persona 5, and SFV will close the gap by early next year. After that it will be three quality exclusives vs two quality exclusives. Unless we want to be shortsighted, the PS4 is the clear winner.

Thats nextyear. This post is about this year. Anyone with half a brain who is objective knows the Xbox One has the holiday. Playstation will own first quarter next year for sure, pending Quantum Break isn't a hit. Sony won 2015 in sales, but not top tier exclusives. Bloodborne was it and I don't even really know when Persona is dropping, but it will and I am sure the JRPG gamers will like that. It wont be something the mass audience is clamoring for though.

The question posed by OP was "Which console should you buy this holiday?", not "Which console will sell the most units this holiday season?", and definately not, "Which console has the most exclusives this holiday season?". Changing the topic to either of those questions is just a red herring. And in response to OP's question, I say, "You should buy the PS4 this holiday season, because in the long run it will have more exclusives, and more third party support."

Sony didn't win 2015 in top teir exclusives? Hmmmm. Let me check... Here's Microsoft's year. And Here's Sony's.

I already have both. I am just saying where the hype is going to be in fourth quarter is the xbox.

Let me pose a question to you. What games do sony have in 4th quarter to go up against halo by itself? Forget tomb raider, forget forza, fable legends and the rest. I am giving you a one game handicap and you better have a good answer.

Jonny has one sickly old cow for sale. It will die soon.

Jim has three newborn calves. One of them is male, and the other two are female. None of the three calves are related.

The sickly old cow costs $1,000. You can also buy all three calves for $1000. You already have a field to let either purchase graze on.

The sickly cow has two working utters.

Jonny's argument for purchasing the sickly old cow. "Let me pose a question to you. What utters do those calves have to go up against just one of my cow's utters? Forget the other utter! I'm giving Jim a handicap. Jim had better have a good answer!"

Jim's argument for purchasing the three calves. "The sickly old cow will die within the next year. Any milk you get from her this summer will be all the milk you ever get. The calves will be ready to produce milk within the next year. They will mate with each other and produce more calves, which will produce more milk. In the long  run you stand to gain the most by buying my calves."

Parable fun time is over. S.T.A.G.E., which purchase would you make, based on the arguments made by the two cow salesmen?

Jim's cows of course. I was just being objective based on this years offerings during the holiday season.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So you're suggesting that a person who had the option to buy three top notch games with (two with replay value) should opt for the console with one top notch game with no replay value? I am not even adding Gears of War as I am playing it right now and the 60fps multiplayer is awesome. It definitely encourages friendly co-op with friends.

If Bloodborne is anything like Dark Souls, it is brimming with replay value. Persona 5, and SFV will close the gap by early next year. After that it will be three quality exclusives vs two quality exclusives. Unless we want to be shortsighted, the PS4 is the clear winner.

Thats nextyear. This post is about this year. Anyone with half a brain who is objective knows the Xbox One has the holiday. Playstation will own first quarter next year for sure, pending Quantum Break isn't a hit. Sony won 2015 in sales, but not top tier exclusives. Bloodborne was it and I don't even really know when Persona is dropping, but it will and I am sure the JRPG gamers will like that. It wont be something the mass audience is clamoring for though.

The question posed by OP was "Which console should you buy this holiday?", not "Which console will sell the most units this holiday season?", and definately not, "Which console has the most exclusives this holiday season?". Changing the topic to either of those questions is just a red herring. And in response to OP's question, I say, "You should buy the PS4 this holiday season, because in the long run it will have more exclusives, and more third party support."

Sony didn't win 2015 in top teir exclusives? Hmmmm. Let me check... Here's Microsoft's year. And Here's Sony's.

If only games like MGSV or Witcher 3 were available on Xbox.  Oh well.  A man can dream, can't he?

Whoops. I hit the "with at least ten reviews" button to avoid having games with only three to six reviews pop up. Anyway, my point is that both consoles were practically identical last year, with the exception of Bloodborne.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I already have both. I am just saying where the hype is going to be in fourth quarter is the xbox.

Let me pose a question to you. What games do sony have in 4th quarter to go up against halo by itself? Forget tomb raider, forget forza, fable legends and the rest. I am giving you a one game handicap and you better have a good answer.

Jim has three newborn calves. One of them is male, and the other two are female. None of the three calves are related.

The sickly old cow costs $1,000. You can also buy all three calves for $1000. You already have a field to let either purchase graze on.

Jonny's argument for purchasing the sickly old cow. "Let me pose a question to you. What utters do those calves have to go up against just one of my cow's utters? Forget the other utter! I'm giving Jim a handicap. Jim had better have a good answer!"

Jim's argument for purchasing the three calves. "The sickly old cow will die within the next year. Any milk you get from her this summer will be all the milk you ever get. The calves will be ready to produce milk within the next year. They will mate with each other and produce more calves, which will produce more milk. In the long  run you stand to gain the most by buying my calves."

Parable fun time is over. S.T.A.G.E., which purchase would you make, based on the arguments made by the two cow salesmen?

Jim's cows of course. I was just being objective based on this years offerings during the holiday season.

Well, the Xbox has better exclusives this holiday for sure. That wasn't the question posed by OP though. Which console you buy this holiday season should be given the same amount of thought as which cows you buy. In other words we need to plan for the future when considering our purchases, whether they be cattle, or consoles.

Cerebralbore101 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Well, the Xbox has better exclusives this holiday for sure. That wasn't the question posed by OP though. Which console you buy this holiday season should be given the same amount of thought as which cows you buy. In other words we need to plan for the future when considering our purchases, whether they be cattle, or consoles.

Halo is dropping in the fourth quarter. Forget the other games Microsoft is bringing, when the first Halo drops on the Xbox it turns heads. You will see. Sony has no fourth quarter blockbuster which will shift consoles and at the same time sell above eight million on average in the west. Sure, Sony's got everywhere else in the world based on knowledge of what a base console is, but what Microsoft is offering this year is far more valuable than any other year since 2013 for the holiday season.

Cerebralbore101 said:
d21lewis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If only games like MGSV or Witcher 3 were available on Xbox.  Oh well.  A man can dream, can't he?

Whoops. I hit the "with at least ten reviews" button to avoid having games with only three to six reviews pop up. Anyway, my point is that both consoles were practically identical last year, with the exception of Bloodborne.

Microsoft won black friday and won November and December in the states with a fifty dollar price drop and some multiple bundles (including the Sunset Overdrive special edition bundle which was limited). Sony might have won the war, but losing in the states is a huge victory for Microsoft. People from outside don't underestimate the value of the states, but would rather keep it hush about how much value the sales of one country can bring to the table when it comes to purchases. With Halo 5 dropping soon, it should penetrate Europe by some 2 to 3 million. Thats all Microsoft really needs right now.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
d21lewis said:

Microsoft won black friday and won November and December in the states with a fifty dollar price drop and some multiple bundles (including the Sunset Overdrive special edition bundle which was limited). Sony might have won the war, but losing in the states is a huge victory for Microsoft. People from outside don't underestimate the value of the states, but would rather keep it hush about how much value the sales of one country can bring to the table when it comes to purchases. With Halo 5 dropping soon, it should penetrate Europe by some 2 to 3 million. Thats all Microsoft really needs right now.

I dont remember halo ever being big outside the US and Uk. When it comes to shooters,  thats where 80%of their sales come from. So I dont see halo doing anything big Outside thouse 2 markets.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
d21lewis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I thought that Sony was winning in the US as well. Do you really believe that microsoft could sell 3 million consoles in Europe this year? Based on VGchartz data which may be very inaccurate, Microsoft managed to sell 660.000 units so far (without August numbers). They need more than Halo 5 to achieve that.   

eva01beserk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I dont remember halo ever being big outside the US and Uk. When it comes to shooters,  thats where 80%of their sales come from. So I dont see halo doing anything big Outside thouse 2 markets.

Hence why I primarily stated the west. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
eva01beserk said:

Hence why I primarily stated the west. 

You said it can break 2-3 mil in EU.

And you keep mentioning tht "the first halo of every gen does big numbers". This has no backing at all. The only known instance is halo 3. Wich is the highest selling halo of them all. Halo 2 did better than 1 on original xbox due to its bigger install base at the time. Bungi had publicly abandoned halo after 3 and fans knew this so it might be the reason why the following games did not do as well, not because of first halo of the gen.

Not saying that it cant be true, but that is kind of true to any franchise. People want to see the icon they love in the new, stronger hardware and they might have skiped an installment or 2. But to say that this is the only factor why halo 5 will rule is nonsense, It will be lucky if it reaches halo 4 numbers on this low installbase.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

danielrdp said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I thought that Sony was winning in the US as well. Do you really believe that microsoft could sell 3 million consoles in Europe this year? Based on VGchartz data which may be very inaccurate, Microsoft managed to sell 660.000 units so far (without August numbers). They need more than Halo 5 to achieve that.   

Halo will definitely win fourth quarter in the states this year. I believe they will win over the world sales in the last two months since Halo drops in October 27th.