By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is PlayStation Just As Iconic As Nintendo?

Is this a joke? The brand PlayStation is a lot bigger than Nintendo.
That bein said ninty has the most iconic characters ever in videogame history and that cannot be beaten.

Even in 100years from now people will stil know what mario is.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

If Sony had kept either crash or Spyro as their mascot throughout all four generations, I think that by now Sony would be much more iconic than Nintendo.

I would go as far to say that even the Xbox brand name is much more iconic than PlayStation ( Exclusively In America ) as of now all because they have Master Chief.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Goodnightmoon said:
DerNebel said:
In home console hardware it is already at least as iconic, the PS1 and PS2 massively expanded the market and especially the PS2 is still often considered to be the best console to date. It says a lot that the PS2 alone sold almost as much as all Nintendo consoles up to the Gamecube did combined.

Nintendo sold last generation the same number of consoles as Ps1 and Ps2 combined.

OT: No they are not, Nintendo games are way more iconic from a historical point of view.

Console =/= handhelds.

And you are, not surprising really, severely underselling the impact Playstation had on the gaming industry.

No. I don't think it ever will

Goodnightmoon said:
DerNebel said:
In home console hardware it is already at least as iconic, the PS1 and PS2 massively expanded the market and especially the PS2 is still often considered to be the best console to date. It says a lot that the PS2 alone sold almost as much as all Nintendo consoles up to the Gamecube did combined.

Nintendo sold last generation the same number of consoles as Ps1 and Ps2 combined.

OT: No they are not, Nintendo games are way more iconic from a historical 

Is the DS a home console now? If you want to crunch numbers the total amount of home console playstations sold, without including 8th gen is around 300 million within 3 gens, that's almost the combined sales of Wii,  GC, N64, SNES, NES, which is 6 gens. So looking on history Sony consoles tend to sell almost twice as good as Nintendo consoles.

So the name playstation is defenitly as iconic as Nintendo for homeconsoles and more relevant saleswise. If you are coming with the argument that Sony owed that succes to the fact that playstations where dvd and blu ray players, don't forget the Wii sold good due to a gimmick which didnt turn out well for Wii U,  Wii was a better console with more high quality titels though. TLOU is pretty much iconic just as GOW and Uncharted not to forget Gran Turismo.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Depends on pov

PlayStation consoles could be considered more iconic than Ninty consoles, but Nintendo's franchises will probably remain the most iconic. You just can't compete with the likes of Mario, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

No way. You see people all the time asking for Nintento to go third party, but rarely hear about wanting for Sony to go bankrupt and selling their games to other companies. Why? Because they know who's the real icon here.

Wright said:

No way. You see people all the time asking for Nintento to go third party, but rarely hear about wanting for Sony to go bankrupt and selling their games to other companies. Why? Because they know who's the real icon here.

This is asking about PlayStation, not about Sony franchises.

Nah, PlayStation has made up some serious ground, but no title they make will never be iconic as Mario/Luigi, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon