By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Extra Credits] A Generation of Remasters - Welcome Updates or Troubling Omens?

We got a lot (and I really mean a lot) of PS2 remasters on the PS3 (more than we have now on PS4), and yet nobody complains now about the poor PS3 games library...

Around the Network

Not a huge fan of remasters, especially at full price.

DivinePaladin said:
Samus Aran said:
Conina said:
Samus Aran said:

During the same timeframe Nintendo released New Super Mario Bros. U (more of the same, uninspired, uncreative), Nintendoland, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, Lego City: Undercover, Fatal Frame V (only in Japan) and The Wonderful 101.

Aren't you forgetting that the WiiU launched 12 months earlier? So you are comparing 32 months Wii U vs. 20 months PS4!

So if you want to compare the first 20 months of Wii U with the first 20 months PS4, there are no Super Smash Bros. 4, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors and Fatal Frame V.

Huh? I just counted Wii U games from 2012-2014 and I counted PS4 games from 2013-2015.  I know there is still 4 months to go, but it's not like the PS4 has big first party games coming out this year. From the list I checked there's Until Dawn, Tearaway (Vita game with new stuff added in) and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

If we're now only counting first party developed games, then you also have to chop off Bayo and the last four games from your Wii U list though. 

I counted Littlebigplanet 3, Bloodborne and The Order 1886 as well. They're all made by third party studios.

Samus Aran said:
DivinePaladin said:
Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I wonder why there's a sudden surge in dislike of remasters?

Probably because some of 'em think it's a chink in the armor of the ps4 so they keep going after it. 

Remasters are optional and they don't eat up resources at all, if anything the sales of 'em give more resources to use with making other games. Fact is the things sell so until they stop selling, there will be remasters.

Why is Sony's first party line-up so poor then so far? Uncharted 4 is delayed as well.

I'm pretty sure you're just trying to get a rise out of people now. Twice now you've avoided my counters and just tried to take potshots at Sony as if they've wronged you somehow. 

No, it's a fact that Sony's first party line-up hasn't been that great so far.

Littlebigplanet 3: glitched and bugged upon release, more of the same and also on PS3

Driveclub: online didn't work properly at launch, it's a racing game (too many of those exist already)

The Order 1886: short game, way too many QTE, mediocre gameplay, fancy graphics (at the cost of everything else)

Infamous Second Son: city is rather empty, good but unambitious game, more of the same.

Knack: unappealing main character, boring gameplay with unfair difficulty

Killzone: Shadowfall: a mediocre FPS

Bloodborne: their one true great game this gen.

MLB franchise: annualized sports games! Yay!

If you think this isn't disappointing then I don't know anymore...

During the same timeframe Nintendo released New Super Mario Bros. U (more of the same, uninspired, uncreative), Nintendoland, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, Lego City: Undercover, Fatal Frame V (only in Japan) and The Wonderful 101.

1. Some of those PS4 games you're bad talking reviewed right in the same ballpark as some of those Wii U games you have listed at the bottom.

2. The Wii U has had an extra 12 months to collect games, how many of those exclusives came out in the first 20 months that the Wii U was out?

3. The Wii U has some great exclusives out for it, but Nintendo relies on exclusives much more than Sony does. How many games would be coming out for the Wii U this year if they didn't have any exclusives? 4 or 5? Maybe?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Faelco said:
We got a lot (and I really mean a lot) of PS2 remasters on the PS3 (more than we have now on PS4), and yet nobody complains now about the poor PS3 games library...

There were a lot complaints back then about HD-remastered PS2-games by some people.

I always liked the PS-exclusive HD-collections (God of War, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Raccoon, ICO/SotC) and the MGS-HD-collection: good value for the money (they were always cheaper than the money I got for the used PS2 versions), huge resolution jump (PAL/NTSC to 720p or even 1080p, sometimes even gorgeous stereoscopic 3D), achievements and often even cross-buy Vita-versions so I can play my favorite PS2-games on the go.

I didn't care about most of the rest of the HD-remasters from PS2 to PS3 (Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Hitman...), since I already had the PC-versions which always supported 1080p resolutions and higher, but the existence of these remasters didn't bother me either: not every game has to appeal to every person, so if others buy and like these remasters, I'm happy for them.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

I counted Littlebigplanet 3, Bloodborne and The Order 1886 as well. They're all made by third party studios.

Oh shit, LBP3 was Sumo, that's right. Fair point there, although those are also unique cases in that they're all first party franchises outsourced to a nonexclusive dev (although The Order was "codeveloped" by SMS too). To discount those is to discount something like Ratchet & Clank despite being that the truest of first party franchises. The fair middle ground in comparison now that there's so much grey area would be to cut out Bayo, FFV, and Lego City and compare first party developed or first-party-owned franchises (such as TW101/HW or Bloodborne/LBP, etc.).

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

DivinePaladin said:
Samus Aran said:

Oh shit, LBP3 was Sumo, that's right. Fair point there, although those are also unique cases in that they're all first party franchises outsourced to a nonexclusive dev (although The Order was "codeveloped" by SMS too). To discount those is to discount something like Ratchet & Clank despite being that the truest of first party franchises. The fair middle ground in comparison now that there's so much grey area would be to cut out Bayo, FFV, and Lego City and compare first party developed or first-party-owned franchises (such as TW101/HW or Bloodborne/LBP, etc.).

I read somewhere that Nintendo owns the Lego City Undercover IP and it was co-developed by Nintendo SPD. And I think they own Fatal Frame as well, though not sure.

Conina said:
Faelco said:

There were a lot complaints back then about HD-remastered PS2-games by some people.

I always liked the PS-exclusive HD-collections (God of War, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Raccoon, ICO/SotC) and the MGS-HD-collection: good value for the money (they were always cheaper than the money I got for the used PS2 versions), huge resolution jump (PAL/NTSC to 720p or even 1080p, sometimes even gorgeous stereoscopic 3D), achievements and often even cross-buy Vita-versions so I can play my favorite PS2-games on the go.

I didn't care about most of the rest of the HD-remasters from PS2 to PS3 (Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Hitman...), since I already had the PC-versions which always supported 1080p resolutions and higher, but the existence of these remasters didn't bother me either: not every game has to appeal to every person, so if others buy and like these remasters, I'm happy for them.

Yep, but can we complain today about the PS3 library? 

We'll have to wait the end of the generation to make a real evaluation of the games we got, it's still too soon for that. 

Sony home consoles always end up having the best library of the gen, they just take a few years.

The PS3 ended up having the best exclusives and it started with shit like Lair lol.

Remember Lair?

This thread has dangerously derailed into list wars and arguments about first party lineups. This thread is about the situation regarding the remastering trend in gaming. So let's get back on topic please.