By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review Thread - MC: 93/ GR: 91.59%

Tagged games:

Will be interesting to see where this lands now that the reviewers who weren't flown out to a private gameplay event get to review the game :P

Mostly kidding, not devaluing the score although the whole process for doing a pre-release review here was really dumb.

Around the Network

i give 10/10. its really perfect (story, characters, open world, gameplay, soundtracks ect). 1A high quality.

BraLoD said:
Just 30 reviews on MC yet, and more than 2/3 before release.
Reviewers seems like are really taking their time with MGS.

And lol, it keeps 100, 90, 100, 90, 100, 90.

Well there were no pre-release review copies given out.  You either agreed to be flown out to their facility and forced to play the game under a pretty strict time limit or you went and bought it yourself.  So reviews are going to take longer than normal. 

BraLoD said:
Nuvendil said:

Well there were no pre-release review copies given out.  You either agreed to be flown out to their facility and forced to play the game under a pretty strict time limit or you went and bought it yourself.  So reviews are going to take longer than normal. 

Yeah, but I hope it doesn't drag for too long.

Well this is the problem review sites face most people don't realize they cause :P

People demand both accuracy and in depth reviews *and* really fast reviews.  But with a game like TPP, it takes a while to go in depth.  So they are either going to get blasted because they didn't play long enough and "rushed it out for clicks" OR they aren't going to get too many clicks and are going to get slammed with a bunch of people saying "finally, took you long enough" :P

Nuvendil said:

Most press got the full retail game copy before release.

The pre-release event was more to small ones that didn't reveiced the retail copy.

IGN for examplo got the retail copy before the pre-release event.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Nuvendil said:

Most press got the full retail game copy before release.

The pre-release event was more to small ones that didn't reveiced the retail copy.

IGN for examplo got the retail copy before the pre-release event.

hmmm?  I thought for sure I heard otherwise.

Edit:  In fact, what I am reading right now seems to indicate that I was right.  The early reviews (those first 25 or so) came from the "bootcamps" where you had to agree to come out there and review based on observed gameplay.  Except for maybe a small handful of really, really big sites.  I'll keep looking, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this...

Nuvendil said:

Edit:  In fact, what I am reading right now seems to indicate that I was right.  The early reviews (those first 25 or so) came from the "bootcamps" where you had to agree to come out there and review based on observed gameplay.  I'll keep looking, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this...

Konami give two types of reviews this time...

1. The review event for small outlets with 3 days to play the game.
2. Retail copies sent to big outlets.

That was showed in GAF... some pressers said they received the retail copy and others said they was only invited to the event.

Greg Miller posted his retail copy (IGN) on twiiter on August 21st... they received a retail copy instead the need to go to the reviewer event.

Edit - That was what happened: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176380394&postcount=190

This guy is a reviewer and got the copy of the game to review (not the event invite): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176372061&postcount=41

This other received the invite: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176371802&postcount=28

ethomaz said:

Nuvendil said:

Edit:  In fact, what I am reading right now seems to indicate that I was right.  The early reviews (those first 25 or so) came from the "bootcamps" where you had to agree to come out there and review based on observed gameplay.  I'll keep looking, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on this...

Konami give two types of reviews this time...

1. The review event for small outlets with 3 days to play the game.
2. Retail copies sent to big outlets.

That was showed in GAF... some pressers said they received the retail copy and others said they was only invited to the event.

Greg Miller posted his retail copy (IGN) on twiiter on August 21st... they received a retail copy instead the need to go to the reviewer event.

Yeah, like I said in my last edit it seems the biggest of the big got retail coppies.  Still seems like the vast majority of reviewers either got invited to the bootcamps or snubbed.  Personally, that's not cool by my standards.  But anyway, this is off topic

Nuvendil said:

Yeah, like I said in my last edit it seems the biggest of the big got retail coppies.  Still seems like the vast majority of reviewers either got invited to the bootcamps or snubbed.  Personally, that's not cool by my standards.  But anyway, this is off topic

Yeap... seems like that... I edited my comment with some users on GAF that did get the retail copy and not the event invite.

Everything before August 24.

My copy of the game should be arriving this monday, CANT WAIT (and im stressed having to avoid spoilers EVERYWHERE), heck i HATE it when people think that they are not spoiling by saying stuff like "this part of the game is AMAZING"... you IDIOT you are already setting my expectations high and making any surprise less impressive because i will already be expecting something for that part of the game...