By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Extra Credits] A Generation of Remasters - Welcome Updates or Troubling Omens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZdiPdn-JWY&spfreload=10

Video description:

"Making new content is expensive, time-consuming, and risk. Many publishers have fallen back on remastering their previous games, where they only need to upscale the graphics and can rely on an existing fanbase to buy the game again. This risk averse approach to publishing has led the current generation of consoles to be dominated by remasters instead of new AAA titles. Remasters can make old games more accessible, but recently they've been focused on simply updating last gen games that many people could still easily play. But truly old titles have become so out-of-date that any remaster would require the game to be built from the ground up, as we're seeing right now with the Final Fantasy VIII remake, and cost just as much as a brand new game. Despite the trend of games being remastered, then, many classic games are actually being ignored."

I enjoyed it and their channel is very nice. So here you go.

Around the Network

We're getting plenty of new games and remasters don't take much time so I don't mind.

I am Iron Man

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of remasters. But this anti remaster thing has to stop.

I don't mind remakes or reboots as they actually should be called.

They way I see it there are two things to be considered when it comes to remasters. 1) They actually do serve a purpose. These publishers wouldn't invest in them if people didn't buy them. Its that simple. So in truth, the people complaining about them either have already played them or would never have played them anyways. The people new to them are just happy with them.

And 2) How many remasters are there out there, really? Some people make it sound like publishers are so invested in remasters and have abandon making new games. Which isn't true either.

He even mentions it in his video:

The 7th gen got tons of remasters too. Yet, oh look, 7th gen magically got tons of great new games! Who could have ever dreamed that there could be such a place were new games and remasters could co-exist? Blasphemy! 7th gen never took place!

In addition, his argument that these remasters are getting more attention and PR than before is just flat out wrong. We have gotten two remasters this gen that has gotten a lot of attention and PR, and those are for obvious reasons. Those two being Halo MCC and TLOUR

Halo MCC (which, btw, has the second game completely remade, so his argument that it costs less is just wrong) got a lot of attention because..... it's f'in Halo, the xbox staple franchise, and a series that sells about 10 million for each mainline franchise.

TLOUR got a lot of attention because......it was like the most awarded game of the millenia, and therefore the hype was still strong a year after release.

Then we have the argument that these games take resources from developers which could be used for new games.

Often, remasters are done by completely different teams, in fact, there are even quite a few teams that specializes on remasters. And also, remasters don't take that much resources to make, so even if they are made by the same team, like TLOUR, it hardly takes away much from the base team. You also have to factor in that these remasters support costs for new games, which makes it easier to take risks with new games, instead of just releasing the safe moneymakers (That is so ironic, considering that these remasters are safe moneymakers, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. If you release one safe moneymaker, that makes it a bit easier to take the risk af a game that might not perform as well). Of course, remasters do take away some of the resources a team has, but not in a substantial amount, and even then, the returns from the remaster might be put back into the base team which, oh look, gives you more resources for new games!

People are overreacting, but it's the internet, so I'm not sure what I really expected...

Remasters aren't stopping new games from coming. Most of the remasters are being used to fill in gaps where there would be no games. It's not like Sony would magically have something to substitute for The Nathan Drake Collection if it wasn't releasing this Fall.

As long as there is a market for them, publishers will continue to remaster games from previous generations. Personally, I just buy the ones I want and ignore the ones I don't. Just because I don't particularily like a certain game, doesn't mean someone else won't.

Around the Network

remasters are a cheap cash grab, as i and many others have stated in other threads today. its really as simple as that.

Intrinsic said:
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of remasters. But this anti remaster thing has to stop.

I don't mind remakes or reboots as they actually should be called.

They way I see it there are two things to be considered when it comes to remasters. 1) They actually do serve a purpose. These publishers wouldn't invest in them if people didn't buy them. Its that simple. So in truth, the people complaining about them either have already played them or would never have played them anyways. The people new to them are just happy with them.

And 2) How many remasters are there out there, really? Some people make it sound like publishers are so invested in remasters and have abandon making new games. Which isn't true either.

The majority of games in the top 20 on metacritic (PS4/XBONE) are remasters/cross-gen games. 2 years into their lifetime...

Do we really need pointless remasters like GoW 3 and Uncharted Collection? MS and Ninty are handling remasters mostly fine, but some other companies... Halo: MCC was good on paper, but the online should've been better.

Teeqoz said:
He even mentions it in his video:

The 7th gen got tons of remasters too. Yet, oh look, 7th gen magically got tons of great new games! Who could have ever dreamed that there could be such a place were new games and remasters could co-exist? Blasphemy! 7th gen never took place!

In addition, his argument that these remasters are getting more attention and PR than before is just flat out wrong. We have gotten two remasters this gen that has gotten a lot of attention and PR, and those are for obvious reasons. Those two being Halo MCC and TLOUR

Halo MCC (which, btw, has the second game completely remade, so his argument that it costs less is just wrong) got a lot of attention because..... it's f'in Halo, the xbox staple franchise, and a series that sells about 10 million for each mainline franchise.

TLOUR got a lot of attention because......it was like the most awarded game of the millenia, and therefore the hype was still strong a year after release.

Then we have the argument that these games take resources from developers which could be used for new games.

Often, remasters are done by completely different teams, in fact, there are even quite a few teams that specializes on remasters. And also, remasters don't take that much resources to make, so even if they are made by the same team, like TLOUR, it hardly takes away much from the base team. You also have to factor in that these remasters support costs for new games, which makes it easier to take risks with new games, instead of just releasing the safe moneymakers (That is so ironic, considering that these remasters are safe moneymakers, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. If you release one safe moneymaker, that makes it a bit easier to take the risk af a game that might not perform as well). Of course, remasters do take away some of the resources a team has, but not in a substantial amount, and even then, the returns from the remaster might be put back into the base team which, oh look, gives you more resources for new games!

People are overreacting, but it's the internet, so I'm not sure what I really expected...

the remasters in the seventh generation came during the last 2 to 3 years, and were used as a cash grab back then as well. when the generation started, the ps3 and 360 were being supported like every normal console that started in a new generation. great content was made, and this lasted until about 2011 when things took a sharp turn for the worse. around this time (2011, 2012) we had pretty much seen everything that the ps3 and 360 are capable of. sony and ms started squeezing as much life out of these consoles as they could with new bundles and sony is especially guilty with the remasters. at this point, the PS3 did not net the kind of money sony was after, so i suspect that is why they shoveled all the remasters onto the system. 

so no, remasters did not come at the expense of great games, but when you look at the last couple years of gen 7, it was COMPLETELY different than the first couple years. remasters were flooding the ps3 and it still hasnt stopped. in this sense, i dont see there being a transition from gen 7 to gen 8. i think the transition into this current generation took place somewhere around the end of gen 7. the way developers have handled video games has not changed even though new consoles have come out. the philosophy has stayed the same, so the lines between these two generations are extremely blurry. 

to reiterate, the later years of gen 7 have so much in common with gen 8 while the first 4 to 5 years of gen 7 have not much in common with the later years of gen 7.

Samus Aran said:

The majority of games in the top 20 on metacritic (PS4/XBONE) are remasters/cross-gen games. 2 years into their lifetime...

Do we really need pointless remasters like GoW 3 and Uncharted Collection? MS and Ninty are handling remasters mostly fine, but some other companies... Halo: MCC was good on paper, but the online should've been better.

Really? So its wrong to have an uncharted collection remaster but OK to have a halo or gears of ear remaster. Its wring to have a GOW3 or TLoU remaster but OK to have a windwaker HD remaster? Can you string one sentence together without making your anti Sony stance evident?

I love and I hate all remasters equally. But I also at least have the sense to understand their worth. I for one skipped every major game released in 2013 cause I was secretly hoping they get remastered for the PS4 when it released later in the year. I ended up playing Dark souls 2, GTA5, Tomb raider, TLoU, Metro and Journey all for the first time on my PS4. And mine is even an extreme case cause there are lots of gamers that didn't have a platform last gen or were simply too young to get into certain games that remasters will cater to. 

Look at MS, they are making remasters for gears and halo... on one hand it may seem they aren't making that many remasters, has it crossed you mind that gears and halo are the two primary IPs that Xbox has? That would be like Sony has way more IPs and thus the volume of remasters naturally should be higher. 

And fact still remains, remasters aren't stopping new games from being released. And like everything on the planet, if there wasn't a market for it and they didn't make money, everyone wouldn't be doing it. 

Intrinsic said:
Samus Aran said:

Really? So its wrong to have an uncharted collection remaster but OK to have a halo or gears of ear remaster. Its wring to have a GOW3 or TLoU remaster but OK to have a windwaker HD remaster? Can you string one sentence together without making your anti Sony stance evident?

Halo: MCC had a full remake of Halo 2 along with remasters of all the other main Halo games... Halo: MCC had all the multiplayer stuff from all the Halo games... The Uncharted Collection ditched all the online multiplayer... It's such a lazy effort.

Gears of War Remaster gets a big graphical overhaul (bigger than any of Sony's remasters) and it has lot's of new online multiplayer content that the original Gears of War on the XBOX360 never had. And according to wiki: "Ultimate Edition will feature five unreleased chapters of the campaign of the original game and players who purchased the Ultimate Edition can participate in the multiplayer beta of Gears of War 4, which is set to be released in 2016."[100]

Wind Waker HD was built form scratch (they lost the original build): the lighting, textures, shadows, etc. are all reworked and improved considerably. The resolution gets a big upgrade from 480p to 1080p, much bigger than the one from GoW 3 R or the Uncharted Collection. The controls are improved considerably thanks to the gamepad. The entire soundtrack is orchestrated... They added the swift sail to make sailing much less tedious. They added miiverse integration which made the world feel more alive. They improved upon the final triforce fetch quest to make it a lot less tedious.

Good enough for you? What Sony did is just a resolution and framerate upgrade.