By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Extra Credits] A Generation of Remasters - Welcome Updates or Troubling Omens?

Hynad said:
Samus Aran said:

Wind Waker HD was built form scratch (they lost the original build): the lighting, textures, shadows, etc. are all reworked and improved considerably. The resolution gets a big upgrade from 480p to 1080p, much bigger than the one from GoW 3 R or the Uncharted Collection. The controls are improved considerably thanks to the gamepad. The entire soundtrack is orchestrated... They added the swift sail to make sailing much less tedious. They added miiverse integration which made the world feel more alive. They improved upon the final triforce fetch quest to make it a lot less tedious.

Good enough for you? What Sony did is just a resolution and framerate upgrade.

The part about Wind Waker HD being rebuilt from scratch because they lost the original build is utter bull.

And nope, the soundtrack wasn't orchestrated. It simply uses higher quality instrument samples than the original game.

So... yeah. 

I might be confused with another game then where a company lost the original code. Not that it matters much to my argument, I went over all the changes and there were quite a few.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

What Sony did is just a resolution and framerate upgrade.

Have you ever actually bothered to look up any of the stuff you post about? The Uncharted Collection is seeing significant changes and upgrades. Sure, it's 1080p @ 60 fps, but the models, lighting, textures, AA, and even the controls have been upgraded and updated for the collection. On top of that, they've added a photo-mode, and a new difficulty.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Samus Aran said:

What Sony did is just a resolution and framerate upgrade.

Have you ever actually bothered to look up any of the stuff you post about? The Uncharted Collection is seeing significant changes and upgrades. Sure, it's 1080p @ 60 fps, but the models, lighting, textures, AA, and even the controls have been upgraded and updated for the collection. On top of that, they've added a photo-mode, and a new difficulty.

You say this as if it's a big deal lol. I've seen the comparison videos, not much has changed.

I don't think it's been an issue on Wii U or Xbone, but if I were a PS4 only owner it might bother me I guess, since there's been little else besides Bloodborne and a slew of remasters. Luckily MicroSony has a slew of amazing 3rd party games to rely on.

If they're going to keep remastering games then they should do a full overhaul like what Square is doing with FF VII.

Around the Network

Great episode, and agree 100%

I wonder why there's a sudden surge in dislike of remasters?

The PS5 Exists. 

People can argue their likes and dislikes of remasters all they want but the bottom line is that there is zero evidence that remasters are bad for the industry. In fact strategical releases such as the Uncharted Collection releasing months before Uncharted 4 should actually help the sales of Uncharted 4 since the Uncharted Collection will obviously be played by people who never gamed on PS3.

Sure there are bad remasters but there are also bad original games. Original content doesn't mean better experience. If you have a game that is liked by millions of gamers and millions of people buy that remastered game...that tells you just how welcome remasters are. Remasters have proven to be very lucrative measures to the finance of a studios next project.

Complaining about remasters is like complaining about a genre that you have no interest in. If Square Enix would put less effort into RPG's then they would have more focus on the Turn Based Strategy market therefore I would have more TBS games and less RPG's! This logic doesn't make sense, its selfish.

Why parade against something that has no effect on your gaming life but fills the gaming gaps of many other gaming individuals?

Samus Aran said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Samus Aran said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Samus Aran said:

The majority of games in the top 20 on metacritic (PS4/XBONE) are remasters/cross-gen games. 2 years into their lifetime...

Do we really need pointless remasters like GoW 3 and Uncharted Collection? MS and Ninty are handling remasters mostly fine, but some other companies... Halo: MCC was good on paper, but the online should've been better.

dafuq? How is Sony handling remasters any worse than MS or Nintendo?  Now you're just splitting hairs.

Nintendo only remastered one game this gen.

And I already explained it thoroughly in this thread.

yes I see now.  Well luckily others have already called you out.

Yeah, no.

They just said it sold well, so that's why it was needed. None of the games Sony remastered needed one from an entertainment perspective.

I guess we're just gonna ignore what I said about how the Uncharted Collection was highly requested by Xbox 360 owners who jumped ship, or how the collections in general started because fans asked for them. 

If you're gonna blindly make a claim that none of the remasters were needed, then I'm gonna point out SEVERAL examples that falsify that. Sly Collection, made by Sanzaru as both a test to see if the series had pull still and also as a working tech demo for Sly 4. Ratchet, where they actively remade the multiplayer components of UYA and DL JUST to please the minority of fans who wanted to keep the PS2 servers up. Jak, at the time a way to drum up interest in a potential fourth game from ND. God of War, a series I loathe, got an HD collection because 2 was released on the PS2 well after people had moved onto the PS3 and because the PSP games deserved to be played by the core GoW fans. So on and so forth. The only two I'd say weren't needed at all were GoW3PS4 and TLoUR, but even then I CAN see the reasoning for the latter. I'll never understand why they only ported 3 when the rest of the series (minus Ascension) has been reworked already and could easily have been upscaled for the PS4.

You wanna piss and moan about Sony remasters? Go ahead, but only do so for the ones that were problems. I'm not gonna complain about the GoW XBO remaster just because I personally don't care about it, so long as it doesn't have crippling issues like MCC had. Complain for real reasons please, not bias. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Intrinsic said:

I love and I hate all remasters equally. But I also at least have the sense to understand their worth. 

So they're your children then essentially?