By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Youkai Watch Going To Flop In USA?

Tagged games:

Will Youkai Watch Succeed In The U.S. of A?

Success! 46 38.98%

Failure :( 25 21.19%

Meh... 38 32.20%

Pokemon Z! 9 7.63%

Total:118
Ljink96 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Its possible. I'm pretty sure a lot of persons doubted Pokemon before its debut in the west.

Very much so but remember, we were in the 90's. JRPGs and Anime were running wild at the time. That set the stage for Pokemon. I just don't think it has the same qualities of Pokemon that made the original so enjoyable.

The "mon" genre most popular representatives were Shin Megami tensei back then, thus Pokemon had nothing to do with popular animes/JRPGs at the time. JRPGs were all about the art of storytelling which was really kicking off in video games which made their success at the time (and pokemon story was ... meh) and popular animes were either DBZ/Sailor Moon for kids or scifi for teenagers (so nothing to do with Pokemon again).

Pokemon came as an UFO. Yokai Watch aesthethics are much less new or exciting, so I expect a decent success but nothing groundbreaking.

Around the Network

It's hard to say. Youkai Watch is far more "Japanese" than Pokemon. Most of the Youkai Watch monsters are directly lifted from Japanese folklore. That might not mean much, though, as kids in the west might just assume they're just really weird designs.

The Youkai Watch anime isn't quite as battle-centric as the Pokemon anime, either. It's more about the kid solving problems with and for spirits and youkai, plus a good deal of comedy.

I don't think it will be a massive success but, as with anything, it's going to depend on how much money they're willing to pour into marketing.

twintail said:
it's an extremely simplified Pokemon game that is designed for elementary kids.
that is why there is little hype on forums.

Kinda what I guessed but the same thing could have been said about Pokemon in the 90's when we were kids and we loved it and still do. Maybe it'll be this generation's Pokemon or something. And I'm being optimistic here, hoping that it'll take off like Pokemon like Nintendo is hoping but I just don't see it happening sadly.

pokoko said:
It's hard to say. Youkai Watch is far more "Japanese" than Pokemon. Most of the Youkai Watch monsters are directly lifted from Japanese folklore. That might not mean much, though, as kids in the west might just assume they're just really weird designs.

The Youkai Watch anime isn't quite as battle-centric as the Pokemon anime, either. It's more about the kid solving problems with and for spirits and youkai, plus a good deal of comedy.

I don't think it will be a massive success but, as with anything, it's going to depend on how much money they're willing to pour into marketing.

Yeah, yeah, that's what I was getting at. That cultural barrier is very high for this game. Kids in Japan understand it, but it's like American kids will be confused as hell and it'll go right over their heads. To be honest, I don't even think Marketing can make this game a success in US. Like I said, I'll give it a go just to see what it's like but...you know.

Most likely, yeah.

Hopefully, it doesn't flop as bad as something like Code Name Steam.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

With a strong Marketing, no.
That said, i doubt can be massive, but a flop? Nah...

I won't flop and it won't be the new Pokemon.

Nintendo and Level 5 will make everything they can to make YW popular in the west. It won't flop, but it won't become a hit.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

twintail said:
Ljink96 said:

Kinda what I guessed but the same thing could have been said about Pokemon in the 90's when we were kids and we loved it and still do. Maybe it'll be this generation's Pokemon or something. And I'm being optimistic here, hoping that it'll take off like Pokemon like Nintendo is hoping but I just don't see it happening sadly.

There is always that chance, for its designed for that young of an audience in mind. But I think the western world is a different place than then, especially in regards to anime.  I personally dont see the anime having that much of an effect like it did in Japan. But, to answer the original question about the lack of hype, I am sure its because the ppl who use forums mostly just dont care. will be interesting to see how it does though. 

Shoulda thought about posting this before as like you said, it's a very kiddy game and hype is super low but I'm glad people are at least talkinga bout it a bit.

The Game receives a special Nintendo of America Westernization gift. Of course this will distract many people over the age of 10. Look what Nintendo of Europe has done to Inazuma Eleven.

Time will show the Success of Failure of Yo-Kai Watch.

By the way. Is "Meh" the ultimate word for everything you dislike? Gosh, some people overuse this damn word.

Be aware: English is not my native language. The Internetz is the only place I'm partly speaking this smooth language. And because my Signature is so boring, feel free to insert a lame Boob-Joke here: [Insert lame Boob-Joke here]

Warning: Nintendo and Übel Blatt Fangirl alert