By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you consider gaming a part of you?

Mr Puggsly said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

No, and I've been doing this before 99% of the users here were born lol. Gaming is just a past time. It's a hobby. Yes, I do it all the time and yes, I'm very passionate about it. But it's still just a hobby for me.

I feel there is a contradiction here. If gaming is something you're VERY PASSIONATE about than maybe its more than just a hobby to you.

I wouldn't introduce myself as a gamer because it has the stigma of a nerdy, childish thing. However, anybody in my life knows gaming is a big fucking deal to me. I have logs tracking the games I own, the game I've completed, etc. I'm currently rushing through some games because I want to get them out of the way for upcoming holiday releases.

I absolutely consider gaming part of me, its more than just something I do to pass time. Its easy for me to say gaming is part of me because I am also passionate about it and its something I will probably never stop doing in my life. Just because its part of you doesn't mean its all you're about.

I suppose it's one of those things that is defined by the individual. I would consider music a "part of me", but that's because I'm a song writer and artist. It's not just something I do for fun, it's something that IS ME. Creating music, that is taking something inside of me, and expressing it in a physical form. It's much more personal and emotional than sitting down to play Titfanfall of Infamous for me.

I suppose if someone felt that way about games, it would makes sense to say it was a part of them though. I'm sure game designers feel that way.

Around the Network

It is a part of me, but if I was in that scenario, I wouldn't say that :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

fatslob-:O said:

Cool that you've never had a problem getting girls but that's not the case for a large portion of men out there who have to deal with a negative stigma surrounding games ...

Your right about having more than one factor when it comes to appeal but that doesn't make my point any less valid of games lowering your public appeal ...

None of those men are dealing with a "negative stigma around games." They are dealing with a negative stigma around themselves. It has abosolutely 0% to do with video games or handhelds. Games don't lower your public appeal at all. Not one bit. If you lack appeal with games, you lack the same appeal without games. Games are nothing but a scapegoat for that stuff at this point.

It's like when people say "nice guys finish last." No, they don't. The guys who say that just happen to be undesirable. Being nice isn't suddenly going to change that. But no, it totally can't be because they're boring, unfunny, unconfident, un-put together, out of shape, etc. It's because they're "too nice" that they don't get the girls they want. Right.

I always mention that I play videogames/I'm a gamer.

I don't mention it when I meet new people for the first time unless it happens to come up. I do have a few game-related shirts that I wear quite often though. All my friends and family know I am passionate about gaming. I don't think its anything to be ashamed of.. It may bring up the geeky, basement-dwelling stereotype to some, but I don't usually associate myself with people who assume things like that so I could care less.

Gaming is definitely part of me and I couldn't imagine it not being part of my life at least in some way.

Around the Network

I love video games, have since I was a little kid. But they do not define who I am, they are something I enjoy doing, a pastime, or interest. I would not introduce myself to people as a gamer. If they specifically asked me what some of my interests are, of course I'd list video games among my top interests, because it is. But I do not know that I consider gaming to be a "part of who I am" as a person.

Im a gamer through and through and have no shame in telling people my hobby. I even shout from the rooftops that I am a Wii U fanboy, and here in the UK thats is a crime against humanity :)

Interesting responses. I expected them to be more one sided... But I don't know. My dream is to be a game critic or composer or designer (only willing for reviewer, I think it's too risky to become a developer. Unless I manage to be contracted by a publisher). Hopefully, I gain the courage to say it like something normal some day

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I'm a gamer, and it's absolutely a part of my life on a daily basis. However, it's not something I advertise in public because there's still a stigma associated with it for some reason. Gaming is still quite often looked down upon whereas wasting time watching tv, reading, or going to some nightclub isn't.

They're all activities we're doing to pass the time before we die in my eyes.

If video gaming suddenly didn't exist anymore, I would feel like I lost a part of my identity.