By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Extra Credits] A Generation of Remasters - Welcome Updates or Troubling Omens?

Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I wonder why there's a sudden surge in dislike of remasters?

Probably because some of 'em think it's a chink in the armor of the ps4 so they keep going after it. 

Remasters are optional and they don't eat up resources at all, if anything the sales of 'em give more resources to use with making other games. Fact is the things sell so until they stop selling, there will be remasters.

Why is Sony's first party line-up so poor then so far? Uncharted 4 is delayed as well.

It's not universily considered poor by gamers. I can see why some of xbox and nintendo camp might think that considering that each console focuses on different genres than the others. Someone who dislikes platformers and nintendo like games will think nintendo's line up is poor. It is no different with xbox or playstation if you switch the genres around. 

Personally, I don't care for 'em but if 360 and wii owners are buying remastered PS3 games because they missed out on 'em then I don't see any point of slinging mud at it. 

Around the Network
RubberWhistleHistle said:
Teeqoz said:
He even mentions it in his video:

The 7th gen got tons of remasters too. Yet, oh look, 7th gen magically got tons of great new games! Who could have ever dreamed that there could be such a place were new games and remasters could co-exist? Blasphemy! 7th gen never took place!

In addition, his argument that these remasters are getting more attention and PR than before is just flat out wrong. We have gotten two remasters this gen that has gotten a lot of attention and PR, and those are for obvious reasons. Those two being Halo MCC and TLOUR

Halo MCC (which, btw, has the second game completely remade, so his argument that it costs less is just wrong) got a lot of attention because..... it's f'in Halo, the xbox staple franchise, and a series that sells about 10 million for each mainline franchise.

TLOUR got a lot of attention because......it was like the most awarded game of the millenia, and therefore the hype was still strong a year after release.

Then we have the argument that these games take resources from developers which could be used for new games.

Often, remasters are done by completely different teams, in fact, there are even quite a few teams that specializes on remasters. And also, remasters don't take that much resources to make, so even if they are made by the same team, like TLOUR, it hardly takes away much from the base team. You also have to factor in that these remasters support costs for new games, which makes it easier to take risks with new games, instead of just releasing the safe moneymakers (That is so ironic, considering that these remasters are safe moneymakers, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. If you release one safe moneymaker, that makes it a bit easier to take the risk af a game that might not perform as well). Of course, remasters do take away some of the resources a team has, but not in a substantial amount, and even then, the returns from the remaster might be put back into the base team which, oh look, gives you more resources for new games!

People are overreacting, but it's the internet, so I'm not sure what I really expected...

the remasters in the seventh generation came during the last 2 to 3 years, and were used as a cash grab back then as well. when the generation started, the ps3 and 360 were being supported like every normal console that started in a new generation. great content was made, and this lasted until about 2011 when things took a sharp turn for the worse. around this time (2011, 2012) we had pretty much seen everything that the ps3 and 360 are capable of. sony and ms started squeezing as much life out of these consoles as they could with new bundles and sony is especially guilty with the remasters. at this point, the PS3 did not net the kind of money sony was after, so i suspect that is why they shoveled all the remasters onto the system. 

so no, remasters did not come at the expense of great games, but when you look at the last couple years of gen 7, it was COMPLETELY different than the first couple years. remasters were flooding the ps3 and it still hasnt stopped. in this sense, i dont see there being a transition from gen 7 to gen 8. i think the transition into this current generation took place somewhere around the end of gen 7. the way developers have handled video games has not changed even though new consoles have come out. the philosophy has stayed the same, so the lines between these two generations are extremely blurry. 

to reiterate, the later years of gen 7 have so much in common with gen 8 while the first 4 to 5 years of gen 7 have not much in common with the later years of gen 7.

They were around from the day the 360 came out. They were just called multi platform releases :p even though the 360 versions came later and had HD visuals/better frame rates etc. Many of the evil 8th gen "cash ins", such as The Last Of Us, could very easily be categorised in exactly the same manner as games like Burnout Revenge and the plethora of other cross gen titles.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Aeolus451 said:
Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I wonder why there's a sudden surge in dislike of remasters?

Probably because some of 'em think it's a chink in the armor of the ps4 so they keep going after it. 

Remasters are optional and they don't eat up resources at all, if anything the sales of 'em give more resources to use with making other games. Fact is the things sell so until they stop selling, there will be remasters.

Why is Sony's first party line-up so poor then so far? Uncharted 4 is delayed as well.

It's not universily considered poor by gamers. I can see why some of xbox and nintendo camp might think that considering that each console focuses on different genres than the others. Someone who dislikes platformers and nintendo like games will think nintendo's line up is poor. It is no different with xbox or playstation if you switch the genres around. 

Personally, I don't care for 'em but if 360 and wii owners are buying remastered PS3 games because they missed out on 'em then I don't see any point of slinging mud at it. 

Lol, where's the proof of that? Time and time again it has been proven that people will buy the same game twice or even trice (just look at Monster Hunter and Pokémon).

Sony PR I guess?

Anyway you ignored a mod's warning...

And there's much more than platformers on a Nintendo console, lol.

Conina said:
Nem said:

I dont care much for remasters... but i still want a mass effect trilogy and Skyrim remasters. Mostly because the atrocious loading times held back the experiences. Hope they do those.

These versions of Mass Effect 1 - 3 and Skyrim with much better loading times already exist... they named them "PC-versions". ;)

PC is only for RTS, FPS and MMO. Didnt you get the memo? :P

Nah... but basically the genres that lend themselves to mouse and keyboard controls.

Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:

Lol, where's the proof of that? Time and time again it has been proven that people will buy the same game twice or even trice (just look at Monster Hunter and Pokémon).

Sony PR I guess?

I didn't see the mod warning til after I posted. I don't read a thread from the back to the front. Also, my post is on topic and I'm just answering your question.  Anyway, you're saying that it's proven that people (I assume you mean the majority) will buy the same game multiple times and yet provided no proof yourself. You didn't comprehend the part you bolded in my post.

"Personally, I don't care for 'em but if  (keyword) 360 and wii owners are buying remastered PS3 games because they missed out on 'em then I don't see any point of slinging mud at it."  

Another way to word it is "If people are buying remasters because they never played them before, there's no reason to hate on it."

Here's another way to put it. "If this is the case, people shouldn't treat it as bad thing".

I did not pose it as factual statement unlike what you did with "Time and time again it has been proven that people will buy the same game twice or even trice (just look at Monster Hunter and Pokémon)."

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:

Sony PR I guess?

I didn't see the mod warning til after I posted. I don't read a thread from the back to the front. Also, my post is on topic and I'm just answering your question.  Anyway, you're saying that it's proven that people (I assume you mean the majority) will buy the same game multiple times and yet provided no proof yourself. You didn't comprehend the part you bolded in my post.

"Personally, I don't care for 'em but if  (keyword) 360 and wii owners are buying remastered PS3 games because they missed out on 'em then I don't see any point of slinging mud at it."  

Another way to word it is "If people are buying remasters because they never played them before, there's no reason to hate on it."

Here's another way to put it. "If this is the case, people shouldn't treat it as bad thing".

I did not pose it as factual statement unlike what you did with "Time and time again it has been proven that people will buy the same game twice or even trice (just look at Monster Hunter and Pokémon)."

I take it you've never been to a Pokémon convention or Pokémon forum. It's pretty common to buy both games, especially during the first two generations. You think different (Japanese) people bought Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate? They were mostly people who also owned Monster Hunter 4. The proof is in the respective boosts both games gave to the 3DS hardware when (and after) they launched.

I owned Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow...

I don't necesarily mean the majority, I mean a considerable amount of people double dip. I know people who own 5 3DS's...

Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:
Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:

Sony PR I guess?

I take it you've never been to a Pokémon convention or Pokémon forum. It's pretty common to buy both games, especially during the first two generations. You think different (Japanese) people bought Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate? They were mostly people who also owned Monster Hunter 4. The proof is in the respective boosts both games gave to the 3DS hardware when (and after) they launched.

I owned Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow...

I don't necesarily mean the majority, I mean a considerable amount of people double dip. I know people who own 5 3DS's...

I haven't played any Pokemon stuff. it doesn't really interest me. Why buy both versions of a game when it releases? Collector? I know of one person who will buy a game and buy the GOTY version with all the DLC when it comes out. He likes to collect game related things, I guess.

I sometimes will buy a GOTY version of game long after I traded in the copy I had.

Aeolus451 said:

I haven't played any Pokemon stuff. it doesn't really interest me. Why buy both versions of a game when it releases? Collector? I know of one person who will buy a game and buy the GOTY version with all the DLC when it comes out. He likes to collect game related things, I guess.

I sometimes will buy a GOTY version of game long after I traded in the copy I had.

Before we had online trading people often bought both games to get all the Pokémon. Also Pokémon games only have one safe file, so if someone in your family wants to play the game you need a new copy. And yeah, people also like collecting (especially Pokémon fans, who knew? :p)

As for Monster Hunter, it just has a very dedicated and hardcore fanbase.

Yo-kai Watch is heading the same way with Yo-kai Watch 2 and Yo-kai Watch 2.5 (no doubt many people double dipped).

Samus Aran said:
Intrinsic said:
Samus Aran said:

The majority of games in the top 20 on metacritic (PS4/XBONE) are remasters/cross-gen games. 2 years into their lifetime...

Do we really need pointless remasters like GoW 3 and Uncharted Collection? MS and Ninty are handling remasters mostly fine, but some other companies... Halo: MCC was good on paper, but the online should've been better.

Really? So its wrong to have an uncharted collection remaster but OK to have a halo or gears of ear remaster. Its wring to have a GOW3 or TLoU remaster but OK to have a windwaker HD remaster? Can you string one sentence together without making your anti Sony stance evident?

Halo: MCC had a full remake of Halo 2 along with remasters of all the other main Halo games... Halo: MCC had all the multiplayer stuff from all the Halo games... The Uncharted Collection ditched all the online multiplayer... It's such a lazy effort.

Gears of War Remaster gets a big graphical overhaul (bigger than any of Sony's remasters) and it has lot's of new online multiplayer content that the original Gears of War on the XBOX360 never had. And according to wiki: "Ultimate Edition will feature five unreleased chapters of the campaign of the original game and players who purchased the Ultimate Edition can participate in the multiplayer beta of Gears of War 4, which is set to be released in 2016."[100]

Wind Waker HD was built form scratch (they lost the original build): the lighting, textures, shadows, etc. are all reworked and improved considerably. The resolution gets a big upgrade from 480p to 1080p, much bigger than the one from GoW 3 R or the Uncharted Collection. The controls are improved considerably thanks to the gamepad. The entire soundtrack is orchestrated... They added the swift sail to make sailing much less tedious. They added miiverse integration which made the world feel more alive. They improved upon the final triforce fetch quest to make it a lot less tedious.

Good enough for you? What Sony did is just a resolution and framerate upgrade.

All of this is BS,but ok lol.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I don't think it's been an issue on Wii U or Xbone, but if I were a PS4 only owner it might bother me I guess, since there's been little else besides Bloodborne and a slew of remasters. Luckily MicroSony has a slew of amazing 3rd party games to rely on.

Seeing as how the PS4 is the highest selling console with mostbeing PS4 only owners I'd say we are all satisfid mostly.I personally have enjoyed all of the exclsuives except Bloodborne and Knack so yeah,try again.