By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Extra Credits] A Generation of Remasters - Welcome Updates or Troubling Omens?

GribbleGrunger said:

I wonder why there's a sudden surge in dislike of remasters?

There are just too many of them in a short time frame and too little other first party titles to make up for it.

It's a bit like kids with sweets. Kids love sweets, but if they'll eat tons of sweets every day they grow to hate them later on due to overuse.

Also, many of these remasters are from fairly recent titles released at the end of the last console gen, meaning that the original versions are still on sale in most shops. Very few of these remasters are from games which you can't readely find anywhere anymore, which is also why Wind Waker HD, Halo MCC and the upcoming Final Fantasy VII remaster get much less backlash in this regard.

Around the Network

I don't mind the remasters really. As been said before, as long as it doesn't take away from development on newer projects....I'm fine with it.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Rafie said:
I don't mind the remasters really. As been said before, as long as it doesn't take away from development on newer projects....I'm fine with it.

One could argue that some remasters do. As the video pointed out FFVII remake is one of those... Though is a complete remake a remaster?

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

I remember a time people hated multiplatform development as much as remasters now. It takes time away from the gameplay development etc. Nowadays a lot of people prefer multiplatform games as they have deeper pockets and can spend more on production than exclusives. (with the exception of a few flagship titles)

So now exclusives follow suit by becoming cross generational titles to draw more income, which can be used to finance new and more extravagant exclusives.

As long as there is a market for them, they'll keep coming. So if you don't want them, don't buy them.
I won't be buying GOW3, Gears collection, Uncharted collection, Rare replay, or even FF7. Not because I dislike remasters, because I'm already severely backlogged in current gen games, no time to play old games again.

I was happy to play TR definitive edition, Diablo 3 and GTA5 on ps4, since I had not played them before. Flower and Journey were fun to play again too, didn't take too much time and were free upgrades. The only game I double dipped in this gen was Tlou, that game was simply great and I had a lot of fun with photo mode.

Anyway let new users buy remasters and help fund new exclusives. I see nothing wrong with that.

Shadow1980 said:

I commented on the issue of remasters in another thread here. I also made a comment on that video's page, where I stated:

[R]egarding the whole risk-versus-reward aspect of both remaking/remastering old games or developing entirely new games, it's obviously a result of higher development costs. Had we simply been fine with 2D sprite-based games for the past 20 years, I imagine the costs of development would have been much lower. For example, if FFVII had graphics more in tune with FFVI, just with higher-res and more detailed sprites, with no 3D models or CGI cinematics, it wouldn't have cost what it did. Instead of being the most expensive game ever made at the time ($45 million in 1997 dollars), it would have likely had a more manageable budget of perhaps no greater than $5 million, which was at the upper end of the norm for fifth-gen games.

But that wouldn't have been good enough for gamers. We always want more out of our gaming experiences. We want better graphics, bigger worlds, and longer more epic-scale experiences. Some genres would have been impossible to make using 2D sprite-based graphics. Graphical technology and computer power had to progress for gameplay to progress. But that progress came at a price. Nowadays the average cost of a new AAA game is on the order of $20-40 million, so what was an extreme outlier in 1997 is now increasingly the norm.

And while development costs have increased several orders of magnitude over the past 30 years, retail costs have declined. While I can't speak for other countries, in the U.S. inflation-adjusted retail prices for games peaked in the early 90s, with some games costing well in excess of $100 in today's dollars. This has been offset somewhat by the fact that gaming has become more mainstream over the past 30 years with software sales having grown considerably (SMB3 was the first and for a few years the only console game not originally bundled with a system to sell over 10 million copies for years, and SM64 is the only other one from the 20th century to pass that mark; now we have several 10+ million sellers every year). However, you can't fully offset three orders of magnitude with only one, because if it did then we wouldn't hear of games selling several million copies being called "failures" by their publisher. A million copies was once a huge milestone, but not anymore. Gamers are also increasingly unwilling to tolerate a retail price of more than $60 (a price point first introduced when the Xbox 360 debuted nearly a decade ago), which is why DLC is becoming more and more prevalent; by providing lower-cost, higher-margin optional add-ons, you can get at least some gamers to spend closer to what they were spending back in the 16-bit era. If gamers want to continue enjoying the latest cutting edge AAA gaming experiences without paying more than $60 at retail, well, remasters, remakes, and even DLC are the additional price we're going to have to pay to make up for increasing development costs.

Very well written, and this is also the reason why I think the new industry standard for game price should be as high as 75$. People can whine about DLC et. al. as much as they want, but it's only because we pay less per game than we did before. Of course no one would accept a 75$ per copy price, which is why the AAA model is becoming increasingly difficult for publishers.  Not to mention that the entire industry would have to co-operate to set the new price standard at 75$, which would also be particularly hard.

Around the Network

I dont care much for remasters... but i still want a mass effect trilogy and Skyrim remasters. Mostly because the atrocious loading times held back the experiences. Hope they do those.

As for the post above. I agree. US customers are getting a very sweet deal. Its not the same story in europe (continental at least). We are paying way more for the same games. That destiny that costs 60$ costs 70€ here. Wich probably results in something like 80$.

Some people talking about games being more expensive and we already pay nearly 40% more for new games in my country compared to the U.S... plz no

PenguinZ said:
Rafie said:

One could argue that some remasters do. As the video pointed out FFVII remake is one of those... Though is a complete remake a remaster?

FF7 remake isn't a remaster. In fact, the only thing it has in common with the original is the name story and characters. Chances are that even the story would be told differently. They could very well call it FF16. 

When I was young, we just didn't buy games we weren't interested in. But I still got Super Mario All-Stars anyway. And Link's Awakening DX. And Doom for GBA. And Super Street Fighter 2 for PS3. Oh, and of course Resident Evil for the Gamecube - no, not the remake, but part 2, 3 and Code Veronica. Just Remakes. Yeah, and then there was of course 10 years Command and Conquer on the PC as well as the Elder Scrolls collection and let's not forget about Call of Duty Classic on PS3 and....

Remasters have always been around. So just relax. You don't want remasters, you don't buy them, simple as that.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Nem said:

I dont care much for remasters... but i still want a mass effect trilogy and Skyrim remasters. Mostly because the atrocious loading times held back the experiences. Hope they do those.

These versions of Mass Effect 1 - 3 and Skyrim with much better loading times already exist... they named them "PC-versions". ;)