By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Youkai Watch Going To Flop In USA?

Tagged games:

Will Youkai Watch Succeed In The U.S. of A?

Success! 46 38.98%

Failure :( 25 21.19%

Meh... 38 32.20%

Pokemon Z! 9 7.63%

Total:118

Hasn't had enough coverage yet. Is the anime being aired in the West soon?

Around the Network

My guess is the target audience isn't represented on this forum. They have an anime coming over too, correct? My guess is modest success on first game, but possibly see it grow with each successive installment. Certainly have plenty of games already to pick from to localize.

Ljink96 said:
twintail said:
it's an extremely simplified Pokemon game that is designed for elementary kids.
that is why there is little hype on forums.

Kinda what I guessed but the same thing could have been said about Pokemon in the 90's when we were kids and we loved it and still do. Maybe it'll be this generation's Pokemon or something. And I'm being optimistic here, hoping that it'll take off like Pokemon like Nintendo is hoping but I just don't see it happening sadly.

I don't think Nintendo wants this game to be a smashing success, because chances are, it could cannibalize pokemon sales, which would hurt Nintendo.

Depends on how much the anime has an impact on the game's sales.

Since there's no Pokemon this year, it has a good chance of doing well.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I doubt it will flop, that said I don't expect it to do nearly as well over here as in Japan. I think it may be similar to Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, able to sell 3-4 million in Japan and another 1 million in the West.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Koinzell said:
The Game receives a special Nintendo of America Westernization gift. Of course this will distract many people over the age of 10. Look what Nintendo of Europe has done to Inazuma Eleven.

Time will show the Success of Failure of Yo-Kai Watch.

By the way. Is "Meh" the ultimate word for everything you dislike? Gosh, some people overuse this damn word.

Well, I guess Meh is like give or take, might or might not in this situation...or don't really care. I don't usually use it I just know others do.

zorg1000 said:
I doubt it will flop, that said I don't expect it to do nearly as well over here as in Japan. I think it may be similar to Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, able to sell 3-4 million in Japan and another 1 million in the West.

That's also what I was thinking more towards. The game feels more like Dragon Quest x Pokemon which is why it probably sells so well in Japan. 1M in the west doesn't seem too farfetched and it wouldn't be considered a flop then of course.

Is there a TV show in US?, if not then I don't think so.

This sort of thing has just been done so many times already. I see little about this series that is even remotely interesting. (Not that I've looked really deep or anything, but the trailers look pretty bleh.)

It depends if it's able to interest kids. The anime is very popular and it's become the thing that all the kids take part in.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.