By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony financial results Q1 FY15, 663 million $ profit, PS4 ships 3 million

disturbing how little profit Sony is making despite the massive success of the PS4. says a lot about how poorly the other branches of their company are doing these days. I'm not sure one sector of theirs besides gaming is particularly profitable anymore and the biggest concern is how much debt that have in terms of keeping up with that

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Do what? 300K up YoY. Wow that sucker is really selling lots outside of Japan and USA where the independent trackers have a pretty tight handle on sales.

Dat mobile phone division. It's a millstone and it needs to be managed and not propped up by the profitability of the other divisions. TV is even becoming more profitable, with lower sales but higher operating income. Phone gets hit with a big negative FX impact, in fact the FX impact is larger than the operating loss.

PS4 is UP YoY in Japan and US too.

mountaindewslave said:

disturbing how little profit Sony is making despite the massive success of the PS4. says a lot about how poorly the other branches of their company are doing these days. I'm not sure one sector of theirs besides gaming is particularly profitable anymore and the biggest concern is how much debt that have in terms of keeping up with that

Gaming was the 5th most profitable segment, aka there were 4 segments more profitable to Sony than gaming and they have no problems keeping up with their debt. Not to mention they would've made an even higher profit if the Yen wasn't this weak.

Teeqoz said:
thismeintiel said:
My guess is PS3 shipments are probably on par or only slightly down from last quarter. Anyone have those numbers?

PS3 shipped 400k last month, and it might be about flat this quarter.

Guessing you meant last quarter.  And yea, can't imagine it being much less than 400K.  Fail to see the reason of not mentioning it, though.  It's not like it'll hurt anything.

thismeintiel said:
Teeqoz said:
thismeintiel said:
My guess is PS3 shipments are probably on par or only slightly down from last quarter. Anyone have those numbers?

PS3 shipped 400k last month, and it might be about flat this quarter.

Guessing you meant last quarter.  And yea, can't imagine it being much less than 400K.  Fail to see the reason of not mentioning it, though.  It's not like it'll hurt anything.

Loll yeah, I obviously meant last quarter xD

Sony systems have traditionally been up in the second calendar quarter (this quarter) so PS3 is most probably a bit above 400k this quarter.

Around the Network

Yeah those numbers are impressive.

Really can't wait to see how it does with a price cut and big exclusives

So did Sony make a profit all up in the end after everything?

Guitarguy said:

Huh?

Burek said:
bananaking21 said:

and they still havent given the damn thing a price drop yet. 

The way I see the price drop situation:

PS4 has about 70-90% of the market everywhere outside the US. And even there, it is ahead most of the time and in total.

So if they were to ramp up the US competition by dropping the price, they would most likely need to drop it everywhere which is not needed at all at this moment. So I think they will push on this holiday season at the same price with assistance of strong multiplat marketing muscle, and wait until next year to go cheaper.

(Of course, the $399 price will now be a 1TB console, and we can see some "temporary price cuts" on occasional weekly basis).

And this YOY jump just shows the power of strong multiplat offers (Mortal Kombat, Witcher, Batman) without need to rush 1st party games.

i just can't see ps4 not getting a price cut this year.  it'll be 2 years on the market and sony will want to make sure they don't lose momentum.  i think if anything this means the price cut will be small ($50 instead of $100).

Guitarguy said:

They had almost $800 million in profit for 1 quarter. What are you asking here?