By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review Thread - MC: 93/ GR: 91.59%

Tagged games:

tokilamockingbrd said:
soooooo.......

Never played MGS. Well I played a little of 1 and 4 but did not get into it.

Will I be able to jump into this one? In the past I hated stealth games but the past 2-3 years I have started to get decently good at them.

Gameplay wise? Sure. It's alot different from other Stealth games since its open world and you have many different ways to tackle things. Also expanding your Mother Base could be addicting.

Story wise? Probably not.

Although i would recommend playing through the entire series cause its amazing (i made a post on how to do so here)

That said i would not recommend going in blind (Story wise). The bare minimum backstory id say ud need for TPP would be MGS3s story, Peace Walker and Ground Zeros as TPP is a direct sequel to these 3 games. (All of them are actually prequels featuring the original Naked Snake (Big Boss) and not Solid Snake, his clone.)

Option 1. Play the games (See my older post here)

Option 2. Watch the movie versions on youtube (like i said MGS3,PW,GZ are the minimum required but if you wanted to you could watch the others witch take place after The Phantom Pain)

Option 3. The quickest but least rewarding option would be to watch recap videos on youtube witch will only take a little over an hour. Youtuber Eligible Monsters has a really good series

Around the Network

2 DAYS TO GO, can't wait anymore !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Chevinator123 said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
soooooo.......

Will I be able to jump into this one? In the past I hated stealth games but the past 2-3 years I have started to get decently good at them.

Gameplay wise? Sure. It's alot different from other Stealth games since its open world and you have many different ways to tackle things. Also expanding your Mother Base could be addicting.

Although i would recommend playing through the entire series cause its amazing (i made a post on how to do so here)

That said i would not recommend going in blind (Story wise). The bare minimum backstory id say ud need for TPP would be MGS3s story, Peace Walker and Ground Zeros as TPP is a direct sequel to these 3 games. (All of them are actually prequels featuring the original Naked Snake (Big Boss) and not Solid Snake, his clone.)

Option 2. Watch the movie versions on youtube (like i said MGS3,PW,GZ are the minimum required but if you wanted to you could watch the others witch take place after The Phantom Pain)

Option 3. The quickest but least rewarding option would be to watch recap videos on youtube witch will only take a little over an hour. Youtuber Eligible Monsters has a really good series

The digital Encyclopedia that came with MGS4 really helped me with the story (hadn't played any others).  It was a great deal of reading, but it definitely helped me understand at least some history lol.

Chevinator123 said:
tokilamockingbrd said:
soooooo.......

I never got far enough into MGS to see the story. My issue was prior to 2012 or so I just did not do stealth games (Rainbow 6 N64, and Zelda OoT(sequence in Hyrule you had to avoid guards)  made me avoid them). AC Black Flag and a few other games got me into games with heavy stealth elements.

I will probably go with option 3. I have about 4 games on my backlog and I dont have the time to play through several games to prep me for a new release.

If I love MGS5 I will probably go back and play at least MGS4 since I still actively use my PS3.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

It's looking like he wasn't kidding when he claimed it'd be game of the year, he's up there with Ocarina of Time on Metacritic.

Didn't think anything would dethrone Witcher 3 this year.

Around the Network

I got confirmation yesterday that Amazon have sent the game out! Hopefully the delivery guys are vaguely competent otherwise there will be hell to pay!

Damn Release already on PC!

The Game of the Year is coming!

Thank you, Hideo Kojima and the old kojima production.

ps. konami, the publisher sucks : )

I have played every Metal Gear since Ps1, all but the PSP ones and i have to admit that the only one that i didnt liked was Ground Zeroes.

The best explanation of what i felt with the game is what Greg Miller said on his Phantom Pain review, he felt with that game (GZ) as if you are thrown into a shoe box where you feel like everybody can see you from any angle.

I preordered PP even tho i didnt like GZ. Have any of you despised GZ and still preordered PP?

Famitsu:

40/40 points, best singleplayer-game this year!