By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do Wii U owners feel disappointed?

I don't have a Wii U, since I've decided to be a PC User and I don't regret it so far.

But... If I had to choose one console this gen, I would go with Wii U, since it has unique games like Super Mario 3D World, Splatoon, Yoshi Wooly World, and the incoming Super Mario Maker that looks great too.

I honestly would not buy a PS4 or a XOne. Their games are very similar to what I play on PC.

Around the Network

i'll be more pissed off if the fuck up the NX (assuming home console) without learning from its Wii U mistakes.

I don't think any company should try to breath life into a dead console. They through lots at it already so people should be happy.

I guess people should look in the mirror and say Do i want Nintendo to succeed or do I want them to go 3rd party? If its the first than they should accept hard actions need to be done to correct the mistakes of the current system, if the later go put down a deposit on a PS5 or next xbox for launch.

No, I have great time with Wii U. So many great exclusives available and more are coming.

If price for NX is affordable i will probably get one on launch.

Yes, a lot. But not because of the NX. It's simply because its game are underwhelming. Besides Splatoon, a remaster and Mario Kart 8... everything else felt "okay-ish". Nothing amazing, creative, spetacular, or even just good.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It's a mixed bag from me.
I have had a great time with my Wii U and continue to do so. The full backwards compatibility was fantastic! Some of the games I have played on it are some of the best games I've EVER played (eg Bayonetta 2, MK8,) and through the EShop I have found some gems such as Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo, Shovel Knight and The Swapper. This, combined with games still on the horizon makes me think that the Wii U has easily been worth my time.

However, the first time I truly felt disappointed was at the last E3. I know I know, they are moving towards NX but the lack of games and the failure to even talk about some of the games they should be showing off ( Fast Racing Neo, Project Zero, Zelda) really left me flat.

When the console was released Nintendo stated that the Wii U could work with 2 gamepads simultaneously. I immediately thought of games like Madden where 2 players playing local multiplayer could play a game together and pick their next plays secretly on the gamepad. Sadly the early loss of EA hurt the confidence in the console (as much as EA are dicks) and if anyone reading this has tried to play Hyrule Warriors in local co-op you'll know that the Wii U console slowed down and often crashed when trying to render the game both on the screen and the gamepad. Wii U just didn't quite deliver on what it set out to do.

If Nintendo just support the Wii U a little longer, and give us the damn Zelda game the console deserves it will go down as a fantastic experience in my eyes. But if it becomes the only console with no proper Zelda game, a 4 year life cycle with the worst 3rd party support ever seen then you have to say it has been a bit of a letdown.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
noname2200 said:

Assuming it releases in 2016, and assuming it's a home console, the NX would be out four years after the Wii U. That's one less than the normal five-year Nintendo cycle. And the hardware isn't great, while the software is sparse.

So no, not really. Why should we be, again?

Nintendo's console cycle actually averages to around 6 years. Or 5,91 years to be exact. But more importantly than when the next console comes out is up to what point the previous console recieves good support. And question is how it's going to look for WiiU on that front in 2016 and potentially 2017.

I don't think the bolded is true for their home consoles, at least not in North America.

NES - Oct. 1985

SNES - August 1991

N64 - Nov. 1996

Gamecube - Nov. 2001

Wii - Nov. 2006

Wii U - Nov. 2012

Their two most successful home consoles had six years before their successor launched, but the norm is five, with the rounding going down instead of up. And it's inarguable that the Wii U does not belong on the "most successful" list. As for the italicized, I'd shelve that logic for this discussion: not only is it subjective (now the Wii only had five years (at most) as well! And the Wii U maybe one...), and not only is it speculative as to what is coming out in the near future, but the original question asked whether the NX's likely 2016 release was itself the 'betrayal,' so the terms you posed somewhat change the topic.

I'm not disappointed in what my WiiU can do. Nintendo has to react to the market at some point. I think I could say I was mildy disappointed by gamepad utilization as a whole, but there are a few good experiences so far. I really think Splatoon, ZombiU and Metroid Blast on Nintendoland did a great job and we still have Mario Maker and Star Fox to try out(and potentially Zelda).

I have quite a few titles for it that are fun to play or were at least worth a completion or two. I think I have 44 WiiU games on disc and I was only really disappointed with a few of them.

Bayonetta 2 and Lego City: Undercover are two of the best games I've ever played and the first party stuff is top notch so as for quality it has excelled in my opinion.

My PS4 is collecting dust at the moment(Alien Isolation, Outlast and Shadow of Mordor were amazing). I just bought an Xone(Killer Instinct is great) in July and its got quite a bit of use, but I still play a lot of MK8, Splatoon, Smash and Super Mario 3D World.  That isn't a knock against PS4 or Xone either, it's just I did those types of games from 2000ish until 2012 when the WiiU came out. I hit a big back catalog of Wii games I passed over in Gen 7 plus the WiiU exclusives and some really good 3rd party games(Deus Ex, Shovel Knight, Child of LIght, Need for Speed, Skylanders Trap Team).

I plan on buying a WiiU sometime down the road. Nintendo platforms always quench my platformer quench.
WiiU+X1= best combo

Absolutely adored the snes, N64 and Gamecube but then when the wii came out it was quite a few years before I bought one cheap and then most of the time I was still playing gamecube games at least at the beginning. I bought a wii u at release but I've never had the value out of it that I got from earlier Nintendo consoles. It's piss-poor hardware quite frankly and I'm not keen on the gamepad at all. Yes there are some great games that I've enjoyed but the overall package is not great. I wouldn't recommend it to most people only those who are real fans of Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda because there isn't a lot else. Some of the so called great wii u games like Bayonetta 2 seem utterly rubbish to me but then I didn't like the earlier Bayonetta game.

I won't be getting a NX until its built up a reasonable amount of must-have software and if that doesn't happen I doubt I'll get one at all I guess.

I'd love to see the NX as a reasonably powerful console with beautiful and ambitious Mario and Zelda games and Nintendo competing with Sony and Microsoft again across all game genres.

Yes Im dissapointed, but not because they are teasing NX already. No that in fact makes me happy, Im dissapinted that they never delivered much of anything with WiiU. It will probably end up with less than half the library the GCN or N64 had which is just sad. But Im happy they are moving on because maybe they can get it right this time, I would hate to have to deal with many more years of this sad underpreforming Nintendo.