By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider gaming a part of you?

Yeah, like what others are saying. I love it, but it's a hobby, and I don't usually bring up hobbies in situations like that. I mention it when I'm told to list hobbies on profiles and stuff though.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

No, it's not. Nobody cares. The only time it will ever cross someone's mind as being "uncool" is when an uncool person is using one. No one is judging the device. They're judging the person. I play a big Pikachu 3DS all the time, and not once have I even slightly thought I lost someone's respect or coolness points for using it. And I'm a very popular guy outside of this site.

If Robert Downey Jr. played a Vita on a bus, no one would think "that cool guy is using that uncool device." They'd think "that cool guy is playing a video game."

Meanwhile, if a nerd with crooked glasses and a baggy "gaming through the ages" t-shirt was playing the Vita on the bus, the judgement wouldn't be so nice, and it wouldn't be directed at the handheld. And he wouldn't look "cooler" if he was taking Instagram photos ot texting either.

Though my best friend gets annoyed when I bring it to dinner, so I've slowed down a bit. But that's more because I pay less attention to him and he thinks it's rude.

@Bold You wish that were true but that's not the case in the real world when it comes to two or more strangers ... 

No one cares however at the same time it's not adding to your appeal to the other gender when playing console-esque games ... 

Yep. But nintendo is a part of my life, not gaming in general. For example, im a school teacher and my class is decorated with paintings of mario, luigi, peach, toad, yoshi etc.

I like to talk about gaming with a female colleague of me, and she is a 45 year old mother of three :). I consider gaming a part of me since it is one of my biggest hobbies. But I think most of us has the perception that saying it is, is not socially acceptable and therefore we rarely mention it.

Its a hobby and i love it

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network

"Unfortunately" yes. I've been trying to diversify and get out more. I used to spend a lot of time outdoors (running) but security's gone to hell so I stay indoors and play games/code all day. Not too sexy or healthy at all XD

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

In the end, it's just a hobby of mine.

I certainly am in love with certain games, but I wouldn't put my relation on that sort of level.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

In truth, I would say yes, they often have a not-insignificant impact on my life. But when talking about video games with IRL people... I often find myself trying to hide that fact, and claim it as no more than a passtime.

Maybe it's because gaming, compared to many other hobbies, is "unproductive" or thought of as just toys. Maybe that's because it's a relatively newer form of media, compared to movies or television. I can't say for certain.

I have no problem admitting to myself or close friends that I'm a gamer... But with anyone else, I don't find myself so open to talk about what is pretty much a primary hobby of mine. I'm not sure why that is.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

There's still a social stigma attached to gaming among people who don't game. It should be no different to saying you like movies, but people come to not very charitable conclusions about you if you say you like gaming, which they wouldn't do if you say you are a movie buff.

It's ignorance based in a old stereotype, but I don't care to attempt to overcome that ignorance in this way. I prefer to tell people I like gaming in smaller conversations.

Of course my son's friends all think I'm the coolest parent ever because I'm into gaming when none of their fathers are. So there is that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

It feels dorky talking about it in real life with people. Its only ok in the confines of the internet where its kinda hidden from people who may judge you. I cant accept it myself that I'm into them. Going into gaming stores or gaming sections of stores, I feel like I'm too cool for this kind of stuff. Then I look at the people there and I say to myself, "look at these gaming geeks, lol." Then when I ask to purchase something, I kind of whisper it to the worker. When I'm at the counter, I hide my face. Dat feeling when buying condums 😅 . You could say I'm in the closet.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence